Thread: Belgium and Luxembourg

Belgium and Luxembourg

I will be in Europe on business in late September and intend to visit Bruges and Gent in Belgium, and Luxembourg City. I have Friday night through Monday night available to photograph. Other than the canals and architecture, is there anything else I should be aware of as a possible subject? With regard to the churches, is it possible to set up a tripod to shoot? I ask because I will be shooting with a large format camera.

Rick Russell
    richardrussell-1@ca.rr.com

Re: Belgium and Luxembourg

Hi Rick,

there are no specific tripod regulations in Belgium. Just take care that you still allow people to pass when setting up on a sidewalk.
    In churches, it's best to ask permission first. A few might not allow photography at all!

Ghent is very nice. I have my daytime job there. People might not be too amazed when they see you shooting LF in Ghent... I've been there quite a lot of time shooting the 7x17 lately :-)

Bruges will bee too crowded for LF shooting, I'm afraid. Ghent is a lot larger.

Kind regards,
    Geert

jetcode

The square, canals, and architecture will keep you busy. I spent 2 days in Brugge and it went by very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Russell View Post
    I will be in Europe on business in late September and intend to visit Bruges and Gent in Belgium, and Luxembourg City. I have Friday night through Monday night available to photograph. Other than the canals and architecture, is there anything else I should be aware of as a possible subject? With regard to the churches, is it possible to set up a tripod to shoot? I ask because I will be shooting with a large format camera.

Rick Russell
    richardrussell-1@ca.rr.com
    Hi Rick,

It's always fun to photograph the tourists. (maybe a bit difficult with LF)

Don't plan to be able to photograph in churches in Bruges, they do not allow tripods. If you try to set up your tripod they will ask you not to This is just because it would make the church too crowded. If it is a really quiet day, ask somebody wether you can.

In Ghent there are some nice second hand book shops with books on art/photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Wimpler View Post
    In Ghent there are some nice second hand book shops with books on art/photography.
    That's right:

"De Slegte" - near the university hall, streetname is "Devolderstraat", and an english seconde hand bookshop on the "Ajuinlei" (that's a street) but I don't know if they've got anything on photography. Right behind the corner (Jacobijnenstraat) is a great store with lots of art and architecture books, but very pricy!

If you try to set up your tripod they will ask you not to This is just because it would make the church too crowded.
    And also because they'd rather like to sell their own pictures and postcards

G

I remember a shop with books on art/photography in the "Burgstraat". I also went to the "Ajuinlei", and bought about a quarter of their books on photography Both shops still have a shelf or so books on photography, including some large format work.

If you have a chance, try to hit Ypres, under Menin Gate, the local fire department at 8pm local time everyday has buglers go out and play "Last Post" in honor of the British and Commonwealth troops who defended their city in WWI. My friend who lives in Antwerp said it is very moving.