Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens Shade

Lens Shade

I got some beautiful images printed this winter from my fall trip to India and N epal. Still have a few more to do. During this winters work, I think I finally began to recognize flare when I saw it. It seems to be worse on hazy sunny day s and I think that t-max is more prone to it than tri-x. At any rate the hat tr ick definately does not always work. I am therefore in the market for a lens ho od. I have checked out some of the previous threads but am still not sure which direction to go. I have 90mm, 150mm and 300mm lenses. I would love to have on e hood that took care of all three. I don't particulary want anything mechanica l because of weight concerns. Any suggestions on a single light weight hood tha t will work for all three of my lenses? Right now I am using the Cokin filter s ystem , but don't really have a problem changing if necessary. Thanks Paul

Lens Shade

I think the Lee shade and filter system would work just fine for you. I use it on 90mm to 450mm and couldn't be happier with it. As there are several Lee lens shade models, be sure to get the "wide angle" version where the 2 filter slots are made as part of the shade unit and not the foundation kit+shade model. Good Luck.

Lens Shade

What camera are you using?

Lens Shade

I've never had any trouble with the archaic method of placing the darkslide (once you draw it) on the top of the front std. and draping the darkcloth over that (more or less out in front depending on length of lens, position of sun). (I try to find ways to mount filters behind the lens.) Just as a matter of common reasoning (search me re: any "science" etc.), I can't see how the most expensive compendium lens shade is better than this. Maybe somebody else on the thread knows better .... -jeff buckels (albuquerque)

Lens Shade

I use a Phillips 4X5.

Lens Shade

Don't forget that Ansel Adams frequently used his hat as a lens shade. Sometimes the easiest answer is the best.

Lens Shade

Lee Filter system is the way to go.

Lens Shade

I you use your hat as a lens hood/shad than what is protecting your head, face, ears and neck? Not a good practice, IMHO. Safety first big guy! ;-)

Mike

Lens Shade

Somebody mentions that AA used his hat. It occurred to me that, in every classic picture I've seen of AA or EW out in the wilds w/ their cameras, you never see a lens shade (as such). I'm sure they used hats, darkcloths, cards, whatever was handy. And this was in the no-coating and/or single-coating eras. You've seen the images. -jeff buckels

Lens Shade

I always just use the darkslide. After you pull the slide, just hold it so that it cast a shadow over the lens. Just be carful not to photograph part of the darkslide.