Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: LFinfo deteriorating??

Re: LFinfo deteriorating??

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Click on the link and read my post. It answers your question in detail.
    sorry i do not go to the lounge anymore....but thanks for the bait......

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    This thread belongs in the lounge
    maybe so.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I think the Lounge is a good thing.

Most relatively public forums need and have a space for people to blow off steam or socialize off topic, otherwise they do it in the main forums, unless the forums are heavily policed, and I don't think the volunteer moderators here have the time to do that kind of surveillance. If you want a photo forum with that kind of monitoring, I recommend this one--

http://www.cpiforum.com/

If all the nonsense is kept in the Lounge, then those of us who aren't interested can simply turn it off.
    Totally agree with you David. There has to be space for off topic.
    I stay away from the dark side... :-)
    Héctor Navarro Agraz

Yes the Lounge is valuable & fun

But hearing US members harangue each other over politics is pathetic. It's extremely interesting what the world outside the US thinks about it all.

Ian

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    Yep, I regret it now...Evan Clarke
    I have a lot more latitude about what takes place here, others don't ... I find the LF content section ebbs and flows, high and dry, in cycles like the seasons ...

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    sorry i do not go to the lounge anymore....but thanks for the bait...
    It wasn't bait, it was a link to a single post by me that answered your question. OK, if you're afraid to peek in that category, here it is for you, verbatim, in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    As I recently posted in response to a question about the Unified View, my home page is a search that returns all posts for the last 30 days. It looks just like the LF Forum did before transitioning to vBulletin commercial software. I like it that way. Even though I argued against including these two categories, I want to know what's being said in them.

I read the lounge because it reveals the character of those posting there. While no great expert or authority, my decision whether or not to assist members of this community outside The Lounge is influenced by their character. There are those who have demonstrated in The Lounge that they're not worth a single keystroke in other LF Photography Forum categories. As to why I participate in The Lounge, please re-read what I posted above.

"I've only started participating -- lightly -- in The Lounge recently for the sake of lurkers...I decided that falsehoods need correction so innocent bystanders won't be lead astray by them."

I was and remain opposed to a "For Sale" category because there's no need for it here. Thanks to our benefactor, no revenue is required to sustain the site and none is generated by "For Sale" postings. The less commercial a forum such as this one can be, the better. Posts made in other categories can and sometimes do serve to enhance posters' commerce in "For Sale" listings. The conflict is not always obvious, especially to new visitors. I'd rather that marketing take place at dedicated venues and this community restrict itself to the sharing of information and experiences.

I've stated these opinions before, as a search of the archive will demonstrate. Decision of the owner remains final.

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    It seems that all that is posted lately is lounge and for sale. Is LF photography dead??..Evan Clarke
    Sorry, but it does seem slow. The lenses forum has not had a "which focal length for 4x5" thread in a couple of weeks to which I would have jumped in "135 mm". All the site forums seem slow. I don't generally venture into the lounge. Maybe I should?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Hany.

Quote Originally Posted by Hany Aziz View Post
    I don't generally venture into the lounge. Maybe I should?
    Unless you like politics and are a democrat, I'd keep up with your current trend of staying out of it. I'm not really goin back in there much anymore because it's not worth my time. Sick of the arguments.

-Brian

The Lounge is an interesting drop-by once in awhile but with it being an election year ... and an exceedingly different one at that ... it's going to get weird until November ... and probably a little beyond.

I've been doing LF (in wetplate collodion) for about one year, and it's been the best recent experience of my life. Much of what I've learned and who I've socialized has been on forums like this one. It's been great and I've learned a lot about the topic and some really nice people.

I took one look at a topic of interest in the lounge a month ago. Turns out to be an antigun rant full of wild acusations, belittlement, anger, etc. I don't have to set "ignore", I just do it. Why do I need to add stress and negative emotions to my life?

There is lots of good info on the site, but like most things it ebbs and flows. Most of the stuff posted is not "new' info, but various incarnations of the same stuff. It is the same with any forum or publication for that matter, that is subject specific.
    Example- I do a fair amount of woodworking. I used to subscribe to Fine Woodworking magazine. I think it is the best of the publications on the subject. But after a while, there gets to be only so many times you can read about the best way to tune a bedrock plane. Now, unless there is a very specific article I want, I don't buy it.
    I think the same thing happens here. A lot of the same info gets rehashed in various forms, but it is still the same info. Unless it is info you are looking for, it will not draw your interest.
    As to the lounge- if it bothers you, don't go there; it is not required reading for anyone.