Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: v900?

v900?

Sorry for posting this in the large format forum, but you people seem to know whole lot about scanners. I am looking to purchase a scanner for 6x7 and 35mm formats. I am looking for something capable of quality print 8-10 times enlargement of 6x7 transparenices. Over and over again I end up at the exceptionally pricey coolscan 9000 and its pricey accessories. Seems like there is no viable alternative unless I am willing to venture into the treacherous land of used drumscanners and used pro flatbeds. The epson v700/750 looks to be a very fine scanner but not quite up to the enlargement capacity I am after. So I stumbled across this information about an upcoming v900:

http://www.ausmedia.com.au/Epson_V900_Photo_Scanner.htm

Is this likely to be happening or is just a silly rumour? What would you expect from a possible update to the current top of the line epson scanner? Would it be wise to wait until Photokina before I possibly pay a lot of money for a coolscan 9000? Seems to me there is still a market to justify further evolvement of non-pro flatbed scanners. What's your take on this? I would really prefer a good flatbed as it is a whole lot more convenient in use imo. I am most grateful for any advice!

Re: v900?

Quote Originally Posted by bagdad child View Post
    The epson v700/750 looks to be a very fine scanner but not quite up to the enlargement capacity I am after. So I stumbled across this information about an upcoming v900:

http://www.ausmedia.com.au/Epson_V900_Photo_Scanner.htm
    Whatever the title for the article, the picture is that of a V700. Methinks this is either a spoof or a spelling mistake.

As for the V700, I would not have any problems getting decent 10x enlargements, provided I use the Better Scanning film holders.

What type of film will you mainly be scanning? If it's fairly grainy, the flat bed with good holders or wet mounting might be your best option at anywhere near that price point, although at 10 times enlargement, not everyone would be happy with the quality. It depends a lot on the type of pictures, how close the images will be viewed... The coolscan will do a great job with fine grained film, significantly better than the flatbed, but you will need to modify a carrier, buy a glass carrier...or something to keep the film flat.

I paid less for a used Nikon 8000 than the cost of the V750 new and the cost of scanscience's fluid mounting kit is less than the decent carrier from Nikon and can be used for both120and 35mm. Not saying not to look at the flatbed scanners but a used 8000 could be an affordable option. I already had access to a V750 for my large format negatives but it is nice to have a scanner at home as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bagdad child View Post
    Sorry for posting this in the large format forum, but you people seem to know whole lot about scanners. I am looking to purchase a scanner for 6x7 and 35mm formats. I am looking for something capable of quality print 8-10 times enlargement of 6x7 transparenices. Over and over again I end up at the exceptionally pricey coolscan 9000 and its pricey accessories. Seems like there is no viable alternative unless I am willing to venture into the treacherous land of used drumscanners and used pro flatbeds. The epson v700/750 looks to be a very fine scanner but not quite up to the enlargement capacity I am after. So I stumbled across this information about an upcoming v900:

I am most grateful for any advice!
    The Epson scanner is not in same the class as the Nikon. I think it would be a minimum given the enlargement. I would prefer a drum scanner for this. Nikon's are cheap, by comparison to the top scanners. Of course, it depends greatly on your aesthetic, and the level of quality you want.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

there may be something to it; a new model epson scanner that is.

i read the other day, i think it was that Mr Fisher guy (or on a forum that he is on frequently) that sells the holders for the dry or wet mount film formats.

anyway i read a post (dated around jan or feb) that said a new model (no model number was mentioned) to replace the V700 was released in Japan, and he said it was expected to be released in the US the following month--which obviously didnt occure.

the v700 is probably due for an upgrade--been out for a couple of years i think hasnt it. but whether (if and when it does arrive) it is much different to the v700 i wouldnt know...epson from what i have read or seen have only done small improvents as the models have progressed

Andrew

While it still wouldn't be close to being in any sort of league as drum scanner or even a dedicated film scanner, if Epson did come out with a better build quality flatbed/transparency scanner with focusing capability, better film holders, (one for 8x10!), and a small gain in performance (D-max not resolution), it could probably be the last scanner most of need for a good long time.

(And if Nikon made a Coolscan 9000 that could handle 4x5... that would really be something!)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    if Epson did come out with a better build quality flatbed/transparency scanner with focusing capability, better film holders, (one for 8x10!),
    to be able to take a holder for 8x10 sounds good to me! or whole plate even..

i nearly bought a v700 the other day but thought perhaps i should wait and see if it turnes up--particularly because or the 8x10 and whole plate thingy--hoping the (possble) new model can do it
    cheers
    Andrew

the company that this announcement comes from is a reputable Australian company, I would have no reason to think that the announcement is a hoax. Epson has recently made two new product announcements in Australia. Which were both seen at distributors websites before the official announcements came.

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Metcalf View Post
    the company that this announcement comes from is a reputable Australian company, I would have no reason to think that the announcement is a hoax. Epson has recently made two new product announcements in Australia. Which were both seen at distributors websites before the official announcements came.
    My assertion is based on the fact that, if you zoom in on the image of the "new" scanner, you can clearly see the V700 product name.