Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Is View Camers Magazine still available?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Is View Camers Magazine still available?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L. Quay View Post
    Has anyone gotten the new password yet? I'm not asking for it here, but I emailed them twice using the email address on the site, and have not gotten a response. My server eats a few emails now and then, but usually not from the same address twice.

--Gary
    I got it from Andrea only a couple of hours after sending a request. The PW she sent didn't work... but that wasn't a problem because it ends up I don't have time to check it out anyway. I can wait for the next issue when things get back in sych.

falth j

Re: Subscriber's Only Section VC Magazine?

My thoughts only:

Since I pay the full toll, and purchase my VC copies at the newsstand, I can't for the life of me understand why you need a password to view the so-called 'special' material in the subscriber’s only section.

To keep what precious little is there, and informative, locked up seems to bordering on the ridiculous.

It is incredible that only 'subsciber's' can view the miserly amount of 'information' kept under 'secret' lock and key, while those of us who buy the mag at the newstand, are denied access to the 'wonder's' kept available only to real purchaser's of the mag, the subscriber's.

Falth, Many magazines do this to encourage subscriptions. Subscriptions are much more profitable than newsstand sales. As a matter of fact, for most small magazines, newsstand sales don't make any money at all.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

The new VC is at my local Borders, but not at the local Barnes and Noble (?) It must be some glitch in the distribution this month.

BTW, VC has received a lot of criticism from various quarters which I find disconcerting. It is a fine, useful and inspirational journal, as well as doing an outstanding job representing the view camera community.

It isn't cheap, but what photography magazine is?

I am not saying that criticism is unwarranted or unhealthy, but Steve Simmons has often solicited input from people who hang out on this forum on what we'd like to read more of in VC, and each time the response here has been to criticize either the distribution, vetting or print quality. It strikes me that these issues need to be directed toward the editorial offices and not 'hung out to dry' in threads unrelated to the subject of what inspires and informs.
    Rant over!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

falth j

These are only my thoughts.

I am aware of the mechanics, economics, time, and effort that go into VC magazine, and appreciate having this magazine as a reference.

Perhaps, I should 'subscribe', as it would definitely be economically more feasible than making driving miles to have the convenience of viewing and reading the contributions by the many people who make the magazine possible.

I'm am not criticizing anything, other than the obtuse method of presenting material in a manner that is convoluted, and seemingly overly protected for the amount of information behind the lock.

Surely, with the amount of words expressed over the 'password', and other views about the magazine, an opinion, right or wrong, from a customer, is not out of order, and could be construed as constructive, if only to give Steve insight into his customers thoughts.

If participants to this forum are chastised for expressing a thought, right or wrong, then nothing is gained, nothing is improved.

I would hope a free exchange of opinion, not brutal attacks, should be welcome and encouraged...

Octogenarian

Hi Faith,

Since it concerns you so much, why don't you express your thoughts directly to Steve Simmons. He will be more than willing to listen to your suggestions, perhaps even act on them.

However, many members of this forum are tired of criticism of VC magazine. i know I am.

A full years subscription is only $25, delivered to your door in a protective wrapping. There really is no need to drive to the magazine stand, wasting valuable gasoline, to obtain a copy. If you find that you don't like the issue, toss it out. You'll still be ahead of the game.

I was at the PhotoExpo last Thursday and looked for the VC booth where I ritually renew my subscription; It was not there (or I didn't find it; neither was K.B.Canham). I don't like every single issue of any of the magazines I subscribe to but I do keep all the issues of VC - I think it's a good sign. As far as the on-line subscriber feature, I am somewhat put off by the need for a password. No real complaints on the whole...

This is the first issue I haven't bought in a long, long time...the Tim G-Sanders portraits didn't do anything for me, especially after just seeing a feature on him a few months ago.

Also, as I thumbed through the issue at Borders Hollywood, which just arrived there, I saw a few glaring typos, as is usual.

On another note, I've always thought the print quality to be very good, and I've always liked the diversity of portfolios.

This is the first issue I have bought, glad I did, I'll put my name on the list of new subscribers.