Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LF magazines - which are best?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

LF magazines - which are best?

Hi all

I'm living in Australia and there is a VERY limited range of photography magazines which discuss LF photography. Could list members please comment on which magazines they consider to be valuable resources and why, and if possible could you give me details of where to subscribe?

Thanks for your wisdom

Kind regards

Peter Brown

I think the response is going to be pretty unanimous. View Camera has been an excellent magazine whose central focus is on LF photography. See www.viewcamera.com to subscribe.

Old School Wayne

view camera is ok but it doesnt excite me as much as it used to. I cant put my finger on why. I generally peruse it at the newsstand and if it looks good I buy it. If it doesnt look good it doesnt come with me. I like Photovision so far although (as mentioned) it isnt strictly a LF mag. I requested Lens Work at the bookstore months ago, so I could see what its like, but it still hasnt shown up.

Thanks very much for your response guys.

View Camera seems to get the most votes, so I'll check it out and see if I can get a subscription. Andrew, yes I've also got a few old copies of 'Darkroom Photography' and I treasure those as well. They usually had a lot of LF stuff.

I'll see if I can get a copy of some of the other mags suggested too.

Thanks for your help

Kind regards

Peter Brown

Peter, "View Camera" without a doubt. We have a similar problem in the UK, ie a lack of LF journals/magazines. I get mine from Robert White as he offers a subscription service, very efficient it is too! I understand that you cannot directly subscribe if you live outside the US, so Mr White is a godsend! Regards Paul

View Camera. I could quibble with various editorial choices (this photographer is represented instead of that one etc. etc.) but the bottom line is that Steve Simmons provides a very wide range of what's going on in LF. Additionally, VC is the only consistent source of product reviews and information about LF education and events.... The only other photog magazine I get is LensWork, mentioned in one of the notes above. Not specifically LF, but great magazine, a print gallery basically. -jb

Another relatively new one that's showing some promise is called "Photovision".

While it's not specifically large format, there have been a number of LF related articles. They have also opted to stick with the "film" niche, and avoid all of the digital coverage that's taking over so many other magazines (though they acknowledge that the distinction is getting harder to make since many "film" photographers regularly scan their images and output them to digital printing devices).

Subscription information should be available at:

http://www.photovisionmagazine.com

I think Photovision is getting there. The piece on Sexton was especially nice. View Camera if you have to. I do. I also like Black and White Magazine (BW). While it's geared toward collectors and features all formats, "large format" is usually explicitly referenced when applicable. If you just like good photography and are interested in auction news, seeing good portfolios by past and present artists and want to read some of the best articles out there, this is probably the best publication going. Bar none. Phone for subscriptions (UK price is $69.50US, it's #3.95 on the newsstand) is 805.474.6633 or email bnwmagag@aol.com. By the way, this month's issue, while chock-full of ads for galleries, is still 144 glossy pages. I've subscribed since their first issue.

Beverly Hills, California

Wow. "Sheep, mere sheep" (King Edward the Longshanks in Braveheart) for a moment, I thought the unanimous response was going to be "Arca Swiss" :>)

But it's View Camera this, View Camera that. Well, since Large Format photography is really about craftmanship from exposure through process and printing, I'm very suprised no one mentioned the indespensible and singular magazine "Photo Techniques". IT really should get top vote, come on guys!!!

In that case, how about the old Zone VI newsletters? Plenty of good LF stuff in there. Besides, Fred Picker's ranting makes for some pretty interesting reading.