Thread: Betterlight Alternatives

Betterlight Alternatives

I shoot 8x10 and I'm getting REALLY tired of driving an hour round trip to drop off my film, review it, have the place scan it, and then drive back to pick it up. It's getting really old.

I have been looking at the betterlight scanning backs and I like the concept very much. I don't much care for the company anymore, however.

What alternative manufacturers are there that offer something like this?

Thanks,
    J

Re: Betterlight Alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by duckarrowtypes View Post
    What alternative manufacturers are there that offer something like this?

Thanks,
    J
    Are you wanting a different 4x5 scanning back or just a high end digital camera?

Oops, I suppose that wasn't very clear. I am looking for an alternative digital back for a 4x5 (or larger?) camera. The scanning back technology is fine.

Hi:

To my knowledge, the only other company currently making scanning backs (excluding scientific cameras) is Kigamo.

www.kigamo.com

They are in Germany despite the name.

There's also Anagramm (www.anagramm.com) who seem to have a close relationship with Linhof. I've heard good reports but not used one. I think they are a smaller format than Betterlight but with similar resolution (Depending of course on the model you choose).

David Whistance

a more flexible (and cheaper) approach would be to find a top flight drum scanner on ebay. I've seen linotype-hell chromagraphs sell for absurdly low dollar amounts (a few thou - vs. the 100K+ price they sold for new). In outstanding condition too!

Seitz should have their scanning back out soon. Currently you can only get it with the 6x17 digital.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

You won't find any scanning back larger than 4x5, and then the scanning area is slightly smaller. You can often find used scanning backs for reasonable prices. Scanning backs, by their nature require constant light during the scanning process, which can take several minutes, so really only suitable for still life, and require special power supplies for location work without 110v power. Any motion in trees will blur image. I have a scanning back, and use it in my studio for photography of artworks (paintings). If your photography fits within a scanning backs strengths, then they are a fine way to go. Their strengths are studio, still life shots. I still prefer and use film for most of my personal and commercial work.