Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LF in the movies

Re: LF in the movies

LF in musicals -

Funny Face - Fred Astaire plays a variation on Richard Avedon (Avedon was a consultant on the film), several LF shooting scenes and darkroom scenes (that have nothing to do with reality of course - it's a musical - he processes a print through developer, stop and fix in about 30 seconds total...)

Easter Parade - Many old press cameras in view as the characters parade down 5th Avenue in their finest in the opening and closing scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
    Are there any movies that feature LF photography - especially period movies? I seem to remember a Chinese movie which dealt with the first introduction of photography in China, but can't remember the name. As I read more about early photography I am led to wonder if cinema has ever tackled any part of that history. Documentaries would be interesting suggestions too, but I am really thinking of movies here.

-A
    "What The Bleep Do We Know?", - Marlee Matlin plays the role of a confused frustrated woman and wedding photographer that enjoys shooting photographs with an 8x10 Cambo.

" Charlie Varrick" - Sherre North plays a small supporting role as a hack studio photographer and uses an old Calumet 4x5 to photograph Walter Matthau for a passport photo. She used the camera like she knew what she was doing.

Don Bryant

Strangly enough, in all the Harry Potter movies, the press photographers are always using LF press cameras.

Anybody else seen MAN ON WIRE ?

It's a docu-film, one of the accomplices is interviewed in his studio, LF monorail in background.

The Rookie

There was a photographer in Godfather that made the mistake of taking a picture of Barzini. If I remember right, he pulled the negative out, crumpled it up and tossed it ont the ground. A few minutes later, Sonny grabbed a camera from a journalist outside the gate and destroyed it. All in the first 10 minutes of the movie.

I like the typical scene in some of the old westerns where a photographer has his head under the dark cloth while he's holding the bulb up wating for the shot.
    Yeah. I'm familiar with Photoshop. It's the place I buy my film.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Anybody else seen MAN ON WIRE ?

It's a docu-film, one of the accomplices is interviewed in his studio, LF monorail in background.
    Back up in response #3, Ash.

Ahhh! Should have read the thread first, was being lazy

Don't remember the name of the film, Alec Guiness plays a husband keen on photography, chats to some other character re his new Thornton Pickard, WP Ithink.

Comes to a sticky end when his shed/darkroom is blown up. Guiness as usual plays several of the roles in a comedy murder mystery. Anyone else remember it or am I having a senior moment?

Gari

I believe FUR (the Diane Arbus movie starring Nicole Kidman) did. I don't know if it was ever released. Arbus used a Norma and Lens and Repro rented one to the production crew.

There's a Speed Graphic in "Coal Miner's Daughter" (and if I recall correctly, they forgot to pull the darkslide before taking the picture!).

There's also a large format camera used at the end of "The Blue and the Gray."
    Christopher J May
    West Chicago, IL