Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LF magazines - which are best?

LF magazines - which are best?

Anyone remember 'Darkroom Photography' magazine? I've got about a dozen copies from 1990-92 and I treasure them...kickin' myself for not buying every issue (lots of gaps). Articles feature mainly LF stuff and the photos always inspire.

I also from Oz like Peter, but I must admit not looking around newsagents for LF mags (I already get 2 car mags a mth), I find the Net and forums like this a better alternative.

Thanks very much for your response guys.

View Camera seems to get the most votes, so I'll check it out and see if I can get a subscription. Andrew, yes I've also got a few old copies of 'Darkroom Photography' and I treasure those as well. They usually had a lot of LF stuff.

I'll see if I can get a copy of some of the other mags suggested too.

Thanks for your help

Kind regards

Peter Brown

Beverly Hills, California

Wow. "Sheep, mere sheep" (King Edward the Longshanks in Braveheart) for a moment, I thought the unanimous response was going to be "Arca Swiss" :>)

But it's View Camera this, View Camera that. Well, since Large Format photography is really about craftmanship from exposure through process and printing, I'm very suprised no one mentioned the indespensible and singular magazine "Photo Techniques". IT really should get top vote, come on guys!!!

In that case, how about the old Zone VI newsletters? Plenty of good LF stuff in there. Besides, Fred Picker's ranting makes for some pretty interesting reading.

I have to agree with Andre and David - Photo Techniques is a great mag which has more in-depth articles about LF techniques (especially darkroom stuff) than even View Camera. Howard Bond regularly contributes to it (as does Bruce Barnbaum, etc.) and a large part of the magazine is LF-specific. (View Camera itself is also a must-have for anyone into LF for the quality of its reproductions if nothing else, as well as for Steve Simmons' willingness to put out a quality mag in a very niche market. As a magazine writer, let me tell you - there are easier ways to make money!)

And the old Zone VI newsletters are great - back issues used to be available from Zone VI (now Calumet) and I have them all. Some of the specific technical advice may be questionable, but from a philosophical point of view it's pretty interesting. I've often thought that a book edited from those newsletters would make a great LF volume.

Cheers!

Have any of you seen the magazine "The World Journal of Post-Factory Photography"? It's heavily oriented toward art and alternative processes, has a lot of history in it, and is kind of wacky sometimes but is a real delight to read and has thorough pieces on, for example, bromoil, making gold toners, and obscure and all-but-forgotten imaging techniques. They're on issue #8 now. A fascinating magazine for those LF shooters who do work other than straight landscapes. Subscriptions are 24 $ US for four issues(about a year's worth), 38$ US to "The Pacific" which I suppose means Australia.

info@post-factory.org; Post-Factory Press, 61 Morton Street, New York, NY 10014.

I think we all agree that there are a number of fine publications available, but ceratinly the LF nich is not as rich with offerings as we would all like.

I find the following list of bi-monthly and quarterly pucblications to add inspiration and sufficient reading pleasure.

View Camera Magazine Photo-Techniques Lens Work Aperture B&W Magazine

I especially enjoy Lens Work with it's publication of portfolios, interviews and editorials all pertaining to making art. Very refreshing.

Good Shooting Mike

Peter,

I too, have been frustrated by the lack of quality LF mags in Australia. Frankly I am quite offended by Steve Simmons decision that the rest of the planet is undeserving of his precious publications (with the exception Robert White in the UK). Thus a few weeks ago I was amazed to see View Camera (and Camera Arts) on sale when in Melbourne (I live in Sydney). You can purchase copies at Borders in Chapel St, Prahran. Not inexpensive however, at AUD22.10. I have no idea whether the Borders in Sydney also stocks it, as I've never been through their doors.

I'll reserve my final judgement until after I see a subsequent issue, but needless to say I was largely underwhelmed by the May/June 2001 copy. For this sort of money you are far better to look at putting your hard-earned $$$ towards some monographs by established photographers (at least for inspiration). If you're near Melbourne, try The Printed Image Bookshop (also in Chapel St) http://www.tpi.com.au/

Best of luck!

Ross

I subscribe to PHOTOVISION and so far I have not regreted it. The editor, Steve Anchel, has made a good job of providing a mix of technique, interviews, essays and last but not least, portfolios of both known and unknown photographers. With no girlie eyecatchers in the cover to attract attention it certainly makes a change!

For those of you how appreciate a controlled approach to exposure and development I thoroughly recommend the "D-Max Newsletter" issued quarterly by Darkroom Innovations (www.darkroom-innovations.com). The D-Max Newsletter is centered around Phil Davis' methodology known as BTZS (Beyond The Zone System).

Phil is a great educator and there is always an article or two by him in every newsletter. He is a no-nonsense guy and writes with tremendous insight. I recommend ALL newsletters, which first appeared in 1992.