Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Schneider lens at photokina!

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Re: New Schneider lens at photokina!

Coatings aren't apochromatic, that's a lens design thingy. There are single-coated, multicoated and uncoated apochromatic lenses.

Oops, right. I was confused.

But still, is older Xenar apochromatic? (And other 3-Group 4-Element same design lenses)? I thought APO was a significant point for this lens, as the new emphasized it.

Thanks for correction.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflydream View Post
    By the way it's not sure if the 'Tubus' is optional accessory or included as standard. It's no more compact with this extender - 44mm extension and #3 lensboard. Most of field cameras wouldn't need Tubus.
    It is optional - the writeup mentions it as "accessory" ("Zubehör" in German). If you click on the link named "Fotos" under the text there is one image without it.

Looks interesting so far with Schneider and Linhof making announcements. Shame that Arca Swiss do not have a website. I checked the main Photokina website, but they are way behind Photoscala.de on updates. Rolleiflex now making a rotating 6x4.5 back for the Hy6, and a sliding back for the Xact2 monorail system to use MFDBs (Leaf, et al). I guess the best part is that some new gear is still being developed beyond the small camera realm.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Hmm I thought APO (at least in lens names) was mostly a marketing gimmick, from what I read the only real difference between a Sironar-n and APO Sironar-n is the white in for the APO lettering. I know APO has a real significance in optics but from what I understand most "modern" lenses should perform to APO standards whether they are marked that or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hutton View Post
    I'd guess about $1800-$2000. We'll see!
    I hope that is too high, at least for the street price. Lets see, the Apo-Tele-Xenar 400 Compact f/5.6 is listed for $2244.95 at Badger Graphic, but that comes in a more expensive Copal 3 and has much more glass in it. I think the new 350 f/11 should be substantially cheaper. Their smallest Apo-Symmar L in a size 1 shutter ist the 180mm f/5.6, for $1244,95 at Badger. That is the same shutter, but is a lens with six elements, including two cemented groups, so it should be more expensive than the new one in manufacturing (the new one is smaller, has only 4 elements and symmetry saves money in manufacturing). Of course they could have used expensive glass and want to recoup development costs. So my hope is that it will be close to the price of the 180 Apo-Symmar or less? End of crystal ball gazing and wishful thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by butterflydream View Post
    Oops, right. I was confused.

But still, is older Xenar apochromatic? (And other 3-Group 4-Element same design lenses)? I thought APO was a significant point for this lens, as the new emphasized it.

Thanks for correction.
    Ernie, it depends on the design.

There are apochromatic tessar types, for example., tessar type Apo Nikkors (some, not all, Apo Nikkors are dialytes), Zeiss Apo Tessars, some Industars, TTH Apotals and some TTH Copying Lenses (not all are tessar types), ... All slow lenses, f/9 or f/10 maximum aperture. To add to your confusion, Voigtlaender Skopars are tessar types but Apo Skopar process lenses are heliar types.

Marketing propaganda notwithstanding, I don't think there's an apochromatic tessar type faster than f/8. Old Xenars are faster than f/8, are not apochromats. AFAIK none of Schneider's apochromatic process lenses are tessar types, they're dialytes or dagor types or plasmat types.

Not that I would not be glad from one more lens on the market. But what is all the fuss about? The 50mm more focal length that separates it from the Fujinon 300 mm C with even larger (380mm) image circle? Perhaps. So what...

I just found some more information on the German web site photoscala: http://www.photoscala.de/Artikel/Apo...mpact-11350-mm

It will be available starting end of March 2009, list price €762 ($1120 at todays exchange rate) and €820 with the additional extender tube. These prices include VAT (19&#37, so one can hope for even lower prices in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    Not that I would not be glad from one more lens on the market. But what is all the fuss about? The 50mm more focal length that separates it from the Fujinon 300 mm C with even larger (380mm) image circle? Perhaps. So what...
    Depends on the lens lineup. As an example, many people own the Fujinon-A 240mm (or the G-Claron or Germinar W 240mm) as a compact lens. 300mm as the next step is awfully close, whereas 350mm is a noticeable step, and not everybody can accomodate the 450mm for the next Fujinon-C.