Thread: Dear Adobe

3d Visual Effects artist

Re: Dear Adobe

51. make a Linux build!!
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

CS4 is coming out 23 September . . . I guess that is too late for that list.

Yep, all true.

CS4 will need its own list, I'm sure.

Thanks, Frank.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I think #1 is spot on. I get so frustrated with getting a pop-up window for Acrobat updates every time I open at a PDF. They should have stopped updating with version 1.0. It doesn't need to do much else other than display the darn file.

Now that I have taken time to read the entire list, all 50 are spot on. Although they should consolidate the list to reduce all the redundancy, and make room for a few more suggestions.

I guess I don't see a problem with Adobe and find the list just a rant against them. They're good at their products and marketing, and I don't see they're losing customers even if the prices seem unusually high. Once you buy a package, the prices aren't that bad to upgrade and you get free updates.

As for the pop ups windows, you don't mind all the e-mail spams and ads on Web pages but mind Adobe's for Acrobat? Buy it and you can turn them off for specified periods. I don't get them, so I don't see a problem.

I'm not defending them, only I don't see a problem with them. If you don't like them, don't buy or use their product. Oh, I forgot, PDF is a standard format and the reader is free, only you have to put with the annoying window that all software packages have. If you update, they go away.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

I think Adobe is pretty good overall too (I used to think Photoshop was the most bug free and stable app available; The new features in CS3 were great, but they slipped a bit in the QC/QA area). But the list is pretty accurate too. All apps can be improved, so I did not see the list as a rant; I actually think it is pretty humorous.

And I did buy Adobe Acrobat. But I still get "install our new version of reader" waaaay more often than I should. It already does what it needs to do. Stop adding features. I just want the read a PDF. I don't want to stop and install a new update. And Acrobat Reader should be able to launch much quicker than it does. If they kept the functionality to a minimum it would be a much leaner app to load.

The other comments about having to close Firefox to install an update to Firefox are very true as well. WTF?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Knowles View Post
    I guess I don't see a problem with Adobe and find the list just a rant against them. They're good at their products and marketing, and I don't see they're losing customers even if the prices seem unusually high. Once you buy a package, the prices aren't that bad to upgrade and you get free updates.

As for the pop ups windows, you don't mind all the e-mail spams and ads on Web pages but mind Adobe's for Acrobat? Buy it and you can turn them off for specified periods. I don't get them, so I don't see a problem.

I'm not defending them, only I don't see a problem with them. If you don't like them, don't buy or use their product. Oh, I forgot, PDF is a standard format and the reader is free, only you have to put with the annoying window that all software packages have. If you update, they go away.

Acrobat takes 30 seconds to launch, Preview takes 1 second at most.

Recently I was reading some old photo books off archive.org. Using the Foxit reader (which does open and load faster) just wasn't as good as Adobe. I was kind of surprised because Foxit is fine for most general viewing, but when it came to layout and readability adobe was much better.