Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Change Announcement

Re: Forum Change Announcement

An excellent decision. Now I won't need to go there to correct incorrect "facts." Thanks.

I wonder what we all need to be totally reassured about, before we can simply be comfortable with the novel idea of "Free Speech".

It does seem alarming to me that many in the USA have so much apparent difficulty with a) expressing ideas thoughtfully and peaceably, and b) allowing forums to continue to exist where people can express ideas that some don't agree with.

Free speech does not mean allowing someone to say what you agree with, it means allowing someone to say something even when you don't agree with it. It's called democracy and freedom - subjects that the US regularly encourages the rest of the world to get involved in.

The absence or rarity of venues (throughout society) in which people can have serious and insightful discussion about topics that concern them, is a far greater threat to true democracy than "people-with-bombs" etc. will ever be.

I understand the moderators are feeling pressure to respond to the disgust expressed by those with little tolerance for contrary opinions and forceful language, but I suspect this may be one more venue for free speech that is being shut down. Let's think for a moment about who exactly benefits by that loss...

We can all aspire to a greater maturity than this decision represents, can we not?

If ever there was a time that the world needed us to talk peacefully and constructively together about how to save the planet (and humankind) from the mess that we are thrusting it into, surely that time is now.

Thank you to all the moderators and owner(s) for this great resource that is the Large Format Photography Forum.
    (Please pardon the duplication, if you have already seen this reply on another thread - it seemed this was where it really belonged)

Com'on.... Cheney put you up to this didn't he?

Thank God we can at least still talk about incestous underage beastiality and necrophilia with dwarves in bondage.

There are tons of political and religious discussion boards out there.

Anyone got photos of waterfalls?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Thank God we can at least still talk about incestous underage beastiality and necrophilia with dwarves in bondage.
    Oooh oooh! I thought I was alone in wanting to discuss those topics!

Applauding your decision (clap clap clap)

Can you delete all the Pol. threads?
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Com'on.... Cheney put you up to this didn't he?

Not unless you're photographing them....

It's a slippery slope because it's hard to say where politics and religion begin in a general photo discussion.

When we talk about money, we are referring to the economy, which is tied to politics...

When we talk about nature or beauty, we're referring to something greater than us, which starts to get into religion.

That's interesting. The harshest conflicts I've had on this forum were absolutely non-political and non-religious (unless digital vs. film counts as either or both) and fully photographic. Ditto for encountering some of the biggest jerks.

I wonder what are we going to blame next for such things, now that the Lounge has been sanitized?

I'm kinda indifferent to the whole thing...I just almost never open threads on politics or religion and I don't think I've ever posted to one.