Could anyone tell me the dimensions of a standard 10x8 film holder? thanks

Dimensions of 10x8 film holder

Hi DAve,

Check out filmholders.com for your answer

Bill

David:

The dimensions of a recent 8x10 Lisco Regal II are as follows:

9 1/4 inches wide; 12 1/8 inches long; (12 9/16 to the top of the darkslide); 9/16 inches thick; 1/4 inch (approximately) from septum to face; 8 x 9 11/16 inches for the opening when the darkslide is removed.

I suspect that Fidelity Elite and other new 8x10 holders are about the same. Note that there is a more precise dimension for the septum to face measurement. The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) sets this standard but I don't have the exact number off hand. At any rate, the 1/4 figure is close enough for setting the groundglass depth on homemade LF cameras or constructing your own film holders. (It wasn't clear from your post why you need dimensions.) I should also point out that there are some other dimensions on a typical holder that are necessary if you are building your own camera back. The crucial one is the distance from the opening to the light trap (1/4 inch) and the width/height of the light trap (1/8 wide, 1/16 high).

I hope this information helps. Drop me a line if something is unclear or you need some other specific measurement not mentioned above.

David:

The dimensions of a recent 8x10 Lisco Regal II are as follows:

9 1/4 inches wide, 12 1/8 inches long, (12 9/16 to the top of the darkslide), 9/16 inches thick, 1/4 inch (approximately) from septum to face, 8 x 9 11/16 inches for the opening when the darkslide is removed.

I suspect that Fidelity Elite and other new 8x10 holders are about the same. Note that there is a more precise dimension for the septum to face measurement. The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) sets this standard but I don't have the exact number off hand. At any rate, the 1/4 figure is close enough for setting the groundglass depth on homemade LF cameras or constructing your own film holders. (It wasn't clear from your post why you need dimensions.) I should also point out that there are some other dimensions on a typical holder that are necessary if you are building your own camera back. The crucial one is the distance from the opening to the light trap (1/4 inch) and the width/height of the light trap (1/8 wide, 1/16 high).

I hope this information helps. Drop me a line if something is unclear or you need some other specific measurement not mentioned above.