Thread: Tim from Bangkok

Tim from Bangkok

Hello. I guess I can post now, since my new (old) Ikeda Anba 4x5 arrived in the post today. Its a present from my wife for my 50th birthday (but you can guess who chose it). I still don't have a lens or any film holders, and have no idea how to operate the camera, but at least I'm on the road.

Why LF? Over the years I've used many cameras, some more automatic than others, but I finally realized that virtually all of my favorite photos were make with either my old OM-1, or my Olympus XA (rangefinder). I don't think there is anything particular about manual cameras that made them better, I think they forced me to slow down and think about the image. Also, I know both cameras intimately, and had a good sense of their capabilities. All that got me interested in the ultimate in manual cameras, but since I live in Bangkok, and there is no real LF community here, its been quite difficult to learn much. Nevertheless, I will persevere, ask questions, and hopefully get a chance to get back to the US at Christmas and meet people who actually understand this stuff.

Best, Tim

Re: Tim from Bangkok

Hi Tiim,

Welcome to the LF forum... and large format photography.

There's quite a few folks here who got into LF photography to "slow things down" and that's exactly what happens. Personally, I find it's much more contemplative in use.

I'd suggest that you do a search for some reading materials here on the forum. Look at the books by Steve Simmons, Jim Stone, and Jack Dykinga. Another source of great information can be found in the articles section of this forum. Also, check out the View Camera website for free articles. All of these sources are informative and will give you the necessary steps to get started.

Good luck... and have fun with it!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

hi tim,

welcome. i wish i was in BKK with you! i have spent years of my life in thailand......can speak and almost read....well words like chang and chemist! (they kind of go together huh?)

as you probably know already china town is a great place for all kinds of photo gear. one guy had some forte B&W paper so maybe he could get you some LF film. i shot mostly medium format while i was there.

when you get back to the states look me up. i am in the NYC area.

i sure miss the food there.......

PM sent
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Welcome, Tim.

If you haven't discovered it yet, the LF Home Page here (link in blue navigation bar) has lots of helpful information for getting started.

Hi Tim. You're in a great place for photography. If you haven't yet had the chance, get to Angkor Wat, and Bagan, not to be missed.

There is a film based photo group there, many shoot LF:

http://www.bwthai.org/blog/

Thanks a lot for the replies and nice welcome. I met a Thai fellow today that shoots LF, and he will introduce me to the local folks.

Thanks Ron. I lived in Cambodia for five years, and for those who don't know it, Angkor Wat is the single most photogenic place I have ever been. I have hundreds of B&W 35mm images I shot there, and look forward to returning with the Anba.

Best, Tim

Scott Davis

Tim- welcome to the forum. Double-check before you go to Angkor with the 4x5, as it is my understanding the Cambodians are now charging a rather steep "professional photography" permit fee ($200/ day or thereabouts) to shoot large format at Angkor.