Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Change Announcement

Re: Forum Change Announcement

Thank you! Thank you! I like the idea of having "religious" discussions over black and white v. color far better. :-)

Ah, well, I won't really miss the Pyro discussions anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Com'on.... Cheney put you up to this didn't he?

Thank God we can at least still talk about incestous underage beastiality and necrophilia with dwarves in bondage.
    Not for long!
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Lounge??? I've had it blocked for so long I forgot it existed.

For those that are new to the forum and find the discussions in the Lounge tiresome at best, you can exclude the Lounge from your forum view in the "My Settings/Edit options" menu. Simple to setup.

I too, think it is a wise decision for the forum.

Something that will certainly help it in the long run.

The lounge should still be about photography.

I am not sure I agree with the decision taken.

I have been following the lounge lately and aside of some people who are incapable of being respectful of others by means of personal attacks, I have benefited by the information provided in guise of links.
    I do need to express my disgust regarding some unfortunate exchanges where any form on civility, respect for others and also self-respect had been completely forgotten, to be replaced by the most petty, childish and insulting behaviour.

I find it unfair for people who want to carry on a civil conversation and benefitting from the exchange of ideas to have this topics not allowed in the Lounge.
    The problem should be dealt to their root cause: not allowing the few disruptive elements in the Lounge, if that's possible.
    It is already been told that this site, being a private entity, is not a Democracy, however I believe that such an ideal is achieved in our society by incorporating it in any facet of our life, thus exercising our "democratic muscle", so to speak.
    Democracy as a process is a messy one but its end is the most noble form of human coexistence.

Having said this I feel that the moderators have the right to do whatever they want with this website, and if this is their decision so be it.
    This is still a great place for exchange of information.

I am in favour of permitting discussions on any topic. Some topics are more sensitive than others, but any topic can lead to impolite language etc.

If some people are abusing their privileges then they are the only ones who should be censored.

Although I respect the continuing efforts of the moderation team, this decision was not necessary. Bookburning by any other name is still bookburning. This action is sad and represents a rather unsophisticated response to a non-issue. Quite honestly, I think the decision, without any discussion with the general forum populace demonstrates a great amount of hubris on the moderation team's part.

The lounge was easily blocked by anyone. It's simple, just like any other medium, if the content offends you do not tune in. IMO, the decision shows heavy handed censorship as the default rather than exploring alternative methods to address the perceived issues. Personal attacks and failure to "play nice" are easily handled without such actions. They were addressed on other photo forums without overreaching censorship. Why not here?

Regards,
    Geary
    Last edited by Geary Lyons; 24-Sep-2008 at 23:55. Reason: missed an "s"

Agree with Geary and Domenico on this one...

Geary is right; it was a non-issue on this forum.

"Our experiment with an unmoderated, any-topic-goes Lounge has largely failed."

I disagree. The Lounge was lively, irreverent, and basically harmless ... and, without a doubt, your busiest topic area. This reaction sounds like the "tut-tut" your great aunt used to say when scolding you.