Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: canyonlands, moab, and the sawtooths

canyonlands, moab, and the sawtooths

hello westerners,

we got a easterner heading out your way.....a NYer non the less......be warned!

i will be in SLC on the 21st of sept. i plan to drive to the Moab region that day. i have shot and climber there many many times. my favorite places are indian creek and island in the sky. i plan to explore far up the other canyons in indian creek this time. any other must see suggestions (been to arches)?

after 5 days i head back to SLC to get my friend and then up into the sawtooths. i have not spent much time there yet. any suggestions?

if anyone is around and has some time and wants to come out and play please let me know. it is always un to meet with and shoot with other LFers.

be there soon.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Re: canyonlands, moab, and the sawtooths

Island in the Sky is one of my favorites for sure.

If you are in the Moab area there is a terrific little run down still active town (really a settlement) called Cisco. I had some great fun photographing there some years ago.

Ever been to "Goblin Valley" really strange little hoodoo outcroppings with a mountain vista in the background. There is a campground there as well. Out of Goblin Valley there is a fairly decent road that goes towards Wild Horse Canyon. I took that road for what amounted to all day and saw various forms of spectacular Utah erosion I had not seen that often in other areas. Keep bearing left for photography. There are off shoots of that backcountry road that will connect with I 70 if that works for your return to SLC. The spectacular erosion is not however on that road heading north to the interstate.

Also, if you head south from Goblin Valley to Hanksville on RT 24 I believe and then turn west towards Capital Reef National Park that main road has some very interesting landscape on the right hand side of the road. The "Factory Butte" is in that very area.

UT. best state in the land

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

Terence

If you'll have 4-wheel drive, I highly recommend Capitol Reef NP. The Cathedral Valley area in the north end of the park is one of the most beautiful places iI've ever seen.

Goblin Valley and the slot canyon in Wild Horse Canyon are also worth the trip.

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

As a native NY'er, I once visited the west in 1971, and never went back.

Have you been to Castle Valley? There are driving instructions in Roper and Steck's Fifty Classics.

awesome! thanks everyone! keep em coming....i will do it.

is a 4x4 a must to get to the good stuff in capital reef?

more....please
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Eddie, the road isn't that technical but it can be sandy in spots and a few rocky sections as well. It is impassable after a rain because of numerous washes that it crosses. If the weather is good you could probably make it at least to the temple of the sun and moon in a rental that you don't care about That area is spectacular with huge monoliths popping out of the landscape and it is rarely visited because of it's remoteness. Get up early and be there for sunrise or better yet camp out there and have the place to yourself.
    regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    Eddie, the road isn't that technical but it can be sandy in spots and a few rocky sections as well. It is impassable after a rain because of numerous washes that it crosses. If the weather is good you could probably make it at least to the temple of the sun and moon in a rental that you don't care about That area is spectacular with huge monoliths popping out of the landscape and it is rarely visited because of it's remoteness. Get up early and be there for sunrise or better yet camp out there and have the place to yourself.
    regards
    Erik
    eddie,

why don't you go to idaho first and then we can go here.

Eddie,
    I will be in Bryce on the 28th will you be around?
    Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    awesome! thanks everyone! keep em coming....i will do it.

is a 4x4 a must to get to the good stuff in capital reef?

more....please
    Capital Reef is the least visited area for me and I have been to Utah more times than I can remember. That said, that area is the first area I would return to when I go again.

At the end of September you are probably a bit too early for the ranchers driving cattle down from the high country, nevertheless be on the look out for cowboys, cattle and drovers. Cowboys were very friendly to me and granted me some time for portraits, that is until the cattle got restless, then they spring into action.

Enjoy your time in UT

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com