Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is less more when it comes to lenses?

Downstairs

Re: Is less more when it comes to lenses?

Dewdney says "If you use ONE LENS for long enough - you start to develop a vision or strategy around using that lens with maxmum effectiveness."
    Right on. The same goes for using LF.

I guess I'm in the less is more camp as well. I use an 8x10 Deardorff and have the following lenses - 159 wolly, 240a fujinon, 14"a artar, and 450c fujinon. Having 4 evenly spaced lenses (6"-10"-14"-18") covers all bases. I can carry all 4 of them, 3 filters and rings, the camera, a lightweight darkcloth, pentax meter and 4 holders and my loupe in a covertible backpack/travel bag, that's carry on legal and weighs less than 35 lbs. As a bonus, I have room in the pack to spare for a few more holders as well. To me it's the best compromise.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Willard View Post
    There is a belief by many photographers that fewer lenses translates into more of something. I am not sure if that means more images, more creative images, or both. The logic being, by placing a self-imposed optical restriction on yourself, it will force you to become more resourceful and creative, and thus produce more images and better images.
    Stephen,

I, like you, carry several lenses when photographing. How many I carry will depend on where I'm heading and how long I will be out and about. If I'm working from the car, I will have 7 or 8 lenses ranging from 75 to 450. (I'm eagerly waiting for a 600 that should be here in a few days.) When I'm hiking all day, I might cut that down to 4 or 5 lenses depending where I'm photographing. I would hate to have to use only one lens. To me, that would be the equivilent of having to have "tunnel vision." You can only work and see in one way. At least that's the way it is for me. As I look over my work and see the images that I like and think that are good, the lenses for those images range from the wide to the long. So, I am definitely in the camp of having several lenses. Using only one or even two for me is way too restrictive. I just do not see that way.

I wonder if all you guys that shoot with only one or two lenses do much cropping to get you final images?

Jim

...and to some the "feeling" and "souls" of lenses are more important than different focal lengths. One day could be a Heliar day, and another day a Planar day, plasmat day, dialyt day, and so on... Nothing wrong with that either.

I prefer to think of the concept of “target confusion” as embodied in choice costs: having choices requires you to expend effort making the choice. I have 3 lenses for 8x10 use in the field. I tend to carry either all three or just the short and the long. Any more choice would be counterproductive for me—the advantages of a 240mm semi-wide would be squandered in wasted time and unnecessary extra compositions of the same subject.

Many photographers seem happy with a single lens for a format. This works when that lens suits the compositions they are most successful with; it appears to be an unsuccessful approach where the photographer uses an inappropriate optic for the composition—seeing a world full of nails because you only have a hammer.

I have a ton of lenses for the 35mm format, but I only carry a few with me at any time. At this point I prefer to plan what I’m going to shoot, and choose to give up flexibility for portability and getting what I intended to get.

tim810

I guess I am on the less is more mantra when it comes to lenses. The only reason I have more than one lens is because I have multiple formats that require different coverage. Although, if I could find a lens (that I can afford) that covers both 12x20 and 20x24 at the 500 focal length I would stick with one lens for the two formats. 8x10 I tend to gravitate twards a 240 and on my 4x5(which I rarely use) I use a 90mm.
    I tend to change formats due to subject matter panoramic/ standard. I think this is something that comes with practice and an individuals vision.

...Or perhaps I am right, and more of everything brings more and better images!

Quantity and Quality ?

His web site has at least as many photos as yours, maybe more.

What do Rodney's photos feel like, compared to yours ? This is subjective.

One lens is restrictive for me and my style of shooting, but sometimes carrying just one lens can be a creative tool. It can encourage you to have a different perspective on a subject.

I shoot 4x5 almost exclusively and carry a 75mm, 135mm, and a 240mm. I plan to add a 450mm fujinon C, sometimes 240mm just doesn't get me there. I tend to zoom with my feet whenever possible. On long hikes I typically scale it down to just the 135mm, but I almost always miss the 75mm.

I think it is more of a question of the right tool for the job.
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

I have boatloads of lenses but when I shoot I keep them all at home except one or on a rare occasion, two lenses. I decide the lens and format I am going to use and go shooting. I don't trek around with a bunch of lenses and cameras. I never 'miss' shots because of the 'wrong' equipment because photographs are MADE not FOUND and how can you 'miss' not making something?

I think that if you are happy with your tools, then there is no reason to change just because someone else uses different tools. Personally, I use only two lenses with my 4x5 and one on my 8x10 and find that I never seem to be wanting in the field. But, that's just how it works for me - it doesn't say anything about anyone but me...

- Randy