Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lodima Fine Art Paper

Re: Lodima Fine Art Paper

Just bought my box.

In the old days, Azo blew everything else away in my paper/developer tests. Lodima deserves our support, because I suspect it's THAT good!

Order up people!
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    Just bought my box.

In the old days, Azo blew everything else away in my paper/developer tests. Lodima deserves our support, because I suspect it's THAT good!

Order up people!
    I was very fortunate to have seen the comparison prints in person and the new paper was visually stunning as compared to the print on the old Azo which is by itself a wonderful print. Anyone that knows Michael and Paula know that they are both highly demanding with their standards and would not accept let alone align their reputation with anything that did not meet and exceed their expectations.

But the feel of a double weight paper and marvelous long tonal scale exhibited with this new paper was a very unique experience. All of the Azo I have used was single weight and this paper was not as delicate to my feel. I have been looking forward to this possible announcement for a very long time and am pleased as punch that it is all come together. I cannot wait for folks to print with this paper and experience this product for themselves and the major product run that will be completed late this year. The only remaining variable is this cycle is the consumers that need to express their interest in the form of purchasing it.

Cheers!

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Michael K.;

Any idea of who/where in Europe this is being produced?
    Do you (or anyone else!) remember Neogaz? I think I may have had the last box of that paper years ago...Wish that was still available but I think that that involved Cadmium in some nonecological-friendly way...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    Michael K.;

Any idea of who/where in Europe this is being produced?
    Do you (or anyone else!) remember Neogaz? I think I may have had the last box of that paper years ago...Wish that was still available but I think that that involved Cadmium in some nonecological-friendly way...
    I do not know where this paper is being produced and quite honestly once I saw the test print it was the last thing on my mind. One piece of information I know that was part of this long journey is that the very old formulas for Azo and other silver chloride papers (most manufacturers had such a formula in house at some point) used materials that simply are no longer available and the emulsion engineers that developed this paper had to do so from square one with modern materials. Michael and Paula were very critical about their test procedures and what they needed in this paper and it is a modern miracle that the stars aligned and it all came together. The long time between the loss of Azo and the announcement is really not that long when you consider how long it normally takes ANY product that comes off of the design table to get to the consumer.

This is the most significant independent driven photographic success in a very very long time. I am cleaning up the basement for a third large chest freezer to store this marvelous paper.

I placed my order.... Fantastic.....

Stefano
    Analog is Rock!!!! Digital is slow
    My site

There were probably chloride papers that had cadmium in them at some point, but I suspect the biggest difference between modern materials and what was used to make Azo and other chloride papers a hundred years ago would be active gelatins that came in various grades that no longer exist. Ron Mowrey has made some posts on this topic on APUG.org, suggesting that virtually all silver gelatin emulsion formulas from older sources can't be taken verbatim for this reason.

Many thanks for everyone's interest. Overseas and Canadian orders can now be made online. The shipping charge may not be 100% accurate. We need to add a few dollars for handling, buying the shipping box, etc. But overseas orders can be entered.

Michael A. Smith

I am interested in this new paper but I was wondering. How is it developed, or actually in what. Can it only be developed in Amidol or do other developers work. Since Brilliant left the stage I have been trying various VC papers with mixed resuls and none that I am happy with.

Me too. No idea what to do with it yet, but I'll figure it out by the time it gets here (hopefully)... Bare bulb and no filtration... righto!

Other developers work, but they don't all give you the tonal range that amidol does (though Ansco 130 is pretty close), and none of them give you as much control over contrast using a waterbath. Waterbath control is particularly handy with graded paper.