Thread: Epson 3800 'Noises' / 'Problems'

Epson 3800 'Noises' / 'Problems'

Hi All,

Finally purchased an Epson 3800, have been looking forward to wider printing having owned several smaller format Epson printers over the years.

Along with the regular noise of the print head moving back and forth whilst printing which is similar to any other printer I have used I also hear a kind of light clicking noise, not very loud but not something I would expect to hear. Just wondering if anyone else hears this and is it anything I need to be concerned about? No other problems printing on Epson Traditional Photo paper (UK equivalent of EEF I believe) apart from some sporadic head strikes which I can resolve by widening the platen gap.

One other thing I did notice though was poor matte printing on Archival Matte paper when using the default media settings and printing a standard ramp test chart from digital outback photo, most of dark areas of the print seem to have very visible mark which look like circles or dimples when held in a certain light. I think I have seen something similar with a previous printer when too much ink was laid down but I had not expected this using Epson profiles with default settings on Epson paper!

Thanks

Julian

Re: Epson 3800 'Noises' / 'Problems'

Yes mine makes a clicking noise occasionally. It doesn't seem to matter and I can't find a source for it.

I frankly found the enclosed b&w paper profiles a bit mediocre on the couple I have tried, clipping the shadows vs. how they soft proof. I found these to be superior.
    http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan...wprofiles.html
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Yes mine makes a clicking noise occasionally. It doesn't seem to matter and I can't find a source for it.

I frankly found the enclosed b&w paper profiles a bit mediocre on the couple I have tried, clipping the shadows vs. how they soft proof. I found these to be superior.
    http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan...wprofiles.html
    I've not tried Eric Chan's ABW profiles extensively but I've found I prefer the QTR profiles much more.

Don Bryant

Thanks Kirk and Doug, yes I think I will experiment with some other profiles and see how I get on.

Actually Kirk the clicking noise is constantly there while the head is moving back and forth not just occasionally but print quality seems ok so I guess I shouldn't be too concerned.

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Boulter View Post
    Actually Kirk the clicking noise is constantly there while the head is moving back and forth not just occasionally but print quality seems ok so I guess I shouldn't be too concerned.

Julian
    FWIW, I hear no clicking noise(s) when my 3800 is printing. Things sound very smooth.

Don Bryant