Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feisol Users - Comments?

Re: Feisol Users - Comments?

i have the CT-3342, very nice. it is one of the upgrades that allowed me to take my 4x5 on a 7 night backpacking trip. I can now stand up straight and look through the ground glass also.

Terence

I got the 3442 and the medium ball head, and I love it. Huge upgrade from my Manfrotto/Bogen. I use it for everything but the 8x10 and 8x20. I plan on getting the 3441, and maybe one of the big ones to replace my Gitzo panzer tripod.

I've had mine (3442) out a couple of times with a 4x10. Solid tripod although the light weight is deceiving. The jury is still out on the ballhead, though not on build, but more of a personal preference on having always used a 3 way.

Eric
    Last edited by eric mac; 30-Aug-2008 at 23:02. Reason: Mr Grammar
    Dad, why is the lens cap on?

I posted a thread about tripods a few weeks back, and while I did not buy a Feisol, I would not hesitate to do so.
    Kerry Thalmann of Really Big Cameras, emailed me all sorts of good advice and info about the tripods, spending a lot of time and effort to help me out. I would definitely give him my business.

My Feisol gets it first test in a few weeks. In practice sessions (you do practice, don't you?) the tripod sets up quickly and seems very solid for the weight. I think it will do nicely in the field.

I did get mine from Kerry, it arrived quickly and was packed well.

I picked up a 3472 this spring and I love it for backpacking. Its a bit bulky, but still so light I hardly notice it strapped to my backpack. I was using an old heavy Alluminum Gitzo head on it, but just recently went with an Acratech GV2 head that looks tiny on it, but works great. Its what I will be taking with me on my Yellowstone trip next week.
    Søren

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams-

Bought the 3471 from Kerry Thalmann a few months ago and could not be happier. Use it primarily for 8x10 with a Bogen/Manfrotto 410 head and without center collumn.
    Excellent value for the money.

Waking up this thread as I am currently considering replacing my "Lightweight" Tripod (An old Manfrotto Pro190) with either a Feisol or a Gitzo, in the Gitzo corner we have the 2330 at £180 or the 2340L at £235. In the Feisol corner I guess it would be 3401 at £185 with center column or 3371 at £290 with same.

Interestingly here the smaller Gitzo has 3 sections vs 4 on the Feisol side and vice verca on the large comparison, these are the best direct matches I could find, either I have done something wrong or the two manufacturers are following different philosophies here.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but I would wager a guess that the fewer the sections the more stable the tripod?

Considering that the direct price comparison is almost on par with the smaller tripod lets stick to that example, is the Feisol really as rigid as the Gitzo? I apreciate that the Feisol is smaller when folded and weighs less.

Before you start bombarding me with "This won't hold a large format outfit" I was not really thinking of using this set of legs for my Toyo Monorail, I have a Barco thingy that I got from the classifieds here, it's like an Aluminium Ries and very large/heavy, works very well for my Monorail but I have at times used the Monorail on my 190 with only one bar attached and it has worked fairly well, so I will not rule out maybe using a small Gitzo or Feisol for this also, this would be why I am considering the larger ones.

Comments please.

//Jan

Quote Originally Posted by snip View Post
    Waking up this thread
    //Jan
    Just realised what a plonker I am, this thread is active not old, I looked at the last posters join date and thought that was the date of the post, ehehehe.

//Jan

Purchased a CT3441SB from Kerry in August and used it on a three week trip to the UK. The tripod performed flawlessly, light, steady, quick to set up and best of all it fit in my carry on bag/camera bag.

Needless to say Kerry was great to deal with answering many questions on a suitable tripod to buy taking into consideration the cameras I planned on using for the trip.

Cesare Berrti