Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Is less more when it comes to lenses?

Re: Is less more when it comes to lenses?

After years of shooting, I found that there is less prep involved (and less possibility of forgetting something critical) if I have a standard stable that travel with the camera, plus an additional case of specialty lenses. That way I know I have a 90, 120, 150 and 240 always handy, and can use others if I want a special effect. The standard lenses give me, Wide, Normal and Long, with a useful semi-wide. They are smallish lenses (particularly the tiny 120), so do not add a lot of weight. The lenses in the additional case may vary from Petzvals to soft-focus, portrait lenses or various odd pieces that I am testing out.

If you are shooting commercial work, then you need various lenses, in order to "get it all in" in the space you have to place your camera. There is no other choice.

Even in the studio, small product shots require a long lens to get the camera back from the subject and to minimize distortion, and big product shots require a wider lens, as the studio is only "so" deep, and one can't back up forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyon View Post
    After years of shooting, I found that there is less prep involved (and less possibility of forgetting something critical) if I have a standard stable that travel with the camera, plus an additional case of specialty lenses. That way I know I have a 90, 120, 150 and 240 always handy, and can use others if I want a special effect. The standard lenses give me, Wide, Normal and Long, with a useful semi-wide. They are smallish lenses (particularly the tiny 120), so do not add a lot of weight. The lenses in the additional case may vary from Petzvals to soft-focus, portrait lenses or various odd pieces that I am testing out.
    What you are saying is that you have the tools you need to take photographs. That is all well and good but they are after all only tools. You are the photographer. The tools you have don't make you a better photographer. They might make it easier for you to take better photographs, but that is a different matter.

As the OP pointed out, there are some very very fine photographers who only use one or two lenses. Also many famous photographers in the past used pretty cr@ppy gear by todays standards. What makes them great was their vision, not the lenses or other (or lack of other) gear.

The arguement that one lens will make you a better photographer I believe has merit when you're learning. Too many variables complicates things---a stable of lenses, switching emulsions and chemistry with every whim is counter production IMHO when you're just starting out but OTOH if keeping things simplified also helps you develop your vision then staying the course with minimal equipment is viable.
    It's not the violin, but the fiddler that makes the instrument sing.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

If you're lugging your gear on your back, I would agree less is more!

Honestly I've never had a need for more than three focal lengths.