Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Technical Pan Film

Re: Technical Pan Film

I am working my way slowly through some Lith/print film, which is no more than 1 ASA in Rodinal 1:50 for 7 minutes. I remember developing some 35mm Kodalith in the POTA soup I made up for the Tech Pan The speed was still pitifully low.

I actually have a nice stash of Techpan in 35mm & 120, all last expiration dates frozen since new. But I have one box of 50 sheets in 4x5 and even though I have Technidol and TD3 to soup it in, I am wondering how this is going to work in rotary process which is the only way I soup 4x5?

Any ideas on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    I actually have a nice stash of Techpan in 35mm & 120, all last expiration dates frozen since new. But I have one box of 50 sheets in 4x5 and even though I have Technidol and TD3 to soup it in, I am wondering how this is going to work in rotary process which is the only way I soup 4x5?

Any ideas on this?
    I process mine in the jobo as well. I only use the stuff for low contrast subject but rodinal 1:100 works for me. I don't have my data in front of me but 5 or 6 minutes at speed 3 is what I use.

In the 1970s, I was a BioMedical Photo Major at the Rochester Institute of Technology. Our "over the Christmas holiday" assignment was to shoot some 4x5 B&W film and print up some 8x10s to be graded when we got back to RIT in January. I was driving a '68 VW Bug at the time and had no extra room to carry a 4x5 system in a large case and a again large tripod. Shot the assignment with 35mm Technical Pan film, processed is what was the specialized developer at the time for the film and printed up 8x10s. Mounted and matted them and handed them in. Got an A for the assignment with some kind of quote from the professor like "the image quality of shooting 4x5s is obvious in your prints... Ironically 2nd year up there started using an 8x10 B&J wooden view and learning the Zone system under George DeWolf and Nile Root. Fast forward to the present time... shoot Full Plate and 11x14 formats. Print Salt and Pt/Pl contact prints and love to be part of this Large Format Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Purling View Post
    The slowest film I used on 4x5 was the EFKE 25 somebody mentioned and that has disappeared as well.
    What alternative is there in 4x5?
    I think the only currently produced ISO25 film is Rollei RPX25 isn't it? Though one could always pull an ISO100 film, it wouldn't look the same. Has anyone actually tried the RPX 25 ?