Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fall Color in the Tetons and Western Colorado

Saratoga, CA

Fall Color in the Tetons and Western Colorado

I’m taking off on a road trip next week headed to the Tetons (from CA) for about a week then dropping down into Colorado (the San Juan Mts) for a couple of more weeks. Does anyone know how the fall color is looking? Too early/ late, looks like it’s going to be a good/bad year?
    In the Tetons can anyone recommend any photo ops that are not well known? Last year I was in the Ox Bow area one morning for sunrise. I got there about 4 in the morning and there was already about a dozen other photographers, by sunrise it was an absolute zoo, photographers shoulder to shoulder for about half a mile along the river.
    I’m mainly looking for fall color but I’m open for suggestions of other areas to visit. I know Yellowstone is close by and last year I drove up there for a day but I didn’t see any color and got very frustrated with people stopping in the middle of the road to look at a deer.
    Any input would be very much appreciated.
    Gale

Eric Biggerstaff

Re: Fall Color in the Tetons and Western Colorado

Not much color in Colorado this week, but in two weeks it should be very nice.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Scenic Web Cams

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Biggerstaff View Post
    Not much color in Colorado this week, but in two weeks it should be very nice.
    This link is kept for an index of scenic web cams and other lists of Web Cams, by attractions and by state.

Looking at the Grand Tetons (updated every 30 minutes) It looks pretty green on those cams that actually show deciduous foliage.

http://jimdoty.com/Links/Web_Cams/web_cams.html

Some of the links actually go to sites that give current foliage reports.

Here's a link to a current Tetons web cam, but the pictures change frequently. This one shows mostly green foliage in the foreground.

http://www.srv.net/~jpat/teton.html

hey bob,

we will be in the sawthooth mountains on the 28th for a week. let me know if you will be passing through. maybe we could shoot together (check this thread. note post #14). i was in SLC laste year in late oct and the canyons has some color. the sawtooths had some aspen color in mid oct last year as well.

another thing you may want to try is the Bridger-teton range. i got there also and it is nice....way less tourists too! not far south of the tetons.

next year come to NY for some of the best fall colors available!

cheers

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Saratoga, CA

Hi eddie,
    Thanks for the invite but I'm going to do the same loop I did last year (ca to Tetons, Colorado San Juans to Durango, north rim, Las Vegas, home) and hopefully do a better job then last year. Some of these were new to me and it always takes me a couple of visits before I start getting decent images. This image will give you an idea of what the fall color look like last year. I took this about 2 miles from the Ox Bow area. Have a good trip and share when you get home.
    Gale

Bob,

I was up in Creede on Thursday, the 18th. Most of the Aspen color is in its glory.

Around here, Pagosa Springs to Wolf Creek Pass, the Cottonwoods have turned, but not the Aspens. From my home I can see hints of color up around the treeline on Pagosa Peak so they should be turning soon.

Recent reports, yesterday, from Durango and Silverton say that the Aspens are still green in those areas too. I am postponing a trip I had planned to Silverton for Monday, deferring it for a week.

If you are down this way give me a shout. Maybe we can meet up in the mountains for a little shooting.
    Last edited by al olson; 21-Sep-2008 at 06:33. Reason: add text
    al

Saratoga, CA

Kuzano,
    Thanks for the links, they are great! It looks like it is stormy in the Tetons, it would be nice if there is fresh snow by the time I get there.
    Gale

Saratoga, CA

Good Morning Al,

I was planning on starting my trip this week but I'm having a problem with a tooth that needs to get fixed before I go anywhere. The bad news is I might be a Vicodin addict by the time I'm cured.

If I find out that I'm late for the Tetons, I'll drive straight to Colorado. Last year I started the Colorado portion of my trip in the north western area west of Steamboat Springs. That was my first time there and I was a little early, the Aspen were in that transition phase going from green to yellow (see attached). Hopefully my timing will be better this year as this area has the largest Aspen forests I have ever seen.

From there I'll start heading south through (maybe) Aspen via Independence Pass, to Carbondale, Redstone, Marble, McCure Pass, then over Kabler Pass to Crested Butte. Then south to Gunnison, over to Montrose and continue south to Telluride. Depending on how things are going and if I'm not sick of living out of my van, I'll go back over to Silverton and on south to Durango. Last year I went from Telluride to Cortez then up Arches N.P. and through Capitol Reef N.P. on my way home, might do that again?

Where in Colorado are you located? If you are close to any of the areas I've listed, sure lets get together, I'm sure you can show me some good spots. When I know my departure date, I'll PM you and give you the date and also my cell phone number.

Gale

Hi Gale,

I live in Pagosa Springs which is about an hour east of Durango on US 160.

If you have not done so before I would recommend following US 550 south from Montrose, passing through Ouray and Silverton. Then follow the Animas River northeast of Silverton. There are a number of gulches that have a good stands of Aspen. Should still be some wild flowers as the blue Astors and some of the yellows are still blooming here at 7500'. I am planning a trip up there on the 30th and may camp for a couple of nights.

There is also Yankee Boy Basin out of Ouray. I have not yet gone all the way in, but it is a popular spot for wild flowers and I am not familiar with the Aspen situation but I understand that it is pretty good. At least it is good on the first part of the drive.

A few miles south and a little east of Pagosa up on Blanco Basin Road off US 84 are some very nice Aspen groves. Closer there is Elwood Pass, but the road from the Pagosa side has been blocked off because of a large landslide and the soils are very unstable. It is possible, though to go up from the eastern side of Wolf Creek Pass.

If you are feeling venturesome, take Colo 149 south from US 50 through Lake City, check out around Lake San Cristabol (a beautiful lake area), cross Slumgullion Pass (check out some of the side roads), on down to Creede. The road for the mine loop tour at Creede was in its full glory last Thursday and they won't last more than a couple of weeks if we don't have any bad winds, but it may be worth a look.

The Rio Grande valley flattens out on the way south to South Fork but there will be color along the mountains.

I am not that familiar with the Aspen situation a Telluride so I cannot compare the above mentioned sites with the Telluride area.

When you travel from Gunnison to Montrose there is a stretch of US 50 between Sapinero and Cimarron where you can find nice Aspen groves by taking some of the side roads to the south. It will be worth taking a look.

When your schedule gets fleshed out let me know.
    Last edited by al olson; 21-Sep-2008 at 14:20. Reason: correction
    al

Northern New Mexico....???

As I recall, this is the time of year I camped out for a week above Taos New Mexico. Caught some incredible color. Also around Santa Fe. From there three of us went to the Anasazi ruins at Bandelier NM. Lots of good shooting there.