Thread: Pinhole camera design for 14"x14" x-ray copy film

Pinhole camera design for 14"x14" x-ray copy film

I have got 14"x14" x-ray copy film (AGFA Curix duplicating film) and I thought it's not so much meaning to cut it small to LF cameras, as I learned that its ISO is like print paper (thanks to Peter K).

Instead, I plan to make a pinhole camera for full size of 14"x14" for contact print. I like the size and square format of the film very much.

Now the question is: I remember an early camera design that sheet film stacks are put on the camera back and after exposure one sheet of film is dropped to bottom of the camera for next exposure without having to open the camera in darkroom. I think I have to put black paper on the back of each film. However I can't figure out how to realize this, especially the mechanism which would make only one sheet (exposed) will fall down. I googled to find any schematic that I have seen years ago, but in vain.

I think film flatness is not an issue because it's pinhole, furthermore this film is very thick and rigid by itself and I will back it up with black paper.

Re: Pinhole camera design for 14"x14" x-ray copy film

You may be thinking of the Falling Plate cameras. I don't recall ever running across any reference to that design that used sheet film. There has to be a solution, though I can't offer an answer. I keep thinking about having a dark bag attached to the camera. Something like how the Graflex bag magazines worked. ?????????????

Oh, yes, falling plate is the right term and I found some clues by googling.
    But the dark bag attached to the camera is a great idea!

Thanks, Glenn!

check with "JoeVanCleave" over at f295.org. he is the master at paper negs and he has made many falling plate cameras. he can help for sure.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by butterflydream View Post
    Instead, I plan to make a pinhole camera for full size of 14"x14" for contact print. I like the size and square format of the film very much.
    With x-ray copy film you will need reversal-paper to make positive contact-prints, because this film works positive if developed in normal sw-developer.

Peter,
    thank very much for important information! I didn't know that it was positive film in normal BW process, I thought it was reversal by neg to neg.

Eddie,
    he has already given me extensive infos. Thanks!

If you can get Ultra-Sound film or Nuclear Medicine film it will have an effective ISO of 200 or so. It will run through an automatic X-Ray processor, if you have access to one...and it will be 8x10.

Let us know how the 14x14 pinhole works out, sounds neat.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!