Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Super XX film

Super XX film

What's the closest film out there to the old Kodak Super XX?

Re: Super XX film

The old Kodak Super XX, if you can find it. There are many good films out there, but nothing quite like Super XX.

Quote Originally Posted by Turner Reich View Post
    What's the closest film out there to the old Kodak Super XX?
    Without question the closest sheet film to Super XX is T Max 400.

Super XX had the ability to linearly increase usable film density and developed in pyro makes contact prints that are to die for. That said it was really not a "sharp" film and can only be enlarged to a certain point.

T Max 400 also builds usable film density to the moon but is much sharper and has the best reciprocity properties I have ever experienced in any film. Additionally, I have seen it produce absolutely marvelous tonality when printed on silver papers and Azo.

I would also point out that people that have gained their experience with T Max films using T Max 100 and did not find it appealing must realize that T Max 400 is not even close to T Max 100. T Max 100 is highly sensitive to developer agitation and temprature prefering the JOBO rotary process. T Max 400 is considerably foregiving to these variables and can be souped in a myriad of developers with tremendous success.

Now that T Max 400 is being offered in ULF sizes and Kodak actually just finished improving the grains structure of this film to make it even a better film kicks T Max 400 to the level of the most advanced sheet film in the market today with impeccable quality control. I hope like hell that it continues to be offered long into the future.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 4-Sep-2008 at 07:28. Reason: typo

can someone remind me what the code notches are on super xx?? I'll try to dig up some old negs and post... we should have a super-xx only picture post... or is that dumb?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Bergger often said that their 200 ASA film was just like Super-XX, but after using some of it I'm not exactly convinced that there is any real substitute.

Based on M. Cadillac's comments I'm tempted to buy some T-Max400. I didn't like the T-Max 100 and never tried any of the other T-grain films.

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    T Max 400 is considerably foregiving to these variables and can be souped in a myriad of developers with tremendous success.
    Cheers!
    Michael, could you offer an example (or two) of developer (PMK?) and time for Azo and Pt?

-Richard

Quote Originally Posted by JW Dewdney View Post
    can someone remind me what the code notches are on super xx?? I'll try to dig up some old negs and post... we should have a super-xx only picture post... or is that dumb?
    The notch code is Two V's .
    My three boxes of 4x5 in the freezer are the last for me so I use it sparingly.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Bergger often said that their 200 ASA film was just like Super-XX, but after using some of it I'm not exactly convinced that there is any real substitute.

Based on M. Cadillac's comments I'm tempted to buy some T-Max400. I didn't like the T-Max 100 and never tried any of the other T-grain films.
    Like many I purchased some of the Bergger 200 film after reading a same View Camera article written by Gordon Hutchings a number of years ago where Gordon stated that this film was comparable to Super XX. When I plotted it up and really looked at the data (density vs exposure or commonly called the HD curve) I understood the situation more clearly. What Gordon was stating in between the lines was that when one is printing silver (Density range of about 1.0 +/-) and staying within reason of normal development the center part of the Bergger 200 film curve is in fact a nice straight line. OK great.

However, when one needs to develop for Azo grade 2 (Density range of 1.65) or one of the alt processes that have even higher density range requirements OR one needs to increase development for a N+ scene it clearly becomes evident that Bergger 200 experiences a "topping out" of the films ability to attain usable density. It looks like the top portion of a capital "S". HP5 exhibits similar characteristics whereas FP4+ does not. I am simply stating my experience with these films and what I have learned in using them - nothing more.

T Max 400 builds usable film density to the moon and as I stated earlier, the reciprocity correction does not kick in until about a 2 second exposure. Some exposures I can use nearly the full stated 400 film speed with with LF and particularly ULF is an answer to a photographers prayer. Most alt process users already are familiar with what this film can deliver and many others are discovering its unique properties to make marvelous images. It is not the least expensive sheet film available but I know that the quality control is impeccable so in the balance it works for me.

As far as developers I know people that have used it with Xtol, TMax RS, D76 and many variations of these as well as pyrocat with regular dilutions and stand and semi stand developed. I have seen prints made with T Max 400 and Harvey's 777 on Azo that blew my mind they were so excellent and pyro works well with it as well.

I am sure that others will contribute their experiences with this film as well.

Bottom line is that I believe that we should all use the best materials available that we can afford and strive to make the best prints possible. T Max 400 is still available in 10 sheet boxes in 8x10 before Kodak goes back to 25 sheet boxes later this year and 4x5 is a regular stock item.

How fortunate we all are to have this many great choices in the analog world that was supposed to have been dead and buried a long time ago. And then to have access to an even higher quality silver chloride printing paper is to good to be true.

Cheers!

Re: Super XX film/ Harvey's 777

Michael,

Commercially speaking, is anyone out there packaging Harvey's 777, other than (name escapes me) one in Kentucky that sells the basic chemicals to make the formula?

Thanks,

BILL

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    The notch code is Two V's .
    My three boxes of 4x5 in the freezer are the last for me so I use it sparingly.
    I recently experienced first hand Michael Smith print with some Super XX negatives that exhibited at least 0.5 units of FB+F and from which he made the most marvelous prints from. To look at the unexposed film edges and seeing that nasty fog my first reaction was Oh Crap this is NOT going to be very good. Then the lights came on for print inspection and I about fell over experiencing such print quality.

Here is the most critical component of this entire discussion.

The ability of Super XX to continue to build usable film density carrying the fog with it tells me that if you are going to store sheet film long term frozen you better make damn sure that the unavoidable fog that will come as a function of time will not be an issue. Films that experience density "top out" will not be as capable of dealing with increased FB+F as does Super XX. My feeling is that since T Max 400 also builds density to the moon it will be as capable as Super XX of accepting considerable fog and still be very proficient at making quality prints with it. As far as I am concerned it is like buying insurance.

Think about it.....

Cheers!