Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What size mat board for 14x17?

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

What size mat board for 14x17?

I've got 8x20 and 14x17 Chamonix cameras coming in the next few weeks and even though I've sussed out what I like for *8x20, I'm having a hard time deciding on a pleasing mat size for 14x17. I tend to like a fair bit of breathing space but none of my mock-ups look right so far. Those of you that shoot 14x17, what do you use? Thanks!!

*I've decided on 15x28 for 8x20

Re: What size mat board for 14x17?

I have enlarged 4x5 to about 15x19...I found 24x28 to be a good size for those. The "standard" size of 22x28 worked with the verticals, but not to my taste with hortizontals at all.

Keeping to a common 28" side might be nice if showing 8x20 and 14x17 at the same time.

Vaughn

Thank you for your insightful reply, Vaughn. The difference between vertical and horizontal is a problem (a horizontal print that looks good on a certain mat size doesn't look good as a vertical and vice -versa) and I may have to use different size boards for each orientation! Unfortunately, Ansel never addressed this for prints larger than 16x20

For prints of the size you mention and my regular 11 X 14 and 16 X 20 I generally leave 4 inches of over mat around the edge. But that is not consistently done. I test frame using four strips of mat of various sizes prior to final matting. For me the subject matter in the print tends to drive the width of the overmat framing and to some extent the type of frame itself.

Nate Potter

Jim Ewins

Unless you always shoot to fill the frame, let the final cropped image tell. There is a place in the image that is probably the subject and a matt should not compete for the eye.

Richard -- that is why I went with 24x28...it works well with both vert and hort. I am also willing to compromise on the "perfect" mat size to keep framing consistant within multiple prints on the wall. Too much variation in frame size can work against the show as a whole -- which can be as important as the presentation of the single photograph.

Also I am cheap. By going 12x16 (for 4x10 and 5x7), 16x20 (for 8x10), 20x24 (for 12x16), and 24x28 (for 16x20), I can buy sectional frames and mix and match since there are sides with the same measurements.

Vaughn

PS...to test matting ideas, I use graph paper and draw out possibilities.

22x25
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion

Quote Originally Posted by Kerik Kouklis View Post
    22x25
    LOL ...because after playing/mocking up some more, this is one of the ones I liked last night! Do you use this for both vertical and horizontals?

Good to hear from you Kerik! I'm planning on going to Dead Valley and Joshing You Tree in Feb. so I may send you a Postcard or a box of Tim'sİ doughnuts from within state...if I don't eat them all during the long drive there!...

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Richard -- that is why I went with 24x28...it works well with both vert and hort.
    Vaughn
    Thanks Vaughn, this is also a possibility for me. I'd certainly prefer to use one size for both!

-Richard

I think it all depends on the photo. Some look good bottom weighted while other could be better off standard mat or even stretched. I personally, as well as professional always suggest that you mat for each individual piece rather than try and find a one size fits all.