Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap B+W postcards?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Cheap B+W postcards?

I see lots of websites that sell cheap promotional postcards, but I tend to distrust any cheap printer's ability to do a decent job with black and white photos in CMYK.

Does anyone have positive experiences? I have a show to publicize and a low budget.

Re: Cheap B+W postcards?

You could print them yourself using Ilford Postcard stock. I used to crank out around 50 or so at a time in a two hour printing session. It's RC so it holds up well in the mail, and it processes fast too. Should come in far, far lower than any commercial job and will allow you complete control over the results.

- Randy

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I have a show to publicize and a low budget.
    Not to hijack your thread, but can you tell us a bit about the show? Is it of your photographs?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by arkady n. View Post
    Not to hijack your thread, but can you tell us a bit about the show? Is it of your photographs?
    Yes. It's a completely last minute opportunity ... I've spent the last several days matting and framing old work. The show is up now (because the installation guy was only available yesterday) but there's been no opening, no announcements, not even a scrap of paper on the wall with my name it!

So I'm taking care of those details now.

Anyway the show is all black and white pictures from an urban landscape project I called Wilderness. The ones hanging in this show are all of the DUMBO neighborhood in Brooklyn, where I lived and photographed between 1995 and 2004.

It's at the Brooklyn Heights branch of the Brooklyn Public Library. They're interested in it because the neighborhood has changed so much ... ten year old pics are actually of historical interest now.

I'll make a more formal announcement when we've scheduled a reception, and at least have some writing to hang on the wall.

I'd rather get the postcards printed because I think it will be cheaper and easier than trying to do hundreds on a home printer or darkroom.

paul,
    I just looked at the work and it is really really good.

congrats.

You're better off tinting the image than hoping to get a neutral with the online printers. Unless you can do a press check, it is a crapshoot.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Thanks, david!

Frank, luckily the images are warm toned, but I'm still worried. I've seen similar images from good files come out green, purple, pink ... all kinds of attrocities. And this is from printers that do a pretty impressive job with color pics.

I read a recommendation for this company:
    http://www.PrintsMadeEasy.com/postcards.html

they use a xerox igen digital production press, which, according to its owners, is really good!

That's the same press as our "favorite" Lulu books ;-) It all depends on the operator of course... I wonder how they get heavy cover stock through it?

If you really want control and clean B&W repro, have a local real printer, an old school operation, do duotones with black and grey. Pretty foolproof IF the printer has done them before (or hasn't forgotten!). It would still be in the $3-400 range for a short run, but you could use a nice coated card stock or cover stock, 12pt card or 120# cover (same) or even 14pt.

Or use the online places and risk $75 to do a short run of CMYK pcards. You could redo them 3X if they blow it and still come out ahead.

Scott Brewer

I have been happy with Modern Postcard. The key is to tell them you do not want a color cast. They come out very neutral. The tones come out pretty close.
    NO, they will not be as good as your photos (maybe the digital Ilford way would) but I am not sure I want mine to be More reason to buy the real thing.

Scott

Yeah I agree, a place like Modern Postcard works with enough professional photographers that they actually understand that we want a neutral 4/c B&W image. Most of the online places do not, and won't go out of their way to accommodate you.