Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets do a REAL book!

Richard M. Coda

Re: Lets do a REAL book!

I'd like to participate.

We just finished a hand made book for a LF class here in Scottsdale. The photos were all silver gelatin prints (except for a handful of platinum and inkjet prints) that were hand-tipped (glued by top corners) in. We had it professionally bound in leather, and I did the typography for the text pages.

I have attached some small snaps to this post.

Oh, BTW, are any of your wives' names Michele? Now, I'm starting to think she's cheating on me!
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Coda View Post
    Oh, BTW, are any of your wives' names Michele? Now, I'm starting to think she's cheating on me!
    Mine is Kerstin, and she's "another one of those". I still haven't got a decent (and certainly not indecent!) picture of her.
    Last edited by Ole Tjugen; 13-Sep-2008 at 13:10. Reason: Spellling again.

Richard M. Coda

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    Mine is Kerstin, and she's "another one of those". I still haven't got a decent (and certainly not undecent!) picture of her.
    I was lucky enough to have one session, two photos, on our honeymoon. Classic-style nudes. I think they came out beautiful, she did not. The subject has never come up again
    my blog

LJ Segil

Anything but.
    LJS

I really enjoyed the Blurb book done last year. My wife and I were looking at it last night and decided on a LF project to do this year with the intermediate goal of producing a book on this subject which we hope will lead to a project on a related topic as part of a three part set of three places close by our place. As well Christmas 09 presents for family and friends.

But a book going to be published for sale is a different story. It will need to be edited tighter than the A Larger Format one I would think to make it more marketable. To paraphrase Groucho Marx, would I invest in a book that would have my images in it? Who would edit the book and who would decide who was and who was not in it or would it be as open as the last book? Those are all questions that I think should be well decided before we start committing funds.

I am not trying to be negative on the idea, I think it is great. Was hoping that A Larger View would become a biannual event anyways and this could be so much more. I know that you are just sending out feelers and my response is with that in mind so not expecting any answers to the questions, that was not the intention. There was a lot of work involved in the last one and if it is a little bit commercial would those who do that work get compensation. I think that would be fair.

I would be interested in being involved though nudes would be entirely new to me unless you count shots with the dog's collars off. Regardless of the subject I think I would plan on creating new images for this book if was included in the group.

And regardless of if this book goes ahead or not I think it would be great if as a group we did another book on demand in 2010. I is great seeing the work of others that I only know through their postings.

Whatever happens good luck and thanks for the past endevour and for even thinking of the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Coda View Post
    I'd like to participate.

We just finished a hand made book for a LF class here in Scottsdale. The photos were all silver gelatin prints (except for a handful of platinum and inkjet prints) that were hand-tipped (glued by top corners) in. We had it professionally bound in leather, and I did the typography for the text pages.

I have attached some small snaps to this post.

That book looks absolutely beautiful. Those who tell me that photos are meant to be seen only on monitors or projected need to see these types of books.

Richard M. Coda

Quote Originally Posted by redrockcoulee View Post
    That book looks absolutely beautiful. Those who tell me that photos are meant to be seen only on monitors or projected need to see these types of books.
    Thanks!
    my blog

I'm in for any subject, but I also think the design and supervision of the book production should be handled by someone with some experience.... even nudes might not sell so well if the pages aren't attractive.... paper, binding, typeface all factor into the look and feel.

I remember the first books Ralph Gibson self-published (Somnambulist, Deja Vu, and Days at Sea) were printed as duo-tones and he spent days at the printer getting it right. That's probably still true today in order to get a good print job.

Richard M. Coda

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Baird View Post
    I'm in for any subject, but I also think the design and supervision of the book production should be handled by someone with some experience.... even nudes might not sell so well if the pages aren't attractive.... paper, binding, typeface all factor into the look and feel.

I remember the first books Ralph Gibson self-published (Somnambulist, Deja Vu, and Days at Sea) were printed as duo-tones and he spent days at the printer getting it right. That's probably still true today in order to get a good print job.
    I will volunteer my services (graphic design)... if everyone is OK with that. My graphic design website is www.pctype.com. I do have many years experience in dealing with printers.
    my blog

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_A View Post
    If you ended up doing an open subject book or even a landscape book, I'm in if any of my work is good enough for ya'll. I don't do the people thing and the wifey isn't the type of wife who's ok with nudes.

-Brian
    there's always yourself!