Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How are your ART sales this year?

Re: How are your ART sales this year?

So I went by the show and I sold three at the opening which is the same as the previous years. This is with a small $50 price increase from last year. The show is up through December and usually more sales follow.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

'Year' is also a complicated term to view uniformly, especially in light of the extraordinary recent and current events in the economy. Think how different today feels from even one month ago, and then how remote January feels. For whatever art sales have been in the first 3/4 of the year, I predict that from here on out they will be disastrously slow. I am lowering my expectations even lower for right now. As I like to say, we photographers are always wildebeests as the edge of the economic herd, just waiting to get picked off...

That having been said, I will hold my (almost) annual holiday print sale this year through my site, not because I expect to make much, if any money, but because I believe we should always be out there in whatever shape or form. I think people should see our work for sale in all economic climates, because it gives us constancy in the minds of our audiences, regardless whether they feel more or less disposed to buying. (The trick is not to outlay a lot in exhibition expenses on our end!) Art in America has a hard time establishing itself as something that is a readily present element in people's lives, because our utilitarian culture views it as ancillary, as not directly purposeful, when in fact, it is. This is especially true in tough economic times, when, to use a banal phrase, people definitely need their spirits picked up, to be inspired. And even if people don't buy our work, they see it, and in enjoying it (hopefully), they remember why it's important, something which, in better times again may help inspire them to buy something from us when they can.

I mean to encourage everyone, even in the face of our dour economic situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    So I went by the show and I sold three at the opening which is the same as the previous years. This is with a small $50 price increase from last year. The show is up through December and usually more sales follow.
    Bravo!

Thanks Claudio. On the commercial front though I have backed off my recent price increase on my fees (20&#37, though I am sticking with the price increase on expenses, asst fees, mileage etc.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk good to hear you made 3 sales.

Like I said art sales have been OK this year but like Claudio said the mood is different now. I just sold two 24x36 prints through my dealer in Chicago last week and two through my gallery in Charleston this week. One of my shows opens locally on the 13th of Nov. and the other on the 7th. Both are long term proven galleries so it's going to be interesting to see how things go. MY expectations are low so I won't be disappointed if sales are flat. I always say to my wife that I think of her and my art as long term investments. Eventually they sell.

Quote Originally Posted by claudiocambon View Post
    Art in America has a hard time establishing itself as something that is a readily present element in people's lives, because our utilitarian culture views it as ancillary, as not directly purposeful, when in fact, it is.
    Is it different in other countries ? I don't know well about the art market worldwide, but for sure it is considerably more difficult (which means virtually impossible) to make a living in France selling prints than in the America.

Can anyone comment about the relative gallery sales performance of B&W vs color prints?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    Is it different in other countries ? I don't know well about the art market worldwide, but for sure it is considerably more difficult (which means virtually impossible) to make a living in France selling prints than in the America.
    I should specify that art in general is kept more at arm's length in the US, but there is still a bigger art market here, especially for photography, compared, for example to Europe (I know nothing about print sales in Asia), although Europeans are better at embracing their artists and their art as an integral part of their culture. An interesting paradox.

Congrats, Don, on the sales. A friend of mine, a painter, just sold out most of his show in Atlanta this weekend, and he's not cheap, so it's anybody's guess as to what the market will bear.

I would NEVER prostitute my ART!!!!

Roughly translated... none of my stuff is selling!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Can anyone comment about the relative gallery sales performance of B&W vs color prints?

No idea about color since all of my work is B&W. I travel a good bit and most of the work in galleries that I see is B&W. I would say a good 80% is B&W. I'm talking higher end galleries like the Weston Gallery, A Gallery, Jackson Fine Art and etc. On the other hand I've seen a number of galleries like David Munche's in Jackson Wyoming, Thomas Mangelson in Omaha and a few others that sell only color nature work and seem to do just fine.

My wife and I have come to the conclusion that the gallery and artist must mesh in style and personality. There has to be a certain chemistry between both. Not every gallery will work for every artist or style of work. The gallery my wife has had exceptional success with in Charleston Sc. was only a fair sales outlet of me. My wifes shows would typically sell out by the end of the show where my sales were poor. I moved two blocks to another gallery in December of 07 and they have been my biggest seller this year. In less than a year they have sold more work than the other gallery up the street did in 4 years. The relationship between the gallery owner and myself and my wife has been exceptional in my old gallery. It was a casual go to dinner and meet for wine type of relationship. the new gallery is a much more formal relationship but the approach of the gallery for marketing and the enthusiasm for handling my work is much greater.