Thread: Sources for scan mounting tape?

Sources for scan mounting tape?

I've been using Kami scan mounting tape with Kami mounting fluid from aztek.com. It works well and doesn't leave a residue when mounting fluid gets on it. I've been wanting to get 3/4" tape but they only have 1/2 or 1" for $18/36 a roll. Aztek's shipping charges and sales tax cost about as much as a roll of tape. Call me cheap.

Prazio sells tessa tape but I don't see scan mounting tape on their site.
    Any other sources for this stuff?

Re: Sources for scan mounting tape?

Tesa is what I use. I don't know how it works compared to the Aztek tape, but it works very well in my experience. I use 1/2".

---Michael

I use tesa tape on top of the scan tape on each end for extra strength and on the edges to add tension to keep bubbles out. Kami mounting fluid dissolves the Tesa tape adhesive and requires lots of clean up so i only use it on top of the mylar overlay. Prazio says tesa doesn't get messy but I think that's only with their fluid. Michael, are you using Kami fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I use tesa tape on top of the scan tape on each end for extra strength and on the edges to add tension to keep bubbles out. Kami mounting fluid dissolves the Tesa tape adhesive and requires lots of clean up so i only use it on top of the mylar overlay. Prazio says tesa doesn't get messy but I think that's only with their fluid. Michael, are you using Kami fluid?
    Pitman offer Kami products, as well as Photex Scanner wipes at similar prices to Aztek and charge way less for shipping. They also supply AZ-42 mylar at about half the price of Aztek. Their website is not working today ( www.pitman.com ), but try calling. Last time I ordered a bottle of Kami fluid, they charged $6 for shipping! 1-888-274-8626

Like yourself, I use Kami fluid and Kami tape with overlay "pulls" of tesa if needed

Thanks Don. There site is/was working and I had to called them as well.
    The only thing that is quite a bit cheaper is the Kami mounting fluid. Everything else is a bit more than Aztek. The az-42 has to be ordered and it's the same price as Aztek.
    They don't sell 1/2 or 3/4 inch tesa tape, only 1" but I may get some anyway. Standard shipping is $8 plus tax to los angeles.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Thanks Don. There site is/was working and I had to called them as well.
    The only thing that is quite a bit cheaper is the Kami mounting fluid. Everything else is a bit more than Aztek. The az-42 has to be ordered and it's the same price as Aztek.
    They don't sell 1/2 or 3/4 inch tesa tape, only 1" but I may get some anyway. Standard shipping is $8 plus tax to los angeles.
    That's a bummer. Last time I ordered from them was last November - here were the prices then:

Part #: 258869
    Supplier Part #: 1337-00012
    Manufacturer: Kami USA Sales, Inc
    Description: KAMI Scnr Mounting Tape1/2 x 72 yrds (Catalog# 11-0080)
    Price: $21.50

Part #: 220544
    Supplier Part #: 1333-548026
    Manufacturer: BBA Fiberweb
    Description: BBA Photex Scanner Wipes 9" x 13" 100/Bx (Catalog# 4790645)
    Price: $24.08

Part #: 605753
    Supplier Part #: 1584-00040
    Manufacturer: Unimeca Corp. - Use 2012
    Description: UMC Tesa Tape 4900 1 x 60yd Roll 72/cs
    Price: $10.44

Part #: 545049
    Supplier Part #: 1458-az42911
    Manufacturer: Policrom Screens, USA
    Description: PLC AZ-42 Mylar 100s 9x 11 Scanner Overlay
    Price: $42.42

As you can see, the tape cost a little more, but the decent shipping cost made it cheaper than Aztek - the mylar was way cheaper!

Just waiting to be developed..

Vinny,

I use Kami and Tesa daily and it only minimally dissolves the adhesive. It also does depend on how long you leave it.
    Kami is mildly aggressive and it takes practice to mount with it. I haven't used the Kami scan tape in over 5 years!
    But I never tape the individual frames down to the drum unless they are cut 35mm chromes. Only then do i tape it to the mylar.
    It saves on cleanup later and helps prevent the dissolved adhesive from contacting the film.

I purchase my supplies from HA Metzger in NJ. Metzger supplies us with Kami SMF, Tesa 1/2 & 1", Mylar, Photex Wipes, Anchor Film Kleen (5 gal) and other miscellaneous pre press supplies. My contact is Derek at (800) 746-2332 x119 or press 0 for the operator.
    They are very nice and will work with you and there prices are definitely better than Pitmans.
    Pitman has been overpriced on a lot of pre press items and i personally have had a lot of trouble with there sales dept & customer support..

Btw, Tesa discontinued the 3/4" size. Something about lack of demand but if you buy one of those sea containers worth of it, they will slit if for you!!
    And another blow...Everyone should stock up on Kami fluids now. I just heard (but i am not surprised) that the price is going up soon. By 10% or more due to OIL!!.
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express