Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fall Color in the Tetons and Western Colorado

Re: Fall Color in the Tetons and Western Colorado

Hi Gale,
    I live in Kelly, Wyoming, which is at the base of the Tetons. The fall color hasn't peaked yet but it's definitely going turning out to be a good year. It's going to be another week and a half or so before the cottonwoods and aspens are in their prime.

There are some nice prospects of not often seen views of the Tetons from the Idaho side via Teton Canyon. Depending on how far you're willing to hike, you can get some impressive perspectives of the west side of the range from this vantage point.

Some other good photo opportunities can be found in the Wind River Mountains, located southeast of the Tetons about 2 hours by car. Green River Lakes, for example, can be accessed by car and provide some impressive views of some Wind River peaks without having to hike into the backcountry.

Also, there are some nice things to photograph in the Absaroka range, accessed via Highway 26, heading east from Moran to Togwotee Pass and the Continental Divide.

Good luck,
    J

Saratoga, CA

Hi J,
    Thanks for the excellent input! It now looks like I won’t be starting my trip until next week, due to the on going problems with my mouth, but it look like the timing should be alright. I’ll have to get my map out and look up some of the places you recommend although I’m sure I won’t be doing Tetons Canyon. In my old age, I’ve become a road shooter, no I don’t photograph roads, I shoot from the road .
    If you don’t mind, could I email you just before I leave for the latest update?
    Gale

No problem. Feel free to email me.

-Jansen

I was in Silverton last weekend after a trip to Monument Valley & Hunt's Mesa, and the Aspen had more color than I expected. This weekend should be nice in the high country, but I would think another week and there would be color down lower.

Terence

I'm heading out to the Ouray-Durango-Silverton area from Oct 8-14th. Anyone have any suggestions for good trails, etc? My friend has a couple of trails planned around Ouray, including one into a huge box canyon, but that's the extent of it right now.

We'll mostly be camping, but am not averse to a motel if the destination is too far from a good camping spot.

Just returned from a weekend trip to Denver. The Aspens are fully out in the 285 corridor between Poncha Springs and Grant with brilliant patches elsewhere. Kenosha Pass was awesome, but there were a couple of hundred cars parked all over.

On Friday traffic outbound from the Front Range was extremely heavy and last night the returning traffic was also heavy. Not many passing opportunities when you are going against the grain.

Tuesday I will be doing some shooting east of Silverton. The leaves have begun to turn here, Pagosa Springs, which is further south and at slightly lower elevation. Photography should be good.
    al

Hi Gale and Al,
    My name is Evan, and I am planning on taking a trip to photograph Aspens in Colorado as well. Being relatively new to LF (about a year) I would love to meet up with you guys and have a chat if nothing else. Gale, I was planning on taking almost the exact route you are, although I don't know how much time I will have. I've heard that the Sneffels range near Ridgway is very pretty, that will be my last stop I think. Let me know when you leave, and maybe I will see you out there. I would also be happy to share information about the state of the leaves, locations, etc if either of you are bringing cell phones. Otherwise have a good trip and perhaps I will see you.

Evan

Eric Biggerstaff

I was up at Kenosha Pass last night and the Aspens are at peak. So, I think the central mountains are about at peak.

If you are in the southwest part of the state, check out Last Dollar Road (Google it) between Ridgeway and Telluride. This is one of the best roads around for Aspens. They may of already peaked however, Al would know as he lives down in that area.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

The Aspens in the mountains around Pagosa have just turned. But... went to Durango yesterday and the Aspens at the higher elevations are now leafless.
    al

Saratoga, CA

Unfortunately. because of an on going dental problem (lost two teeth) I have canceled my trip this year. I do want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread as I'm sure others have benefited from it. I'm now thinking of a fall color trip to Zion around the first part of November.

Gale