Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is less more when it comes to lenses?

Re: Is less more when it comes to lenses?

I find it odd when I read "I take only four lenses and four film holders..."

Yikes. That should be one lens and twelve holders!

More film, less lenses... sell those suckers and spend it on making photos?

What works for me is ... hold it ... who cares what works for me? What works for the OP is the question, and I can't answer that, and I don't think anyone else here can either.

How many lenses to carry, and how much film, and how much ... anything ... is dependent upon your goals and how you "see" and your most successful mode of working. Some folks need tons of film. Some folks shoot one carefully chosen frame. Other people's solutions could be a deterrent for you.

The answer may change from project to project or session to session. Some problems may work well with a minimal kit, and others may do best with a huge arsenal.

I suggest you stop listening to anyone else and start finding out what works for you. Find a vision. Find a project. Find a voice.

Best,

C

In general, I have found that more is more. In fact, I have found that economies of scale can be realized with more of everything. If I double my selection then my yields will quadruple and the quality of my images will greatly improve. This observation is based on real empirical data that has resulted in a slow and methodical movement towards more and not less.

80% of my images are well planned days or years before I actual take the photograph. I have found that for every composition there is an optimal place to stand and optimal format to use. The more lenses and formats I have to choose from the more likely I will be able to exploit an optimal composition. By severely restricting my options, I will have to move elsewhere, use a format that is less suitable, or in most cases, I simply will not be able to take the photograph. Under these conditions, the number and quality of images will be severely compromised.

Smile Re: Is less more when it comes to lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by CG View Post
    What works for me is ... hold it ... who cares what works for me? What works for the OP is the question, and I can't answer that, and I don't think anyone else here can either.

How many lenses to carry, and how much film, and how much ... anything ... is dependent upon your goals and how you "see" and your most successful mode of working. Some folks need tons of film. Some folks shoot one carefully chosen frame. Other people's solutions could be a deterrent for you.

The answer may change from project to project or session to session. Some problems may work well with a minimal kit, and others may do best with a huge arsenal.

I suggest you stop listening to anyone else and start finding out what works for you. Find a vision. Find a project. Find a voice.

Best,

C
    I have to agree with CG on this matter. I shoot multiple formats and have a different lens 'kit' for each of them. I do try to limit my lens selection to one lens bag mostly because I don't always like carrying all the gear very far. However, if I have gone to the trouble of going any distance from the car, I am glad that I have multiple lenses with me, especially if I haven't been to a place before.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Broadbent View Post
    Yes! It makes for clear thinking. If I carry an extra lens, it's a spare, with the same focal length.
    Brilliant! Thanks.

I recently woke up from a couple years of spending like a drunken sailor on gear (mostly lenses). I have way too many lenses! It is just paralyzing sometimes. I'm slowly selling off much of the excess gear now.

My working style developed over the years partly due to only owning one lens per format -- and those being a "normal" lens for each format. It is an excellent way to learn, but not the only way.

Having only one lens does not limit the number of possible images one can make during a day in the field, nor does have 6 lenses insure that one will come back with any worthwhile images.

Same thing with the number of film holders. Personally, I find having a limited number of holders encourages substantial pre-editing of the images I take. I spent 5.5 months in NZ photographing and exposed 75 4x5 negatives (no other camera). I had only 6 holders, so I was limited to the 12 negs until I could re-load. Since I got a solid 20 print portfolio from the trip, there are obviously many negs that I wonder why I bothered to click the shutter, let alone set up the camera!

On a similar trip, others might expose 300 to 1000 negatives to get a decent portfolio...whatever it takes!

Vaughn

Do what you want to do.

Photography is not a fenced-in trail. This is a hobby for most of us. Most of us enjoy tinkering as much as we do taking photos. For many experimenting with lenses/cameras/film/paper/developer is as much of a creative outlet as shooting film.

If you enjoy collecting lenses and toying with them, then by all means do so. If you feel you dont need the extra weight/storage space/mental cycles, then by all means keep it simple.

If you find that you often can't walk closer or move farther back from a scene to make the photograph you want then carrying a bunch of different focal length lenses ranging from short to long makes sense to me (I realize there's a difference in perspective between walking closer to a subject and using a longer lens but for me that usually isn't important) . I never owned more than four lenses for 4x5 and 3 for 8x10. But many fine photographers only carry one or two lenses. John Sexton, for example, had only one lens - a 210mm - for many years but that was a matter of economics, not aesthetics When he could afford more lenses he bought them.

My own belief is that people who own 10, 15, 20 or more lenses for a single format are kidding themselves if they think that really results in better photographs but if they think it does, or if they just like owning a lot of different lenses, that's fine with me.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

"My own belief is that people who own 10, 15, 20 or more lenses for a single format are kidding themselves if they think that really results in better photographs but if they think it does, or if they just like owning a lot of different lenses, that's fine with me."

People around here are pretty humble in respect to their art. I haven't heard anyone claim their photographs were any better than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Willard View Post
    In general, I have found that more is more. In fact, I have found that economies of scale can be realized with more of everything. If I double my selection then my yields will quadruple
    You sound like you are hunting quail.

In general I think it is nice to have a good selection of lenses if you aren't immobilized by weight and bulk and you know how to use your equipment. It's a pretty simple equation, IMO. Take only what you need to work with your subject.

Having a compact kit simplifies things for me. Generally I carry 3 to 4 lenses for my 4x5kit.

I've tried the multiple format route (4x5, 5x7, and 8x10) and as I found out I preferred one over the others, 5x7. But for now I'm only shooting 4x5. There's not much I can't do with 4x5. And it's less bulky, less expensive and more enjoyable for me.

But everyone is different. For example, I saw some Christopher Burkett cibachromes last week and I was really blown away, so I definitely had 8x10 envy. But he also has a limited range of subject matter. I tend to shoot a lot of different subjects well away from my vehicle. I don't think Chris lugs his C1 very far from his ride.

As for lenses for example, if one shoots a lot of interiors then it's a good bet one will have a much greater need for a good selection shorter focal lengths.

As others have said your question has to be answered by one's personal needs or objectives. There isn't a single answer for everyone.

As an experienced photographer you should know what tools you need without being concerned about others shoot with.

But I always love to buy and try new equipment.

Good luck,

Don Bryant