Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rangefinder focusing different lenses of the same focal length

LJ Segil

Rangefinder focusing different lenses of the same focal length

I have a question about rangefinder focusing with LF lenses. I am getting my Technika cammed and calibrated for a 150mm lens. I have been told by one of our commercial authorities that I will only be able to use that particular cam to focus that particular lens and that it will not work to focus other lenses of 150mm focal length. The more I think (actually thinking is a poor word for the processes that occur in my mind) about this, the more confused I become. It seems to me that any 150mm lens should have the same focusing distance from the rear nodal point to the ground glass (one focal length or 150mm) when focused at infinity as any other lens of that focal length. Similarly, if I shoot at 1:1 reproduction ratio, all 150mm lenses ought to focus at twice that distance, or 300mm from the rear nodal point to the ground glass. If these two points are the same, it seems to me that most likely the relationship between the object distance and the image distance for any 150mm lens ought to be linear and superimposed, otherwise the focusing object/image distance relationships for different 150mm lenses would have to be some kind of awfully funky curves with a pair of surprisingly coincident points. Thus, it seems to me that a cam made for one 150mm lens ought to work with other lenses of the same focal length. The only difficulty that I can think (again that probably inaccurate verb) of is that the rear nodal point may differ between lenses, although within a single focal length I wouldn't think that it would differ by much, and the effect of differing rear nodal points would cause the most misfocusing at infinity when the image distance is least, and the effect would decrease as object distance decreased and image distance increased making the difference due to differing rear nodal points a smaller percentage of the image distance.
    So, does any of this make any sense? Can multiple lenses of the same focal length be used with the single cam, or would the error be too large at any distance? What other problems are there that I have not thought of (undoubtedly many)? I look forward to once more benefiting from the collective knowledge, expertise, and experience of the group.
    Thanks ahead of time,
    Larry

Re: Rangefinder focusing different lenses of the same focal length

The problem is that just because a lens is marked with a focal length of 150mm, doesn't mean that its focal length is actually 150mm. Actual focal lengths vary across different brands/models because of design differences, and within a given model because of sample variation.

Flange-to-film specifications can vary as well for a given focal length, but that can be accommodated by adjusting the infinity stops.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

The position of the rear nodal point does differ between lenses.

Go HERE and look up the data for Xenar, Symmar and Symmar-S, especially the flange focal distance and principal point separation.

Focal lengths are nominal. Actual focal length is, typically, within 5% of nominal. That's why everyone insists that RF cams are lens-specific. You might luck out and find two lenses of the same nominal and actual focal lengths, but the odds are against.

I've had 20 38/4.5 Biogons, all extracted from aerial cameras. These lenses were collimated to the camera by shims between the rear of the shutter and the camera body. The shims came in 0.01 mm steps. The lenses' focal lengths were measured to 0.1 mm; the range I saw was 38.3 - 38.8 mm. Their flange to film distances were measured to 0.01 mm. All measurements marked on the barrel, of course.

These lenses were made for by a first-class lens maker for an exacting military application. Even so, actual focal lengths differed from nominal (38.5 mm) by as much as 1%. And this brings up another point. The 38/4.5 Biogon's nominal, per Zeiss, focal length is actually 38.5 mm. Focal length as reported for marketing purposes isn't always nominal focal length, let alone actual.

So, LJ, if you want to change lenses, by all means test whether the old cam is right for the new lens but don't blindly assume that it will be.

Cheers,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    The position of the rear nodal point does differ between lenses.

Go HERE and look up the data for Xenar, Symmar and Symmar-S, especially the flange focal distance and principal point separation.
    Ole, I hope you didn't mean to say that with the lens focused at infinity the rear nodal point is not always exactly one focal length from the film.

But yes, of course the distance from the rear node to any other fixed point in/on the lens can vary from lens to lens of the same nominal focal length.

Cheers,

Dan

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Ole, I hope you didn't mean to say that with the lens focused at infinity the rear nodal point is not always exactly one focal length from the film.
    No, only that the position of the rear nodal point relative to the rear flange of the shutter varies. Which again means that the lens board position at infinity focus is different, unless you put shims between the board and the shutter, or have some kind of tunable lensboard positioning mechanism.

Sometimes you get lucky, but in general, as Ole and Dan have stated, you can't count on two lenses being the same, even if they are the same lens, because the refractive index of the glass may vary from sample to sample.

That said, if you have an unmatched cam for a lens of a certain focal length, it might not be perfect wide open, but it might be good enough stopped down one or two stops. I have a 65/8 Super-Angulon and a 135/5.6 Caltar II-N that I've tested with an unmatched cam on my 2x3" Tech V, and I wouldn't trust them at maximum aperture, but down one stop, they're right on.

LJ Segil

Oh well, I guess there is still no such thing as a free lunch (lens?).
    But thanks all for the great info and explanations. I guess I'll go stew in my naivate and ignorance a while longer. Or maybe I should quit trying this thinking stuff and make a photo instead.
    LJS

Larry,

It would be much easier if you simply called me at 800 735-4373 and get all of your questions answered or Marflex at 252-652-4401.

As I told you the other day on another site each cam is cut for a specific focal length. If you try to use that cut cam with another lens of the same focal length it will not focus correctly over the entire length of the cam. When people try to do this they then try to re-position the infinity stops to compensate but that still won't correct for the complete focusing range so they then try to fine tune the infinity stop position. The screws that hold the infinity stops in place are pointed to dig in and stay put on the chrome finished rails that they are mounted on. Moving them leaves pit marks that can not be removed.

Secondly the cam will not allow you to rangefinder focus at 1:2 or 1:1 magnification. It only works over a regular range from infinity to the minimum focus distance. The minimum focus distance is different for each focal length but no lens will be rangefinder coupled at close ranges. One reason for this, of course, is that lenses corrected for normal ranges of 1:10 or 1:20 are not the best performers at 1:1. That is the job of macro lenses. Macro lenses like the 120 or 180 Apo Macro Sironar could be rangefinder coupled as well but since these lenses are not good performers at Infinity or 1:10 or 1:20 they usually are not coupled.

Please call one of us if you still need further clarification. We will be open again on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    No, only that the position of the rear nodal point relative to the rear flange of the shutter varies. Which again means that the lens board position at infinity focus is different, unless you put shims between the board and the shutter, or have some kind of tunable lensboard positioning mechanism.
    Bed or infinity stops, Ole. But on many (all?) of the RF cameras that have them, they have to be adjusted for each lens that's to be used on the camera. Think, e.g., Speed Graphic.

David, its not only variation in the glass' properties from batch to batch of glass, there are also variations in elements' thickness, radii of curvature, and spacing from lens to lens within a batch of lenses. My 38 Biogons were from two batches (serial numbers seen were 49305xx, 4997891 - 4998087) and I had some whose serial numbers were one (1) apart. They weren't identical within batch. High precision doesn't mean perfect conformity to specifications.

About variations in the glass. Eric Beltrando once told me that Boyer measured the properties (refractive index, Abbe number) of each lot of glass on delivery, recomputed their lenses slightly for each lot of glass before making a new batch of elements.

Cheers,

Dan