Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: epson 2400 paper feed problems

epson 2400 paper feed problems

I have tried every way to feed paper into Epson 2400, its been a problem from day one, tried loading from the back,front and top, in the last few days out of 50 atempts it took paper once, the are lots of threads about this on various forums, I tried every thing.
    I am now concidering another printer, I print B&W only any suggestions, before I take sledge hammer to 2400.
    Last edited by terry_5379; 31-Aug-2008 at 00:45. Reason: Missed a word

Re: epson 2400 paper feed problems

Quote Originally Posted by terry_5379 View Post
    I have tried every way to feed paper into Epson 2400, its been a problem from day one, tried loading from the back,front and top, in the last few days out of 50 atempts it took paper once, the are lots of threads about this on various forums, I tried every thing.
    I am now concidering another printer, I print B&W only any suggestions, before I take sledge hammer to 2400.
    Clearly, you must be doing something wrong, seeing as most folks simply put the paper into the top and it works.

What paper are you using? Weight? Stiffness?

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    Clearly, you must be doing something wrong, seeing as most folks simply put the paper into the top and it works.

What paper are you using? Weight? Stiffness?
    I have had three other people try to get this printer to feed paper, so I could eliminate user error on my part.
    The paper I am using is Hahnemuhle photo rag 188gm, I have also tried other papers with the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by terry_5379 View Post
    I have had three other people try to get this printer to feed paper, so I could eliminate user error on my part.
    The paper I am using is Hahnemuhle photo rag 188gm, I have also tried other papers with the same problem.
    Are you using the "main" top feed or have you also tried the single sheet feed?

Please don't think I am being patronising, just going through the stupid questions first

At 188 gsm, I would expect the paper to feed quite satisfactorily through the default top feed.

If you have tried the single sheet hopper on the back, are you ensuring that the sheet is taken into the printer correctly before printing, and not just dropping the paper into the hopper?

How long have you had the printer?

Did you ensure that all the packaging bits were removed?

If you are using the main feed hopper, are you using the Matte Sheet Support?

Have you tried the same paper in someone else's printer?

Could it be that you have a faulty printer?

Joanna

My 2400 has a number of "quirks." I cannot feed paper from the top "automatic" feeder. All my prints are done one at a time through the manual feeder. I have been able to use the Hahnemuhle roll paper and cut paper at 188 gm weight. I have found that the selection of paper type in the QTR gui is an important factor. I have found the flatness of the paper (especially at the corners) is also an important factor in getting the paper to feed correctly. Finally, it is imperative that you keep women, children and other sensitive types away from me when I am using my 2400 because the language I use when things don't go right could offend both mule skinners and sailors.

I don't know if the feeds are the same on the 2400 as on my 3800 but with the 3800 you use top auto feed for multiple sheets and the rear manual feed for single sheets such as most photographic papers (at least the three I use). The auto feed, which I use for the occasional letter, has always worked fine. However, the rear feed sometimes refuses to "grab" the paper. When that happens I just push lightly on the paper to sort of force the printer to grab it. It's a pain but only a very minor one. Once the paper is "grabbed" it feeds fine.

I used to constantly get a "skew error" message when manually feeding paper from the rear feed. Sometimes I'd have to load the paper 5 or 6 times before the "skew error" message quit appearing and I could make a print. Again, I don't know if the 2400 is the same as the 3800 but the 3800 has a window on the top front of the printer in which a menu can be displayed. I fixed the "skew error" message problem by opening the menu, going to "Printer Set Up," from there to "Paper Size Check," and turning paper size check off. I no longer get any skew errors and the paper feeds fine on the first try every time (subject to the minor pain mentioned above). I haven't seen any problems from turning paper size check off. If your 2400 has anything similar you might try it and see what happens.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thanks for the replys, I have tried everything which you all suggested, the only thing I have not tried is the matt paper support, the printer is 14 months old. Just tried matte paper support no joy, although it is for A3 paper, I only use A4 paper.
    Last edited by terry_5379; 1-Sep-2008 at 01:13. Reason: Addition

Forgot to mention I only use A4 paper, just tried the matte paper support that did not solve problem, I know its for use with A5 but anything is worth a try.

I have three questions for you, Terry.
    1. Have you tried to feed plain typing paper though the main feed?
    2. What OS are you working with (Vista, Leopard, ...)?
    3. Are you using the driver that came with your OS or the download from Epson's site?

I suspect that you've already answered these questions elsewhere.
    Bruce

The lint/dust from that Hahnemuhle paper dries out the rollers and they lose their grip. Have you tried applying the rubber rejuvenator to the rubber rollers? It is available for sale online and at places like Fry's.

Doug
    ---
    www.BetterScanning.com