Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Factory Misaligned Super Graphic Viewfinder

Factory Misaligned Super Graphic Viewfinder

I have posted a photo of my Super Graphic. It may not be readily apparent in the photo, but hopefully so, that the viewfinder is slightly cocked to the right (at front). And for all examination, this is a factory installation. Properly threaded screw holes in the top of the body, correct mounting block for this viewfinder, everything looks as if to be a factory job. And I might add that the mounting block has no slotted holes for adjustment. The thing is all fitted to mount with no adjustment capability. Yet as you might be able to tell, it is a bit crooked. I can tell the difference in aiming between the viewfinder and the wire framefinder without even having to use a tripod. There's no question about it--it's crooked alright. But from the factory? Had American manufacture become this sloppy by 1957? We all know of American cars not having perfect sheet metal fitting, and other ill-fitting manufactured goods. But if I use the finder on this camera, my photos will certainly be off-center to a very unsatisfactory degree. Any comments? Thank you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	graphic.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	173859

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Factory Misaligned Super Graphic Viewfinder

Hi Henry... welcome back. From here the viewfinder looks misaligned. But are you sure they were factory installed. I have a vague recollection that they were delivered without the viewfinder. But I can’t recall where I got that impression. Have you compared the viewfinder with ground glass to determine how much Kentucky windage you’ll need? How’s the real estate market? Ours is booming at this time.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

By the way, I’d consider grinding the mounting plate hole from round to elongated...

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    By the way, I’d consider grinding the mounting plate hole from round to elongated...
    Hello Brian Good to see you. Thank you for answering. It sure looks like a factory job to me in every respect. And I had always thought the camera was ordinarily marketed with no finder. Other than being gray to match the camera, it bears much resemblance to an ordinary Pacemaker The mounting clip is different, in that the spring finger is to be lifted up rather than pushed down to removed the finder, and the mounting block is obviously a factory-dedicated piece for this finder. The screwholes in the camera body are done to perfection, the screws are obviously factory screws. If this isn't a factory job, then I'm a monkey's uncle.
    Curiously, neither hole in the mounting block is ovaled or slotted in the least to allow adjustment. Almost as if the factory used a jig to hold the camera while the drill machine bore the holes, the block mounted, and that was that. Par for the course with a lot of American manufacturing of the day, not to disparage. We all remember cars with ill-fitted doors and hoods and the like.
    Anyway, truth be known, I like it "finder-off" and a grafmatic back like Charles Bronson.
    As for real estate, it's tough going. The market's too good. Too many agents and too few properties. But some of them are cooking. Just sold a house in 1 day at full price though. 1300 for me. Regards.

You compared the viewfinder to the ground glass image and they did not match? Did you have the parallax distance set correctly on the viewfinder? The correct viewfinder mask is attached to match the lens and it is not bent or damaged?

You asked for 'any comments'.

You are complaining about 'American' products 60 years late. You did it twice.

'American' includes many countries.

And yes the darn thing is off. My 1951 Speed is perfect.

Some news photographers used to have their finders set at a particular angle to view the subject at their normal shooting distance. This looks like one of those cameras. Cameras were set for a particular distance, exposure with flash was computed for the same distance, the finder was set to match.

I'll buy that Jim. I recently read that Weegee had his set at 10' for almost everything.

Of course, other distances could be used for a different specialty.

Excellent post. As for any perceived complaint about America goods in that era, they were not perfect. But they were still the best in the world. I'd have a '57 Chevy or Ford Fairlane before I'd have any dozen of the import jobs, then and now. Graflexes weren't perfect. But they still rule.
    As for my crooked factory viewfinder, it's decided. Slide it off, put it in a place where my heirs can find it for resale, and enjoy the camera with the wire finder. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    You asked for 'any comments'.

You are complaining about 'American' products 60 years late. You did it twice.

'American' includes many countries.

And yes the darn thing is off. My 1951 Speed is perfect.

My Super Graphic never had a viewfinder, my theory is they didn't come with one because of the rotating back, the finder doesn't frame a vertical composition.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org