Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner needs camera advice

Beginner needs camera advice

I got started in LF recently when I had a Polaroid 110a converted to 4x5. While it's great to be able to give an old camera a new lease on life, I've found I'd like something a little more traditional to supplement it.

I read through some old threads here & checked out the main page, but I'm still not sure which direction to go in. I'd like something with some movements, so I believe that rules out the Crown & Speed Graphics. However, I'm not sure I should look at a field camera like the Tachihara or a view camera such as the Cambo. Money is also an issue (as in I don't have much), so that will be a big factor in which route I decide to go.

Any suggestions.

Re: Beginner needs camera advice

Quote Originally Posted by captainslack View Post
    I got started in LF recently when I had a Polaroid 110a converted to 4x5. While it's great to be able to give an old camera a new lease on life, I've found I'd like something a little more traditional to supplement it.

I read through some old threads here & checked out the main page, but I'm still not sure which direction to go in. I'd like something with some movements, so I believe that rules out the Crown & Speed Graphics. However, I'm not sure I should look at a field camera like the Tachihara or a view camera such as the Cambo. Money is also an issue (as in I don't have much), so that will be a big factor in which route I decide to go.

Any suggestions.
    To give me a better idea of what to suggest, what is your current camera lacking that you are looking for in another camera?

I would never tell someone which camera to use, but before you buy a monorail view, make sure you pick up to box that holds it all and understand the logistics of hauling that thing around (if that is what you intend). A field camera would probably be what you will want. An older monorail and an older wooden field camera may be about the same price. Crown & Speed Graphics do have limited movements.

I have a wooden field camera with limited movements. I'm not into the tilt/swing/shift.

I went the reverse of you. I started with a really heavy half-plate camera, never used it so bought a monorail. Never took it outside the house so eventually got a lightweight 5x4 from a kind member here. I bought a Speed Graphic but stripped it down to a lightweight field camera. Then after a short while got a Razzle.

I'm well happy with my Razzle (it's the Pola 900 vs the 110), and I'm looking at getting a Gowlandflex for studio.

I'd say tell us what it is you need, as the above posters say, that the Pola won't give you?

Mainly I'm looking for movements. The Polaroid doesn't have any. I'm planning on doing a project where I'll be doing a lot of photographing of building & street corners. The Polaroid will probably work for that, but I'd to be able to straighten out the contours if needed for the architectural shots.

Calumet 400 series or Graphic View. Professional, cheap, sturdy monorails with lots room for movements.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I agree on the Calumet 400 series, but the wide angle version if you are mostly doing architecture. The graphic view is a great camera but won't flex much for movements with wide angle lenses. You might look into both field and monrail cameras that accept bag bellows for hat reason. No problem with movements on longer lenses with almost anything.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

If money is at issue, you can haunt the classifieds here, and on APUG www.apug.org/classifieds/index.php and your local Craigslist. You'll fall across some bargains on suitable equipment before very long. If you find the wide angle Calumet, that would be a good choice, but many other cameras should get you where you want to go.

C

Have a look here for monorails:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Produ...BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

See the Sinar Alpina and Plaubel. The Plaubel has a bag bellows and an adaptor board to allow mounting of lenses on smaller Linhof lensboards.

Thanks everyone! I believe one of the local camera stores has a used Graphic View. I'll have to go look at it a little closer.