Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CS4 Suite...

Re: CS4 Suite...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Knowles View Post
    Do we really need 64-bit technology?
    Yes, we do.

If you want to work well on the really large files that result from scanning LF film, then yes, you really do need 64 bit technology. I routinely work on drum scans of 5x4 color negative film as large as 1.5 GB RGB 16 bit, and I don't have any doubt that my (photo editing) life would be a lot better if Apple and Abode would finally get their 64 bit acts together and actually use the 64 bit hardware that's been available for years.

It's going to be one of those things that once you have it you'll be wondering how you could have gotten along without it.

Bruce Watson

I always say I'm not going to upgrade. Then I start reading and talking with friends and inevitably there will be a few new things that I think will be useful so I end up spending the $190 and doing it. And so far I've always been glad I did.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Yes, we do.
    If you want to work well on the really large files that result from scanning LF film, then yes, you really do need 64 bit technology.
    I would never argue against that need. I'm arguing the average photographers, like me, who rarely prints larger than 8x10, and usually has labs to their printing (only greater than 8x10). I'm just asking for most (say ~90%) of the market, how much will that add to the quality of their work that can't be done now?

I'm making more of a facetious argument that most, including myself, rarely if ever use what they have now enough to need more or better. It often seems software companies are selling the idea of being better with better software when it's really about the content, ie the photograph. If you need it, then good, but if not, why pretend you do?
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Photoshop is aimed at a much larger group of professionals than photographers. I think it would be rather safe to say that photographers represent a minority of users and that their requirements are relatively modest in comparison with some others.

If you feel overwhelmed with its capabilities, there's plenty of lighter-weight imaging applications out there which might be easier on both your wallet and your computer.

Software companies are doing the same as car companies - they keep improving their product and they keep coming up with newer, better, shinier models. What they don't do is keep a gun to your head and require that you trade in. Only you can tell whether you really want it, not to mention need it. But don't make assumptions on behalf of the rest of us. Please?

"What should Gimp do better to make you switch?"

Built-in support for 16-bit color spaces and operations.

Built-in support for ICC profiles, for both printing and on-screen proofing.

The last time I looked, neither of these were available. Are they available now ?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Broadbent View Post
    What should Gimp do better to make you switch?
    I really like Gimp but the problem is you can't use the useful plugins that run on photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Knowles View Post
    Has it ever dawned on people that just maybe all the computer technology available with photo editors is more than enough, even over the top, and CS4 is only keeping the tech-heads alive to develop new packages and the tech-head photographers drolling with the ever present need for better stuff thinking it makes them better? Do we really need 64-bit technology? After all how many people really use all the features and capabilities of Photoshop CS3 with the whole range of colors? And in the end it's still human judgement that decides, not technology.
    I use a lot of adjustment layers. CS increased the file size tremendously with each layer. CS 2 (or 3 - I forget) fixed this. That's huge. If I was only working with files 100 megs or less, I would be quite happy with CS3. However, I use large format and have a drum scanner, and the file sizes are in the Gigabytes. For these, CS3 is a dog. Yes, I would like more speed.

The question, of course, is whether the new version will deliver it. I doubt it. Their whole focus appears to be on the amateur, and digital, small file photographer. They don't like professionals and their pesky questions and real needs. They are too damn lazy to fix their memory issues.

Yeah, it's a love-hate relationship.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Fine, I'll upgrade. There seem to be a few but key features in CS4. Won't be in a rush though. It's still expensive to print 16 bit files on the chromira.

RAM trumps just about everything else for performance. We'll see how that upgrade works.
    My Stuff URL="http://www.dubickiphotography.com"]http://www.dubickiphotography.com[/URL]

Found these on the net so not sure if the features are correct

Photoshop CS4 New Features: ---

Enhanced masking feature:
    Layer Mask Density option allows you to fade away the effect of a layer mask gradually revealing the parts that are hidden.
    Real-time filters with no color depth restrictions:
    Allows filters to use graphics card power in image processing instead of the CPU, which means all operations will be much faster.
    Liquid resize feature:
    Allows you to shrink or enlarge a photo disproportionally without stretching it.

Enhanced Quick Selection tool:
    The Refine Edge dialog now has a new feature to deals much better with complex surfaces such as fur ensuring a more defined line between subject and background.
    Improved Dodge and Burn tools:
    Improved algorithm in these tools lets results look less destructive and more natural.
    Polished interface:
    Photoshop interface brightness will be adjustable like in Adobe Bridge with buttons and dialog boxes look will be improved.
    Extended and enhanced color profile management.:
    Multichannel, Device-Link and Abstract color profiles to be added.

Other Photoshop CS4 new features and improvements:

New technology for creating amazing panoramas.
    Rotatable canvas in 360 degree space
    Better HDR support
    Faster load time
    Enhanced vanishing point
    Better Black & White conversion
    Better RAW image processing

The last thing i need is a version of Photoshop that can do even more! That said, i'll have the new version the moment it hits the shelves, my boss is very big on being "up to date"... His version of "up to date" usually means "lots to learn" for me!