Thread: LF camera store in Montana

LF camera store in Montana

A few years ago my sister was visiting colleges in Montana and reported back to me about a camera store in Bozeman, Montana. Supposedly, the camera store had s ome pretty impressive LF cameras on display. Does anybody know anything about t his place? I'd like to know it's name and how to contact the store. Thanks!

-Dave Munson

I think I have shopped there before. As I recall, it name is an f- stop... I think its f-11 (but could be f-8 or f-16).

Thanks for the tip. I did a little snooping and found it: F-11 Photographic Supplies (www.f11photo.com). Unfortunately, it does not appear that they deal in large format equipment. Maybe it was a different store or maybe they just don't list LF stuff on their website. I'll have to do a little more research. Thanks again.

-Dave Munson

Dave: If you find another LF store in Montana, please let me know. Bozeman is a strange combination of old west and California chic. In one hour I went from one posh bookstore, where the patrons were discussing their days with naturalists in Yellowstone studying the reintroduction of wolves, to an old used bookstore across the street where the patrons were discussing what type of gun was best used to shoot wolves!

Gentlemen, I have recently moved into Bozeman, and the store(s) that you are looking for are called: Bozeman Camera Repair, 1-800- 944-2139. These are the guys that have the LF equipment in the front window. (I was there this weekend.) The other store, next door, is indeed called "f11 photographic supplies" 406 586-3281. f11 doesn't really carry LF equipment per se, but they certainly have lots of photo enlargement supplies and books. Bozeman Camera Repair has several used LF cameras in the front window, and some accessories in the display cases. Let me know if you need any more info. I'm always in need of an excuse to go into the camera shops!

I have been in Bozeman 6 times in the last few years. I go to the area for vacation. I always go to this camera store. The store does not carry any LF equipment. There is a camera repair facility next store that does have some used equipment for sale. Among this gear is some LF stuff. The store itself is well stocked and has a darkroom department. The people are very nice and knowledgable. The only problem is that the all the prices are EXTREMELY high. This is offset a little by the lack of sales tax in Montana. It is a great place to pick up film, get a repair done, or buy something you need. However, I would buy any "bigger ticket" items at home.

For what it's worth, there's a used camera place in Billings called "Cameras" (welcome to Montana, where marketing ain't exactly our strong suit). The phone number is 406.259.1776, and - though the selection isn't outstanding - the guys who run the place know their business. Like any other used-gear place, as long as you don't need anything that day, you could do a hell of a lot worse. They don't repair the gear, but it's hell for cheap.