Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acrylic Hot Spots, Where To Get 8x20 Ground Glass and Mini Rant

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Acrylic Hot Spots, Where To Get 8x20 Ground Glass and Mini Rant

Good Day all...

I've acquired a beautiful new 8x20 camera but I just don't like the acrylic GG suplied. It has the hottest of hot spots with almost total darkness surrounding and moving my head from side to side distracts me, makes me light headed (it's a heavy thing to move around) and is a nuisance. So....does anyone know where I can buy a GOOD quality GLASS GG? I tried Ritter and he says he now uses acrylic since he doesn't have a reliable source for glass. I also asked him if he knew who supplied Dick Phillips, as those were excellent, and he says they no longer are around either. Man this is getting depressing! Yesterday I went to the two biggest remaining photo stores (now digi stores) in Toronto and couldn't find any Rodinal© and also discovered that their darkroom sections were now postage stamp sized. In one store I asked where their used LF lenses were (they used to have tons) and the guy just looked at me as if Timothy O'Sullivan had just walked in with his donkey, asking for glass plates. I asked him if any store in Toronto had used LF lenses and he just gave me a creepy, supercilious, mocking sneer. This was a truly amazing look and should be tried in private in front of a mirror. I was going to show him what "I" liked of digital and got the correct finger ready on my right hand but managed to restrain myself. I muttered something about hoping that micro black holes had not escaped from Switzerland and were sucking up parts of peoples' brains and left. Sorry about the rant. Now where was I? Oh yes, supplier of GOOD GG?

Today is the last day of your life prior to now...

Re: Acrylic Hot Spots, Where To Get 8x20 Ground Glass and Mini Rant

Before you start to make your camera even heavier - try the stupid way. Stick to a plain acrylic sheet (check the thickness) stripes of the widest frosted Scotch tape you find (the normal width is OK too). You'll be probably surprised how well it can work... I used this "solution" on my cameras when I needed to check it's functioning and didn't have the proper gg. I would even try it on your actual acrylic. Doesn't cost anything. Just a thought.

You could use two 8x10 pieces if you fabricate some more clips...

Hi Richard,

Following up on Frank's suggestion of two 8x10 sheets with additional clips... you can still buy good ground glass 8x10's from Dagor77 on Ebay.

I use one of Dagor77's 8x10 gg on my Dorff and it works fine.

Unfortunately, Satin Snow is not producing gg any longer...

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post

Unfortunately, Satin Snow is not producing gg any longer...

Cheers
    Is that forever or just a lull? I was hoping they would resume. Also, anyone know if Bosscreen is still around? Thanks all.

Eric Biggerstaff

Why not grind your own?

I make my groundglass and it as as good as any traditional glass I have purchased. You can use normal window glass that can be cut to any size by your local glass shop. Then, use Aluminum Oxide grinding powders (3 micron and 5 micron) to grind the glass. The materials will cost about $35 (including glass) and it will take about 45 minutes to an hour to grind it. The more you grind the better the surface. Once you have done a few, you never have to worry about breaking a glass again.

I make all of my 5X7 and 4X5 glass this way and the surface is smooth and hot spot free. I usually make a few of each size to have extras on hand in case of an accident.

Dick Dokas had an article in Photo Techniques a few years ago detailing the process and I believe this is on the free articles section of their website. It gives you complete directions and information on where to purchase the materials.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

In addition to checking with Andrew/CP Goerz/Dagor77, you might also search on eBay for seller "photofinder", who offers GG in smaller sizes. I think this may be Stephen Shuart, who used to have a regular ad in Shutterbug years ago and from whom I obtained a 7x11 GG back then. If it's indeed Mr. Shuart, perhaps he can still have a custom size cut for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    Is that forever or just a lull? I was hoping they would resume. Also, anyone know if Bosscreen is still around? Thanks all.
    Hi Richard,

As far as I know... Dave has retired the business.

Perhaps, others would be able to confirm this?

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

A bit of Googling reveals that the industrial arm of Edmund still offers ground glass in some smaller sizes:

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlineca...productID=1935

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlineca...productID=2926

I have no idea whether they'd be able or willing to do custom sizes in small quantity at a price that's not crazy, but in any case that might be another place to inquire.

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post
    As far as I know... Dave has retired the business.

Perhaps, others would be able to confirm this?
    Yes, Dave announced it here and it's been discussed extensively. See also his home page:

http://www.satinsnowglass.com/index.html