Thread: What Have I Done Now???

What Have I Done Now???

Hi, I'm Tim from the Sacramento area of Northern California and I've ordered a Chamonix 45n-1 from Hugo. First off, I want to thank everyone here for their wealth of knowledge that has helped me over the last couple weeks as I lurked and tried to get all this big film stuff somewhat straight! This forum has been invaluable and I know has already saved me a lot of money in mistakes...course it's cost me a bit too with those things I didn't know existed, but now I gotta HAVE....
    I've shot 35mm film for 23 years and have an ever growing collection of classic Nikons and a few Canons as well. Got my first DSLR 3 years ago, my Hussy came almost a year ago as well as the basic darkroom setup. I've wanted to shoot MF for nearly a decade, but just couldn't bring myself to invest in the format until the prices made it impossible to sit out. I've loved having the 6x6! Of course that led to an interest in classics and the Brownies, Beau Brownies, folder Kodaks, and Voigtlanders started coming regularly from the post man. 6X9 negatives started showing up on my light table and at long last, after a wonderful conversation with a gentleman shooting a Wista SP at Yosemite, the hunt for a 4X5 began. Much to my dismay, my D3 has only made it off the shelf twice in September while my S2 and FA are with me all the time
    I love to shoot scenics, you know snow capped mountains and the whole bit, but my focus this last year has been old stuff, ghost towns, old hydro power houses, blacksmith shops, and anything related to Ancient Bristlecones or Death Valley. Candid portrait photography interest has grown considerably as well in the last couple years as I acquired some of the 'creamy' fast Nikkors and put my shyness about candids behind me. A local 7 piece band and trio of female singers asked me to shoot their practices and a large event in the spring and I enjoyed it immensely and learned so much. I thought I carried a lot of gear until the drummer showed up at the first practice with a pickup and trailer of equipment! Probably where I'll be when the ULF bug sets in a year or so from now!
    I still have a place for my DSLR though as sports photography (MTB racing) and raptors are a heck of a lot of fun.
    I don't think my Chamonix will arrive for my week of fall colors in the Sierra coming at the end of this month, but I'm taking two weeks in late November to make a trip through Death Valley, the North Rim Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and Santa Fe, NM (a good friend lives there). I plan on giving it a work out that trip!
    Again, thanks for all the information, it's made this journey much easier.
    Best Regards,
    Tim

Re: What Have I Done Now???

Welcome Tim
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Welcome! MF is the gateway drug to bigger formats, I think. But it's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger View Post
    Yeah,,, once I started smoking MF, it was only a matter of time before the hard stuff started coursing through my veins.

Don Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Winger View Post
    True

And many find that 4x5 is merely the gateway to bigger formats and alt processes....think ULF ! The best advice I got was to consider this, and make lens purchases with film coverage in mind for future sizes.

Welcome!

Tim ... Jim ... also from Sacramento ... went the same route through the MF to LF ... don't know if it works for you, but there is a 4-day workshop in Arcata, CA (think beaches and redwoods) from 10/20-10/24. Inexpensive ... I think they ask for an $85 donation (can't beat that) ... will use the Humboldt State Univ. darkroom.

Put on by Per Volquartz whose prints you can see at his website ( http://www.pervolquartz.com/ ) Vaughn Hutchins ... who runs the HSU darkroom will be attending and demonstrating carbon tissue printing which is pretty extraordinary.

I've found workshops to be really beneficial ... get to meet others, talk photography, get excellent input, and get to some extraordinary sites to photograph.

Hope you enjoy the hobby!

Thanks! Gateway drug is a fact! Wow Jim, that really sounds like something I would really enjoy. I haven't been north of Mendocino in a few years, that would be a great trip. Taking a fourth week off this fall might be hard to swing, but I'll see .

You've done something terrible. And wonderful.
    -Chris