Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depth of Field calculation in the field

Depth of Field calculation in the field

I have been carrying depth of field tables in my camera bag and it is a bit of a pain. Is there a program out there for a palm pilot or similar device that I could use for different lenses and formats?

The Rodenstock DOF/Schempflug calculator takes up far less space then a Palm, uses no batteries and calculates DOF for all formats from 35mm to 8x10 with inclined or level camera positions. Also supplies bellows extensions when needed.

Don -

DOF Master does what you want. Surf to www.dofmaster.com.

Also, there is Bob Wheeler's Vade Mecum - greater capability, but also more complex.

Don,

I use a very convenient practical tool I made myself for my Toyo View. From an old Linhof depth-of-field calculator I copied the intervals, measured in mm, within which I would find acceptable sharpness if the lens was focused in the middle. I put these intervals, for several lens stops (f 22, f32, f45, f64) on a piece of paper.

When taking the picture, I first align the focusing sled flush with the front end of the camera and lock the focus. I then slide the lens standard on the sled until the far part of the picture away is rendered sharp and lock it. I then unlock the sled and focus it until the near part of the picture is rendered sharp. The sled will have moved forward a couple of mm. I then read off the distance it has moved on my piece of paper. The latter shows me which f-stop would render the whole distance sharp, if I place the sled in the middle of the distance. Voilą!!!

Eric Woodbury

Check out this very web site for info:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/fstop.html

Especially, read the article referenced at the bottom written by Paul Hansma.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

http://tangentsoft.net/fcalc/

The Expo/Dev program developed by Phil Davis and distributed through the View Camera store will do DOF, and a lot more. It is available for Palm operting systems and will soon be available for some versions of pocket PCs.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I'll second the recommendation of the Rodenstock DOF/Schempflug calculator for the following reasons:

1. Cheap, ~$25 USD.

2. It does both DOF and tilt calculations (in combination) with a process that's easy to understand. In other words, it's taught me something. I've learned enough by working through the tool that I can make pretty good judgements if I've forgotten it. Unlike a program which will take my input and spit out a recommendation from the other end of a mathmatical black box.

3. It hangs from a string. I've used palm apps in the field, and my problem's been that with a lightmeter, polaroid back, loupe, millimeter scale, levels, etc, there was enough juggling that I'd use the Plam once, then try to get it out of the way. With this, I can easily check and recheck as I adjust camera position as I loop it over a tripod knob with my loupe. There's a scale, instructions, and various adjustments all in one package.

-Ted

Having tried using Palm-based apps in the field, I now use the Rodenstock DOF/Scheimflug calculator wheel. It can be put on a lanyard, and hung around the neck. That way, it blends in with the light meter and the similarly-corded British Webley revolver, so essential for field work. ;-)

And if your subject gets pissy, you can plug it.