Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Rodenstock Lenses at Photokina

Re: New Rodenstock Lenses at Photokina

i'd like to see a real life comparison betwen the new 40 and the sironar digital 35...
    i can clearly see the fact that the retro 40 can help a lot... but optically speaking only, does the retrofocus formula an improvement ?

Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    i'd like to see a real life comparison betwen the new 40 and the sironar digital 35...
    i can clearly see the fact that the retro 40 can help a lot... but optically speaking only, does the retrofocus formula an improvement ?
    Little too soon to answer that from practical work. I can mail you the MTF and other performance curves on both and we will have prototypes of both the 23 and the 40 at the PhotoPlus Show in NYC later this month if you will be there and want to see them.

can you mail me a flight ticket as well, i'm living in france...

thanks anyway !

I'd have to say yes, it is LF-related. Technology has never stood still, even in the "olden" days. Film emulsions changed and improved, the enlarger changed demand for camera sizes (ever wonder why they stopped making most banquet and ULF cameras?), roll film opened new markets, and so on.

We'll probably have affordable 12x20 sensors for our Koronas or Folmer and Schwings (but maybe not in our photo-lifetime), and the kind of new technology Bob is telling us about is another step down the road.

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks to Bob Salomon for presenting here the new Rodenstock wide angle "digital" lenses.

And a comment about Bruce Watson's concern:
    I hate to ask, but this forum is getting hit with ever more non-LF posts. So... are these lenses applicable in some way to LF?

What looks (IMHO) applicable to LF is that Rodenstock seems to have put most of its R&D effort to superb WA lenses for digital photography with all kinds of cameras including view cameras, at least the 6x9 versions. But to the best of my knowledge, Rodenstock did not introduce new "film" LF lenses since the Apo Sironar S in 100 mm focal length. And this was for 6x9, a "small" format which is just at the margin of what is acceptable to discuss here
    Whereas Schneider has introduced new LF lenses in the last years including (OK, for a niche-of-a-niche market, ULF) and a recent long focal length for 4x5" at the 2008 photokina, probably a cousin of the Apo Ronar....
    Eh ! Bob S. ! Eh Rodenstock guys ! When you'll finished with a soon-to-be delivered 16mm "digital" lens covering 6x9 , do not let us with Schneider & Fuji only as a source for new apo-ronar-like lenses

"But to the best of my knowledge, Rodenstock did not introduce new "film" LF lenses since the Apo Sironar S in 100 mm focal length. And this was for 6x9, a "small" format which is just at the margin of what is acceptable to discuss here "

This isn't quite true. All of the Apo Sironar Digital lenses will work with any imaging device - including film - that they cover and some of these lenses will fully cover 4x5. These lenses will work with film with no added accessories needed (except where a CF might be desired with the wide ones).

The Apo Sironar Digital HR lenses are also used with roll films that they cover but these lenses do require the addition of a special accessory corrector plate to the rear element as film cameras do not have the cover glass that digital sensors have.

So yes, Rodenstock has continued to bring out lenses that will perform properly on film. They just have not been concentrating on lenses for 4x5 and larger formats.

prices ?

Prices will be available from dealers as soon as the lenses are shipped. Should be next month.

thanks !

i hope the 40 will be usable with the arca rotaslide sliding back, otherwise i will go for the 35 apo sironar digital.

i've found the prices...
    http://www.linhofstudio.com/products/lenses/dlens.html
    23 at £3250 net
    40 et £1860 net
    while the 35 cost £845...