Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8x10" SLR Graflex

8x10" SLR Graflex

Just out of curiosity: Has anyone ever seen an 8x10" SLR Graflex? In my recently aquired catalogue of Graflex cameras, one of their first SLR's is listed as 8x10".

Re: 8x10" SLR Graflex

Nope, but I sure do want one.

I got two 5x7 SLR Graflex that I'm reconditioning.

Let us know if there are any pictures of the beast. Probably rarer than Big Foot.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Is your catalog the 1904 edition? Many years ago I sponsored the reprinting of this catalog. One of the main reasons I did so was that it was full of cameras I never had seen.

I doubt that there were many 8" X 10's made, and I fear that most of those were probably discarded after shutter failure, Keep looking, though.

Incidentally, Folmer & Schwing was one of the makers (Newman & Guardia was another) who advertised that they would accept special orders for whatever you needed. There may be some really "rare" items out there.

Graflex would indeed build about anything you wanted. I have run across a reference to a whole plate Speed Graphic, too, though I've never seen one. No one else has either, to my knowledge. An 8X10 Graflex SLR would be an awesome thing to behold.

I haven't got the real catalogue, but the book by Richard. P. Paine, wherein he lists all the Graflex cameras he has found evidence of. On page 10 there is a picture (well, it's a gravure ...) of the Graflex Camera from 1901, which was available in 4x5, 5x7, 6 1/2x8 1/2 and 8x10. It yields shutter speeds from 1/10 to 1/1200 second. The 8x10 must be somwhere, and I'm determined to find it. Yes, I will find it. I will set out one morning after breakfast, on my unicycle, and I will not rest nor have tea until I have found it. Pity there's very little chance of finding one in Norway.

If anyone has seen one, I'd suspect it's been at Lens and Repro in New York.

Can you imagine the price it would fetch? Maybe that Nabor camera museum guy had one? I should ask the Eastman House guy...

If anyone wants to send me their mailing address, I'll send them a copy of the catalog page. My email address is ernestpurdum@aol.com.

Last year there was an 8x10 shutter for sale on feebay, allegedly from a graflex.

I remember seeing that very curtain on the 'bay and my belief is that it is from an 8x10" focal plane shutter for use on an 8x10" view camera, like a Kodak 2D. I know for sure that these units exist because I almost bought one one eBay a couple years back. Now I wish I had one for me Century 10A studio camera.

God, I would love an 8x10" SLR.