Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sinar Shutter on Field Camera

Re: Sinar Shutter on Field Camera

This is how I modified the Sinar shutter to work on the Calumet C-1. It does not work from behind, as intended. However, it suits my way of working in the field and allows for myriad barrel lenses on easily made wooden boards. Three studs at the back of the shutter board (shutter is attached to Calumet board) hold filters in frames.

That is, as the British would say... Brilliant !

John T's solution is quite elegant, with that universal lens mount.

I know you are trying to use it with a 7x11 camera but with a Sinar, a nice solution is to mount the shutter on an intermediate standard, adding another bellows in front of it and then you can mount the barrel lenses on standard Sinar boards rather than those funky DB mounts.

W K Longcor

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    John T's solution is quite elegant, with that universal lens mount.

I know you are trying to use it with a 7x11 camera but with a Sinar, a nice solution is to mount the shutter on an intermediate standard, adding another bellows in front of it and then you can mount the barrel lenses on standard Sinar boards rather than those funky DB mounts.
    I've been fooling around with trying to design my own extention board with iris lens clamp. Your idea -- is so simple -- and so easy. Thank you!

Sanders McNew showed me, and I am sure someone showed him before...

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Here was my solution to the Sinar Shutter. It is mounted on a Phillips 8x10 Compact II. I removed the aperture setting device and readout, shortened the lever to close the shutter and removed the sync jack. To attach the universal lens mount, I made a lens board that extended it away from the shutter about 1/2".
    John,

At max drop, can the shutter speed ring touch the camera body giving concern for possible damage in an accidental release of the front standard?

Thank you,

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    This is how I modified the Sinar shutter to work on the Calumet C-1. It does not work from behind, as intended. However, it suits my way of working in the field and allows for myriad barrel lenses on easily made wooden boards. Three studs at the back of the shutter board (shutter is attached to Calumet board) hold filters in frames.
    Merg,

Thank you for posting. This is along the idea of what I was considering trying to patch together, I am hoping to use Tech V boards for space. I will attempt it on a Packard at first if I can find a deal, and then work it through on a more advanced shutter If I like the direction it is going.

Winter here is long, and cold January and February months are the perfect time to be on the darkroom and to tinker.

best regards,

Allen

Certainly a less elegant solution, but it works well:
    front mount of the shutter.
    I had a custom made adapter machined, that screws into the rear of the sinar shutter.
    With custom adapter rings, it can then be mounted to different barrel lenses, fixed with the three tightening screws.

Sidney

It looks pretty elegant to me !

If I were to design a new view camera from scratch, I would include "native support" for this sort of thing.

I would also figure out a way to take modern lenses out of their 5 and 8-bladed shutters, and use waterhouse stops instead. Who needs those pentagonal and octagonal diaphragms after all ?

That would combine the best of modern and "classical" technology.

Thanks Ken.
    I had to opt for this solution since I'm shooting 'only' 4x5, and therefore no way to get the sinar shutter close to the front standart of my folding.
    Regarding the iris, yes, waterhouse stops are great, can't figure out why with todays technology, it is impossible to build nice round diaphragms...
    Other very round shaped solution, as someone once posted here, 'shoot f***ing wide open'.

Sidney