Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feisol Users - Comments?

Re: Feisol Users - Comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare Berti View Post
    Purchased a CT3441SB from Kerry in August and used it on a three week trip to the UK. The tripod performed flawlessly, light, steady, quick to set up and best of all it fit in my carry on bag/camera bag.

Needless to say Kerry was great to deal with answering many questions on a suitable tripod to buy taking into consideration the cameras I planned on using for the trip.

Cesare Berrti
    Which sort of cameras did you use with the 3441? because that is seriously lightweight.

//Jan

Used a Mamiya 7 for B&W and a Nikon DSLR and medium teles during the trip.

Just finished shooting some 4x5's (TMY 400) with my Technika V without problems but I replaced the CB30 ball head with a larger head. While obviously not ideal, the combination would not do well in windy or difficult conditions, weight saving and portability were important considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare Berti View Post
    Used a Mamiya 7 for B&W and a Nikon DSLR and medium teles during the trip.

Just finished shooting some 4x5's (TMY 400) with my Technika V without problems but I replaced the CB30 ball head with a larger head. While obviously not ideal, the combination would not do well in windy or difficult conditions, weight saving and portability were important considerations.
    I have an Arcatech Z-ball head how well does it balance extended up to eye level with your Technika? I am concerned that it would wobble quite badly.

I am not mad enough to assume that the traveller tripod tripod would support my Toyo View-G but it sounds like it would be tough enough for my Hassey and my 5D (which is a bit on the heavy side with the battery grip and the RRS L plate.

//Jan

Quote Originally Posted by snip View Post
    I have an Arcatech Z-ball head how well does it balance extended up to eye level with your Technika? I am concerned that it would wobble quite badly.

I am not mad enough to assume that the traveller tripod tripod would support my Toyo View-G but it sounds like it would be tough enough for my Hassey and my 5D (which is a bit on the heavy side with the battery grip and the RRS L plate.

//Jan
    I know I'm talking to myself a bit here, but I have come to the conclusion that the Feisol traveller tripod outperforms the Gitzo 2330 by being lighter, folding up smaller and extending further, question remains, is it as stable?

Comments please.

Just returned from my trip to Yellowstone/Montana/Idaho last Saturday hauling all my gear in a granite gear (photobackpacker variant) with my Feisol 3472 (center collum removed) and Acratech GV2 head strapped on it, and it worked great. The 3472 seems like overkill, but with it's light wieght, it was not noticable on my back. And it was very steady for the shots I was taking on rough terrain such as steep slopes in Yellowstone and irregular lava flows in craters of the moon national monument. I was supporting both my Chamonix 45n and a Pentax 645. Being the 4 leg variant it compresses pretty nicely for fitting on the pack.
    Søren

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams-

Terence

Quote Originally Posted by snip View Post

//Jan
    I now have the 3441 and 3442.

The 3441 is fine for the Hassie so long as winds are calm, etc., and several folks even use them for 4x5.

The 3442 is only a little longer/heavier, but is much more stable, and it's working height with a ballhead is even better, especially for a 6'-2" person like myself. The 3441 shines with lighter cameras like the Mamiya 7 and 35mm cameras.

I can't comment on the stability with the Arca head, I picked a cheap ($80) knock off ball head imported or made by "Cameron". The head weighs just over a pound, 570 grams?, has about a 45mm diameter ball and adds 4 inches to the overall height. Balance at eye level (6 ft) was OK, at least the dozen or so negs I shot with this combination look sharp.

I agree with Terrence that the 3442 is the better choice for stability. It was my original choice but my first priority was size and weight. I wanted a tripod to fit in my camera bag/carry on bag, the 3441 was the compromise choice for. I will probably end up buying a second larger CF tripod for local car trips etc.

Just to clarify my last post, when I mention 6 ft that's my height not my eye level.

Terence

The problem with Feisol is that once you have one . . . you want one of each . . .

I also picked up a barely used 3371 from another person here, for my 8x10 and larger.

The 3441 with ballhead puts a Mamiya 7 at eye height for me using half the center post.

The 3442 with ballhead allows me to use Hasselblad WLF without the center column, and with the legs slightly less than fully extended.

The 3371 with a low-profile pan-tilt head lets use 8x10 at eye level with no center column.

The 3441 and 3442 are much less wobbly than my trusty Bogen 3001, despite being taller.

The 3371 compares very well with my Gitzo 1340, but at what feels like half the weight. I'd say it's just as rigid, but a little less stable in wind because of its light weight. If I'm going to carry one for more than a 1/2 mile, it'll be the Feisol.

The Feisol medium ballhead is a great bargain. Not quite equal to my Kirk, but well worth the money. It is obviously high quality, but slightly less "silky" in its movement than the Kirk. It's rigid and locks down easily. A huge improvement over my old Bogen medium ballhead.

Feisol has a levelling base available (FEISOL levelling base LB-7572). Does anyone know if this fits into Gitzo tripods (in my case a 1349)?