Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2x3 graflex cameras

2x3 graflex cameras

Hi,

So one of my side projects is looking for a smallish field/view camera to shoot hand-held using 405 pack film and 120 backs. i know the little century graphics come with graflock backs, but are they sized-down along with the camera? Do you need 120 and polaroid backs specifically made for the 2x3 series?

StayAtHome Dad & Photog

Re: 2x3 graflex cameras

Yes, the backs are smaller and Graflex made their various roll film adapters for both the 4x5 & 2x3 backs. I have a 2x3 Speed that I use pretty much only as a hand held roll film camera though I have used the ground glass occasionally. Personally I think of mine as the nicest 6x7 camera ever made I do need to get a 6x6 back for it too.

The best online reference remains the folks at http://www.graflex.org Between their FAQ & forum you should get any questions about the 2x3 Graphics.

William
    4x5 and a Tessar is heaven
    "I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies..." Green Day

Quote Originally Posted by William Barnett-Lewis View Post
    Yes, the backs are smaller and Graflex made their various roll film adapters for both the 4x5 & 2x3 backs. I have a 2x3 Speed that I use pretty much only as a hand held roll film camera though I have used the ground glass occasionally. Personally I think of mine as the nicest 6x7 camera ever made I do need to get a 6x6 back for it too.

The best online reference remains the folks at http://www.graflex.org Between their FAQ & forum you should get any questions about the 2x3 Graphics.

William
    I use the Horseman 6x9 (which is somewhat of an updated Japanese copy of the baby Graflex). It is a fun format.

I have several 2X3 Speed Graphics and roll holders from 6X6 to 6X9. A couple of RB-67 holders, too. If you have a camera with the rangefinder accurately adjusted for the lens in use, they are a really fun camera to use. Ground glass focusing on a tripod can give even sharper results. My favorite rigs are my Pacemaker 23 with 80mm f/2.8 Xenotar and my mahogany and polished brass Miniature Speed Graphic that I assembled from the parts in my "junque" box. They're fun to use.

StayAtHome Dad & Photog

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Thoreson View Post
    I have several 2X3 Speed Graphics and roll holders from 6X6 to 6X9. A couple of RB-67 holders, too. If you have a camera with the rangefinder accurately adjusted for the lens in use, they are a really fun camera to use.
    Isn't that the truth? I've got a sweet 1938 CZJ Tessar 10.5cm/3.5 on mine with an adjusted Kalart & and RH-10. It really get's some entertaining expressions on peoples faces when you whip that out and start shooting.

I do think I'd get more use from the GG if I ever find a wide angle I can afford.

William
    4x5 and a Tessar is heaven
    "I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies..." Green Day

Just to note that there are Graflex 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 reflex models in addition to the Graphic 23 press type cameras. The small Graflexes usually have sharp Ektar barrel lenses and because they are reflexes, swapping lenses is a possibility. Nikon and Canon SLR users note: there is no automation here. Graflex focal plane shutters have to be rewound after every shot and aperture has to be set manually. Graflex and Graphic backs are different as are sheet and roll film holders.

Just to echo the last post that the 2x3 Graflex RB cameras with the focal plane shutters make great walk-around cameras, too. These are the 2x3 SLRs, which come with graflex (rather than graflok) backs. If you search carefully, you can find 120 roll-film backs for the graflex backs. I've got a RB Series B with a 6x9 roll-film back and an Ektar 127 mm lens that is sharp but still gives nice bokeh wide open.

Cheers!
    Bill

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but practically speaking there are no Polaroid adapters for 2x3 Graphics. There's a semi-mythical Horseman adapter that might fit ...

Roll film holders are another matter entirely, as has already been mentioned.

As long as you have the Graflok back

The backs that fit the Graflex XL rangefinder Press cameras will fit as long as the XL has the Graflok back convertor fitted. I think you have to watch that you don't purchase a Graflex 2X3 that has a spring back. I don't recall if all the Century models had graflok backs. Some of the backs that came on the Graflex XL were made by Singer and reputed to be higher quality??? Who knows?

Not to be confusing here, but the Graflex XL did have polaroid backs, but only if you swapped the back mechanism which was NOT Graflok. So, don't be mislead by the XL having polaroid backs. That back conversion will not fit a Century.

What about one of the Polaroid pack-film/4x5 conversions? Well...its a thought.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!