Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: New Novoflex 4 leg tripod system at Photokina

Re: New Novoflex 4 leg tripod system at Photokina

Dear Bob,

I joined this forum specifically to get in touch with you. I've made several attempts to get in touch with Novoflex, but so far no dice.

In Googling, this is basically the only feedback-oriented English-language reference online. I'm sure many people find this hoping for the same answers...So much that I would copy-paste this into a new posting so that it is not lost in the ranting pages prior (not your fault of course).

Here is an example email I sent, with all my relevant questions:

Dear To Whom It May Concern,

I do not speak German, but:
    (A) Will begin classes in one month
    (B) May visit you at Photokina
    (C) Either way will be in your great country within this year

Until then, my apologies for this English letter, which I have tried to make plain.

I am a new photographer building my first studio. I want to purchase almost everything you make. I have many questions about your quadropod:

1. The QB_V has both silver metal buttons adjescant the two angle-shifting legs, and a blue rotary dial encapsulated within the base. The description states that by pressing a button the angle may be changed--so I assume these metal knobs accomplish that--then what is the dial for? I assume releasing it again?

2. The QB_V seems to have the two shifting legs (under the 'bicycle saddle's seat') and optional fourth leg spaced apart from the single remaining leg (positioned under the 'bicycle saddle's horn')... basically they are off-centered from each-other. How does this affect the performance and balance? Also: In tripod-mode: They look to be possibly centered--are they? I can see them being 120 degrees apart, but maybe they're 110+125+125?

3. The pictures seem to show a ball-and-joint socket-style support structure shouldering each leg in the QB_C and QB_B, but the QB_V looks as though its legs are joined without this enforcement. Please explain any differences.

4. What material are the silver leg-joints fashioned out of? I assume Stainless-steel?

5. What are the individual weights of the quadropod components, particularly the legs?

6. What are the individual dimensional measurements?

7. What are the folded dimensions of the quadropod when assembled?

8. What is the folded length of the individual legs when separated from the base?

9. Are the legs anti-twist? Anything like G-lock?

10. How are the leg joints ratcheted, or held in-place? They look possibly to be the weak point in the structure.

11. How is vibration affected by the modular structure built of varied-material joints?

12. What are the vibration characteristics in general?

13. Is the foam-padding removable?

14. What is the construction of the CFibre?

15. I've never seen a tripod wherein the base sits completely atop (and even hangs over) the legs as opposed to centered between them with only mild overlap... how does this affect the apex, balance, rigidity, etc.?

16. How does the 'bicycle saddle' shape of the QB_V affect the same?

17. Is there anyway at all to mount a weight hook under any of your bases?

18. What force can the suction-cups withstand... individually? tripod-style? quadropod-style? This is perhaps my single greatest cause for concern as all professional s-cups that I've seen use a lever-plunger rather than a lip-seal, and these s-cups are either numerous (clusters of cups per leg) or generously proportioned (5-6 inches wide each). This very feature may be a deal-breaker for me if the tripod cannot really be used confidently on a moving vehicle.

19. Are any photos, or is any video footage, available of the quadropod beyond the handful of shots on your website?

20. Can we expect to see any more accessories (Gitzo-Explorer-type column especially)?

21. Most importantly of all: Your photos show the QB_V with fourth leg detached and the joint fitted with a short column with ballhead, used then as an inverted 'center-column'. This is, to me, the single most interesting aspect of the concept, and invites several questions:

22. Where is the short-column for sale? Nowhere can I find it.

23. Can any ballhead be used--or is this a Magic-Ball only accessory?

24. When using this 'center-column': can this leg-joint be positioned into any of it's three angles and support the weight of camera and lens without slippage? What weight can it maintain? In other words: Can it maintain an angle when being pulled downward (placing pressure on the backside of the joint) as opposed to being pushed downward (placing pressure on the topside of the joint)? Most tripod legs simply can't resist this type of force--aren't designed to--and this would mean the fourth-leg would operate as an inverted center-column, but not as a Gitzo-EX-type angular column.

Here are several more questions regarding your other equipment:

25. Does the Castel XQ have a 1/4" socket on the side for accessories as it appears in the picture, or is this an insert for a control knob, etc.?

26. Also, do you have a converter to alter the orientation of the QR clamp from perpendicular to in-line with the Castel?

27. What is the movement-per-rotation of the drive-knob for the Castel L and/or Castel XL?

28. What exactly is all this beautiful blue on your products? Is it always metal, or some plastic? Is it painted?

29. Is the MagicStudio Art Light a parallel-ray light like the FlashArt light?

30. Why do you no longer make the FlashART 400 Studio Light?

31. What weights are your various panoramic plates able to hold without slippage, if mounted in a vertical position?

32. In particular, is the Pro plate better for heavy-gear, or simply advantageous for its varied degree settings? It does look like the clamp is a good deal longer...but perhaps the internals do not aid, may even weaken, the braking system...?

33. I have heard the ClassicBall 5 is fantastic except for one thing: the panoramic plate slips when the support is not completely level. Has this been fixed? Why is the panning knob on the Classic 3 ribbed but left smooth on the Classic 5?

34. The claim of 'no shifting' when locking-down has been made by many ballhead manufacturers. Though slight, all have so far been shown to shift. What is the performance of the Classic Ball 5 (or 3) in measured terms?

35. The BalPro T/S is advertised with several contradictory statements:

36. Your site says the BalPro T/S will accommodate any 35mm lens, but then says 35mm requires the 80mm lens head. Does this mean any 35mm lens will work as a bellows but to use the T/S functions (requiring a larger circle) the 80mm head must be used?

37. Also, the 80mm head is said to be permanently mounted: does this mean two bellows would need to be purchased in order to use other lenses (that is, the "any 35mm lens" mentioned?).

Also various shops further complicate the lenshead choice, example: BHPhoto:

38. From the BalPro T/S "Features" we have"

Choice of lens heads
    Novoflex offers three special lens heads (Componon S) by Schneider in Bad Kreuznach for the BALPRO 1 and BALPRO T/S bellows. These lens heads are flush-mounted permanently on the bellows:

* Componon S 80mm f/4.0 for 35mm format
    * Componon S 100mm f/4.0 for 645 format
    * Componon S 150mm f/4.0 for 6x6 format

But then we have this under the 80mm lenshead:

This 80mm f/4 APO-Digitar Lens offered by Novoflex is made by Schneider in Bad Kreuznach for the BALPRO 1 and BALPRO T/S bellows system. It comes supplied with the required adapter for the bellows system. With an image-circle diameter as large as 90mm, this lens is even compatible with medium format cameras.

As well as this under the 100mm lenshead:

This 100mm f/5.6 APO-Digitar Lens offered by Novoflex is made by Schneider in Bad Kreuznach for the BALPRO 1 and BALPRO T/S bellows system. It comes supplied with the required adapter for the bellows system. With an image-circle diameter as large as 100mm, this lens is compatible with medium format cameras, as well as with 35mm SLR cameras.

...So what does this all mean?

39. Can a Neiger 19 be converted to a Ball 19, or is the flash-mount permanent? Is a washer needed shouls it be possible?

40. Does a Ball 30 or Ball 40 have as much resistance to panning-slippage as a Ball 19P, or for that matter, a Classic Ball 3 or 5?

41. Can the 19 pan at all? If so: How great is the difference, if any, between the 19 and the 19P, regarding its ability to lock onto a panned angle without slippage?

42. Is a Ball 30 (or even 40) practical as a substitute for a Ball 19 in any or all of the various quadropod combinations you show on your site, and on publicity-shots elsewhere? Examples would include leg-joints, accessory-holders, etc.

43. Can the flash-holder mount of the Neiger be equipped onto other ballheads (example Ball 30 or 40)?

In closing let me say that I plan to do a thorough review (for your English-speaking customers) to post on YouTube and my eventual photo-blog. Unfortunately there is little-to-no information available in English, currently, about the products you produce. I have grown greatly enamored, appreciative and impressed with what you build, and so I want to change things and spread the word about your great product!

Yours, Brandon

BTW, Van Camper is wrong about the collar-locking area. The Quadropod has a much wider and larger base than the Gitzo he shows, so the perceived distances are deceiving. Additionally, the base itself has a considerable thickness, whereas the Gitzo is a fraction of an inch and needs the continued collar. Lastly, the underbelly of the Quadropod does indeed have an extended collar--I was unable to find a photo of the center-column version that shows it well--though some show portions of it--but this is the basic base which has an almost identical underbelly so-it-seems:

http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/4...f_qp_35_jl.htm

Note that the base/collar combination of the Q-pod looks to be cut from a solid-block of aluminum... definitely a step-up from the Gitzo in so far as supporting the tensioning structure--but what the Q-pod uses to tension the column I've found no source on. Maybe Bob S. could help here? Question #44, then?

Brandon,

I will try to answer most of these tonight when I get home or tomorrow. But when you have this many questions a phone call from you would be more effective since the answers will raise more questions.

Our phone number is 800 735-4373 (it is a free call in the USA) we are open 9 to 5 EST and I will be on a trip from Fri. to Tues.

If you are in Canada you have to pay for the call. 973 808-9010 and just ask for Bob.

You can also download the Quadropod brochure with many of the answers from our ftp site:

Our ftp site is:

Account: ftp@hpmarketingcorp.com
    Address: ftps://ftp.hpmarketingcorp.com
    Password: hpmarketing

I myself will be on a trip shortly. Calling before you leave may prove difficult, so hopefully whatever you type (which will benefit many others as well) will be sufficient. Either way, we'll get in touch when we return from our respective voyages.

Thank you in every way for the quick reply, and any and all efforts you submit!

-Brandon. Err, praftman... whatever my avatar is.

Brandon,

There is a limit of 10,000 characters per posting so the answers need to be done in different posts.

1. The QB_V has both silver metal buttons adjescant the two angle-shifting legs, and a blue rotary dial encapsulated within the base. The description states that by pressing a button the angle may be changed--so I assume these metal knobs accomplish that--then what is the dial for? I assume releasing it again?

The leg angles, 3 legs at 120° or 4 legs at 90° are varied by pushing the button. There is no rotary dial on the QPV that is where the center column hole would be on the QPC.

2. The QB_V seems to have the two shifting legs (under the 'bicycle saddle's seat') and optional fourth leg spaced apart from the single remaining leg (positioned under the 'bicycle saddle's horn')... basically they are off-centered from each-other. How does this affect the performance and balance? Also: In tripod-mode: They look to be possibly centered--are they? I can see them being 120 degrees apart, but maybe they're 110+125+125?

See above answer. The QPV can be used as either a tripod or a Quadropod. When used as a tripod the fourth leg mopunt can be used to mount the short post MS REPRO VL to hold the camera. You would also need a head, of course.

3. The pictures seem to show a ball-and-joint socket-style support structure shouldering each leg in the QB_C and QB_B, but the QB_V looks as though its legs are joined without this enforcement. Please explain any differences.

The top plate of the Quadropods have a 15mm wide by 17mm long solid aluminum projection machined out of the same block as the rest of the top plate. Bolted to these are the leg attachment holders which are also each machined from solid aluminum. The legs screw into each of these. The screws on the leg have a long aluminum stud with a shoulder that goes into the hole on the bottom of the leg mounts. The weight on each leg then bears on that shoulder.

4. What material are the silver leg-joints fashioned out of? I assume Stainless-steel?

Yes
    5. What are the individual weights of the quadropod components, particularly the legs?

6. What are the individual dimensional measurements?

See the brochures either that you download from the Novoflex web site or that are on our ftp site in yesterdays post.

7. What are the folded dimensions of the quadropod when assembled?

With 3 or 4 section legs or Walking Stick legs or Table Top legs? With center column version or without> Again, this is in the brochure.

8. What is the folded length of the individual legs when separated from the base?

Depends on which of the above legs but the brochure gives the specs.

9. Are the legs anti-twist? Anything like G-lock?

Yes. No. Just anti-twist on each section.

10. How are the leg joints ratcheted, or held in-place? They look possibly to be the weak point in the structure.

They have a lever lock that locks the legs in to notches machind across the 15mm width of the leg attachment points. The notch is 1/10" deep.

11. How is vibration affected by the modular structure built of varied-material joints?

It isn't all tripods are made from multiple types of material. But very, very few - if any others - are made from machined parts rater then castings or forgings (Giottos VGR series).

12. What are the vibration characteristics in general?

Much less then any tripod within twice to three times the weight of a Quadropod.

13. Is the foam-padding removable?

What foam padding? There is no foam.

14. What is the construction of the CFibre?

It is carbon fiber tubes with metal and rubber locks and a metal fitting to attach to the top plate.

15. I've never seen a tripod wherein the base sits completely atop (and even hangs over) the legs as opposed to centered between them with only mild overlap... how does this affect the apex, balance, rigidity, etc.?

The Quadropd has 50% greater contact area then a tripod and is far more stable with no tipping point like a tripod has. There is no effect on performance due to the top plate design.

16. How does the 'bicycle saddle' shape of the QB_V affect the same?

Why would it?

17. Is there anyway at all to mount a weight hook under any of your bases?

Yes. The QPC has a hook for a weight. On the others you can easily use the straps on a Giottos sand bag to hang a weight.

18. What force can the suction-cups withstand... individually?

10 lbs vertically or horizontally on a smooth, flat surface like glass or metal.

tripod-style? quadropod-style?

About 20 pounds

This is perhaps my single greatest cause for concern as all professional s-cups that I've seen use a lever-plunger rather than a lip-seal, and these s-cups are either numerous (clusters of cups per leg) or generously proportioned (5-6 inches wide each). This very feature may be a deal-breaker for me if the tripod cannot really be used confidently on a moving vehicle.

That isn't how you would use it. In the brochure you will see the Quadropod with short legs and no legs sunction cupped to the window with the bottom two legs and clamped to the top of the window with the other two legs. There is also an illustration of it suction cupped to the window with two legs and clamped to the rails on the roof with two legs. The clamps are the Uniklem 26 or 42 from Novoflex. Nothing would dislodge either of these short of physically breaking the window.

19. Are any photos, or is any video footage, available of the quadropod beyond the handful of shots on your website?

The brochures, and lots of images on our ftp site.

20. Can we expect to see any more accessories (Gitzo-Explorer-type column especially)?

Probably but Novoflex does not announce product that is yet to be introduced.

21. Most importantly of all: Your photos show the QB_V with fourth leg detached and the joint fitted with a short column with ballhead, used then as an inverted 'center-column'. This is, to me, the single most interesting aspect of the concept, and invites several questions:

22. Where is the short-column for sale? Nowhere can I find it.

That was answered above. You can buy it from any of our dealers.

23. Can any ballhead be used--or is this a Magic-Ball only accessory?

Absolutely

24. When using this 'center-column': can this leg-joint be positioned into any of it's three angles and support the weight of camera and lens without slippage? What weight can it maintain? In other words: Can it maintain an angle when being pulled downward (placing pressure on the backside of the joint) as opposed to being pushed downward (placing pressure on the topside of the joint)? Most tripod legs simply can't resist this type of force--aren't designed to--and this would mean the fourth-leg would operate as an inverted center-column, but not as a Gitzo-EX-type angular column.

Of course it can. This isn't a tripod.

Here are several more questions regarding your other equipment:

25. Does the Castel XQ have a 1/4" socket on the side for accessories as it appears in the picture, or is this an insert for a control knob, etc.?

It is a hole that doesn't support ar attach anything. Just a hole.

26. Also, do you have a converter to alter the orientation of the QR clamp from perpendicular to in-line with the Castel?

We have L brackets.

27. What is the movement-per-rotation of the drive-knob for the Castel L and/or Castel XL?

Why?

28. What exactly is all this beautiful blue on your products? Is it always metal, or some plastic? Is it painted?

Anodized metal.

29. Is the MagicStudio Art Light a parallel-ray light like the FlashArt light?

No and it also is not available in the USA as it will not operate on 120V. The MagicStudio Art Light is manufactured for Novoflex by Kaiser-fototechnik and you would have to use their version in the USA which is 110V and is HF.

30. Why do you no longer make the FlashART 400 Studio Light?

No one bought it

31. What weights are your various panoramic plates able to hold without slippage, if mounted in a vertical position?

No known weight limit when you properly tighten them with an allen key.

32. In particular, is the Pro plate better for heavy-gear, or simply advantageous for its varied degree settings? It does look like the clamp is a good deal longer...but perhaps the internals do not aid, may even weaken, the braking system...?

It is for VR work primarily.

33. I have heard the ClassicBall 5 is fantastic except for one thing: the panoramic plate slips when the support is not completely level. Has this been fixed? Why is the panning knob on the Classic 3 ribbed but left smooth on the Classic 5?

No it does not slip and none have been reported to us as slipping. And the knob is knulled on both not smooth or ribbed.

34. The claim of 'no shifting' when locking-down has been made by many ballhead manufacturers. Though slight, all have so far been shown to shift. What is the performance of the Classic Ball 5 (or 3) in measured terms?

All Novovlex ball heads from the largest to the smallest exhibit less then 1/2mm of shift due to Novoflex's construction technique of locking the entire housing down around the ball over 360°.

35. The BalPro T/S is advertised with several contradictory statements:

36. Your site says the BalPro T/S will accommodate any 35mm lens, but then says 35mm requires the 80mm lens head. Does this mean any 35mm lens will work as a bellows but to use the T/S functions (requiring a larger circle) the 80mm head must be used?

You can mount virtually any lens from a 35mm film or DSLR camera or from most medium format cameras to the Balpro system. Just depends on the adapter. The back page of each Balpro bellows sheet (from the Novoflex web site or our ftp site) lists all possible adapters. No contradictory statement at all. All will mount. However, they will only work at macro ranges. If you want to work at infinity you will need a Novoflex lens.

37. Also, the 80mm head is said to be permanently mounted: does this mean two bellows would need to be purchased in order to use other lenses (that is, the "any 35mm lens" mentioned?).

All of the Novoflex lenses are permanently mouted to their lens adapter board. The adapters are interchangeable with all of the other adapters for the Balens.

Also various shops further complicate the lenshead choice, example: BHPhoto:

38. From the BalPro T/S "Features" we have"

Choice of lens heads
    Novoflex offers three special lens heads (Componon S) by Schneider in Bad Kreuznach for the BALPRO 1 and BALPRO T/S bellows. These lens heads are flush-mounted permanently on the bellows:

* Componon S 80mm f/4.0 for 35mm format
    * Componon S 100mm f/4.0 for 645 format
    * Componon S 150mm f/4.0 for 6x6 format

But then we have this under the 80mm lenshead:

This 80mm f/4 APO-Digitar Lens offered by Novoflex is made by Schneider in Bad Kreuznach for the BALPRO 1 and BALPRO T/S bellows system. It comes supplied with the required adapter for the bellows system. With an image-circle diameter as large as 90mm, this lens is even compatible with medium format cameras.

As well as this under the 100mm lenshead:

This 100mm f/5.6 APO-Digitar Lens offered by Novoflex is made by Schneider in Bad Kreuznach for the BALPRO 1 and BALPRO T/S bellows system. It comes supplied with the required adapter for the bellows system. With an image-circle diameter as large as 100mm, this lens is compatible with medium format cameras, as well as with 35mm SLR cameras.

...So what does this all mean?

Never trust a dealers web site as product changes.

39. Can a Neiger 19 be converted to a Ball 19, or is the flash-mount permanent? Is a washer needed shouls it be possible?

No but the flash shoe just unscrews and leaves you with a 1/4-20 male thread. The shoe is also a Kaiser product.

40. Does a Ball 30 or Ball 40 have as much resistance to panning-slippage as a Ball 19P, or for that matter, a Classic Ball 3 or 5?

The Classic Balls have tension control as do the Magic Ball and the MB 50. The others do not, so the locking knob can be used to apply tension if desired.

41. Can the 19 pan at all? If so: How great is the difference, if any, between the 19 and the 19P, regarding its ability to lock onto a panned angle without slippage?

Ye, loosen the lock and the head rotates and the ball moves. On the P the pan is also via a seperate lock.

42. Is a Ball 30 (or even 40) practical as a substitute for a Ball 19 in any or all of the various quadropod combinations you show on your site, and on publicity-shots elsewhere? Examples would include leg-joints, accessory-holders, etc.

If you need more support - yes.

43. Can the flash-holder mount of the Neiger be equipped onto other ballheads (example Ball 30 or 40)?

Yes. It is just one of the Kaiser flash shoes. There are several from Kaiser, metal or plastic, and all have a 1/4-20 female threaded hole.

"Note that the base/collar combination of the Q-pod looks to be cut from a solid-block of aluminum... definitely a step-up from the Gitzo in so far as supporting the tensioning structure--but what the Q-pod uses to tension the column "

Correct. It is one solid piece machined from aluminum. The column is locked by a knob that tightens a ring of material inside the hole that the column moves in. The material is the full depth of the hole.

Also, when one buys a Quadropod, they get the top plate of their choice and either four 3 section or four 4 section legs in their choice of aluminum or carbon fiber. When one buys the set they also get the four table-top legs and the adapter to convert one of the three or four section legs into a monopod.

The $1000.00 price is not quite right. Most units sold were the basic top plate with out a column and the 3 section aluminum legs. This setup would retail at most dealers for $798.00 and includes the table-top legs as well as the monopod adapter. If it is the center column top plate the price would increase by $81.00. 4 section aluminum legs would add $48.00.

If you buy the carbon legs (which weigh about one pound less then the same set of 4 aluminum legs) then the price will go above $1000.00 (well above).

And one last point, when the QPC top plate (center column version) is bought it comes with both the long and the short center columns.

Dear Bob,
    Firstly, thank you for the time you’ve invested. Already the HPMarketting link you sent greatly helped in answering many of my questions. (for anyone reading this—the link is actually ftp://ftp.hpmarketingcorp.com …that is, no ‘s’ after the first “ftp”. )

That said, here are the follow-up concerns: (Note* F= Follow-up)

1F. Here is a link to photos of the QP_V, wherein a blue rotary dial can clearly be seen. If this is indeed a button with the appearance of a dial, then what are the silver metal ‘buttons’ under the base? Pin-locks perhaps? Otherwise I assume the silver buttons to be the ‘button’ you speak of, and the blue dials to be… ?

http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/4.../QPV/index.htm

Note: perhaps the photo-site I link to is handling a early version of the QP_V, but these pictures are consistent with all other published pictures and not unique, so apparently then no pictures are available of the final iteration, or else these photos are to be trusted.

2F. The question concerns not the quadropod/tripod status, but the off-centered-ness of the fourth leg under the ‘saddle horn’. Using the photo-link above, there are several shots where this is self-evident. Also NF’s own literature shows overhead diagrams where the layout is obviously off-centered and the angles seem questionable—though possibly right—it’s close (like I said: maybe 110x125x125).

3F. I’ve been typing “QB_V” when I mean “QP_V” …sorry if that caused any confusion, but: Clearly the shoulder is there on the QP_B and QP_C, a solid piece with the base, and adds support…all things that I stated. What is asked is why this is not the case for the QP_V, and with what affect?

5F-8F. To anyone reading this: the brochures do not contain this info (they only reveal min and max height of assembled tripod, and total weight of assembled tripod) and the retailers post contradictory info. However the datasheet—which for some reason I cannot successfully download but was able to view in-browser, does show what I apparently missed. These, for all here, are those details:

ftp://ftp.hpmarketingcorp.com/NOVOFL.../QuadroPod.pdf

…just look at page #6.

13F. As the stainless-steel leg-caps end, there begins a black, larger diameter area that has the appearance of foam leg-wraps. Is this another material? It is not the color of texture or thickness of the carbon fibre further down. It is present in every photo I have seen to date of every type of full-length leg sold for the quadropod (ie., 3 or 4 section, aluminum or CF). Again, the linked site shows good photos of this.

14F. My apologies for vagueness. Here I am asking for the construction of the carbon fibre barrel itself. Ie., cross-layering, etc. …?

15F. What is this 50% greater contact area you speak of? If the fourth leg, surely that is 33% greater?

16F. Because the heaviest point of the tripod is this machined base, and its weight is clearly off-center. That said, I’m no engineer and perhaps this is minimally important.

18F. If I understand you correctly, the individual units will hold 10lbs, but when accounted together, with the weight and resistance of each counter-unit, they act as a platform able to hold 20lbs? If not, then perhaps they reach up to 40lbs? Either way, even 40lbs does not seem strong enough to remain on a relatively fast-moving vehicle when inertia is taken into account, or a slow-moving vehicle when wind-resistance—which vertical mounting takes the full brunt of (no help from gravity)—is considered. Do I grasp this correctly? …Also, there is only one clamp used to grip the minivan-railing in the pictures I’ve seen—but your point is taken—two clamps might be used leaving the suction cups to merely stabilize the load. That said, this would preclude low shots (like classic behind-the tire-well shots) unless my grasp is in error regarding the suction strength as mentioned.

21F. Since I cannot find this “MS REPRO VL” listed anywhere but your ftp site, and for that matter other items are missing (example: QP RED M10) I’m concerned with the general availability of product. IS there much wait for these and other items, and when ordered are they reliably shipped?

24F. I just want to be clear here what I am asking: If my Q-pod is set-up, and I grab a leg and try to collapse it inward, to another angle setting, it will (A) not let me unless I unlock it and (B) do this with the same strength that it resists being pulled outward. I say this because the product description suggests placing three legs down, then swinging the fourth leg into position. Also, enigmatically, here is a YouTube video where the legs seem to swing freely both inward and outward as he adjusts first one, then another quadropod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Hezy8dBzQ

25F. It appears the Castel XQ does have a socket for accessories (3/8” instead of ¼”) after all: It’s on the lower-platform, as photographed (page 1—the photo I had seen leaving me to believe this was the case) and described (page 2—the missing info your ftp site thankfully provided) here:

ftp://ftp.hpmarketingcorp.com/NOVOFL...l_Q-XQ_ENG.pdf

*It also appears (on the photo on page two) that the clamp utilizes a bronze/brass/copper ledge?!

26F. Are these L-brackets counter-orientation? A normal L-bracket would not solve the problem. Novoflex does sale dual-dovetail camera plates that would fix this, but I’d like to keep my current RRS camera plates.
    *Speaking of which—I’ve repeatedly been informed that NF plates will not work on RRS clamps, but have uncertainty about the obverse: it seems RRS plates WILL work on NF clamps, then? If so: How is the fit?

27F. The movement-per-rotation of the drive-knob is the measurement of the fine-tuning which the focus-rail is capable of. The whole point of such a rail is for macro—and some rails move finer than others. For example the previous generation rack-and-pinion RRS focus-rail has been described as ‘unusable’ whereas the current worm-gear RRS focus-rail is top-knotch and moves only 1.25mm per full rotation of the screw. I cannot say this enough—there is absolutely no point to purchasing a fine-drive focus-rail such as this unless one is concerned with these small motions. Otherwise any nodal-slide, panorama-rail or multi-use camera bar would work fine. I want to do DOF-stacking involving insects, and need to know how close to micrometer staging this is capable of working. Are there people just buying these things to take photos of roses? Sure. But I’d wonder if they aren’t just purchasing entirely the wrong product—and spending money for fine-motion capabilities they never use. Don’t know/ Haven’t photographed any flowers. But I know my uses do require knowing the degree of tuning.

31F. That’s confusing. RRS, for example, sites that its PCL-1 panning clamp is rated to hold 15lbs in the vertical position. How can there be no limit?

35F. This is the only non-forum review I’ve found in English, regarding the Classic Ball 5:

http://www.auspiciousdragon.net/photowords/?page_id=837

Though he praises the ballhead, at the end he confesses he has stopped using it, one reason he sites is pan-creep.

Regarding the knob surface—all photos appear to show a ribbed (you call it “knulled” I’m assuming) knob on the CB3 but a smooth surface on the CB5. If this has been corrected, or if the texture is to fine for the photos to reveal (what would be the use then?) then at the very least Novoflex needs to revamp their product-photos, as this has been a concern for every person with which I’ve discussed the CB5.

34F. So if I’m understanding you correctly, the shift is more or less standardized across their range, not proportional. IOW: I can expect approx a 1/2mm shift for a B19 and a CB5 both, and as such the larger ball is in actuality dramatically less shifted per its size?

36F: Okay, I can see where I could have figured that out, and yet: should I have had to? I’ve spent literally twenty hours hunting for Novoflex info and clarifications. If it’s not outright contradictory, it’s certainly not clear. I appreciate your clarification, and so please suggest to Novoflex that they publish such basic clarifications; Mentioning that these lenses are capable of infinity focus is not the same as explicitly citing this as their raison d’etre, the same as stating that no other lenses can, and not the same as explaining that other lenses are limited exclusively to macro. I’m new at this—do they not want new enthusiasts? I’ll say more: even the various parts necessary are confusing. EOS-PRO versus PRO-EOS… Seriously? As a rep, you shouldn’t have to work so hard to make clear what NF muddled; It’s just bad marketing. I’m done ranting now. Still… NF is doing better at least than Arca-Swiss…

37F. So the Novoflex site which says “Permanently mounted to the bellows” should read “permanently mounted to the lensboard/bellows-adaptor”. Enormous error for anyone shopping their site: It’s good to know these lenses have a permanent attachment (can’t be used on other systems) and bad to claim they cannot come off the bellows—which is simply untrue and absolutely pivotal to the versatility of the bellows.

38F: Good advice regarding retailers, but Novoflex’s own site says:

“These three lens heads allow adjustment to infinity with all
    cameras: 35 mm SLR cameras require the 80 mm lens head,
    the Mamiya 645 the 100 mm lens head, and Hasselblads the
    150 mm lens head. The setting for 35 mm cameras ranges from
    infinity to 1.8x enlargement.”

…which keeps it unclear: Does this mean any of these three lenses can be mounted on a 35mm camera, but infinity-focus will work only with the 80mm lens? Or does this mean the 100mm and 150mm lenses will not work on a 35mm camera? If ‘yes’ to the former—are these lenses still viable for more than macro-work?

41F: Apologies for my vagueness. Here I’m asking about a built-in panning base feature. It seems you’re saying the base does not pan (but the ballhead does, of course) on the 19. Does the 19P then have a base that pans separately from the ballhead, or is the ballhead panning motion itself somehow locked (like a FLM ballhead might)?

42F. So the next question would be what weight can the flexible arm attachments (as opposed to the rigid rod-arms) support?

.......NEW:

44: Speaking of the tension-system for the center-column you say "ring of material" What, like a teflon webbing?

45: I can't find a mentioning of a long vs. short center column in your online documents... ?