Thread: Free book listings

Free book listings

Hello. Focus Magazine is putting the finishing touches on our new online bookstore, www.photobookconnoisseur.net. We are still testing a few things and working out a couple of glitches, but we should be 100% up by the end of the week. We are looking for phoographers who have published books of photography in the past to sell their books off of the website.

Here's how it works:

Go to http://www.photobookconnoisseur.net/blankfeed.csv, fill out the parameters in the csv file and send the file to me. The link where people go to in order to purchase the book must be off of your website or a website that handles sales of the book. Our new online bookstore is only a gateway for collectors of fine books of photography to find your book. They must purchase it directly from you.

This is something we will be charging $250 a year for soon, but through the end of September, we will be giving this away to any and all photographers for free to help us gain more content in the bookstore.

Also, we are looking for additional book projects to publish by the end of this year. Our first one, Seaons of the Moon is already on press as we speak and will be ready to ship within 4 weeks. I hope to have at least 5 projects done by the end of the year so we can get a small booth next year at Photo LA and market these books directly to collectors and connoisseurs of high end photographic books. The printer we are using has upgraded his press and is now using a traditional/stachatto hybrid 400 linescreen heidelberg 40" press that delivers some of the highest quality reproductions available. More information about Seasons of the Moon will be available very soon. Many people had valid arguments against the way the previous site was designed, so we recently re-designed focuspublishing.net. Hope to work with some of you soon.

Ron Miller

Re: Free book listings

Why do I need to register just to brows your book listings? That turned me off right away.

Don Nelson

Take a look at www.photoeye.com for your book needs -- no account required.

Photoeye also sells rather than just provide a link to an actual seller.
    And they are crosslinked with Amazon - often giving you a choice of paying their price or getting it from amazon with a cheaper price.

Focus Magazine may become a good provider of links to books that are self published or that aren't carried by photoeye (of those that are visible on the main page, only "Seasons of the Moon" wasn't available in the Photoeye search.)

Quote Originally Posted by gevalia View Post
    Why do I need to register just to brows your book listings? That turned me off right away.
    Most websites of importance require you to register for an account before you browse their content. The information is kept confidential.

Quote Originally Posted by Don7x17 View Post
    Take a look at www.photoeye.com for your book needs -- no account required.

Photoeye also sells rather than just provide a link to an actual seller.
    And they are crosslinked with Amazon - often giving you a choice of paying their price or getting it from amazon with a cheaper price.

Focus Magazine may become a good provider of links to books that are self published or that aren't carried by photoeye (of those that are visible on the main page, only "Seasons of the Moon" wasn't available in the Photoeye search.)
    Photoeye is great - but to get your book listed there, you have to jump through lots of hoops. Our list is growing as we grow the bookstore, for instance, by the end of this week, we'll have all new books from National Geographic's Focal Press. By the time the shopping season hits, we hope to have dozens of book publishers list their books with us.

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by FocusMag View Post
    Most websites of importance require you to register for an account before you browse their content. The information is kept confidential.
    Hm... really? I've actually never been to a website before that required you to register before you could browse a good portion (or all) of the inventory. Maybe I just don't look at those types of websites? (or maybe I had, and just closed the site without thinking because I didn't want to register?) Registering before checkout and pricing, I could see that, but registering just to browse?

What kind of information about the books needs to be kept confidential? The titles? The authors? If it's details about the books that need to be kept confidential, maybe having at least the name and cover of the books visible to all users, and maybe the details on each book are kept only for the registered users? I'm not trying to knock your way of business, I'm actually just kind of curious as to why you've done it, because to me It seems a little counter-productive. I mean, the whole idea of a book is to get exposure and sell it, right? (or, that's my idea anyway) Or are these the type of books that ordinary people would not buy, only collectors? Or is the 'registered users only' just for the pre-launch testing of the website?
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Buck View Post
    Hm... really? I've actually never been to a website before that required you to register before you could browse the inventory. Maybe I just don't look at those types of websites? (or maybe I had, and just closed the site without thinking because I didn't want to register?) Registering before checkout and pricing, I could see that, but registering just to browse?

What kind of information about the books needs to be kept confidential? I'm not trying to knock your way of business, I'm actually just kind of curious.
    There's nothing "confidential" about the books. We just like to know who's browsing our website. What's kept confidential are the people who register.

3d Visual Effects artist

hm... ok
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Buck View Post
    hm... ok
    so many topic can see your reply, i know your aim