Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A short drive to Inuvik, NWT

Re: A short drive to Inuvik, NWT

Hollis and Richard,

After posts like these, we now expect a photo report in the near future!
    it sounds like a great trip.

Hopelessly Lost

Sorry it has been a bit since I have posted but the internet connections are not that readily available up here.

Anyways, I am in Prince Rupert right now and for anyone who cares, you have to be at the ferry at 5:30 am in Port Hardy to depart by 7:30. It is a 15 hour trip and we got in at 10:30. The cost was $475 cdn for a vehicle and one person. You can get down to your car numerous times during the voyage so that is not a problem. I called and booked a hotel as soon as we had cell service nearing Prince Rupert.

Anyways, I leave in the morning for the long trek north and hopefully I won't be getting froze out once I get up there. I need to go and pick up a second spare tire (not looking forward to that) but better safe than sorry. I think that a tire patch kit and some tire slime for dire situations would be good.

I had to cut short my travels on Vancouver island so as not to go too late in the season otherwise I would still be down there slaying the steelhead and giving my fly rod some much needed flex.

Ok, photos will be forthcoming.
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.

Hollis,

Don't know about the fishing, but Vancouver Island is great year round. If you didn't make it to the west coast of the island, by all means try to get there.

Good luck! Stay warm!
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

I'm trying to find the route and info now... as an option for you. But one of the most stunning roadtrips I'd ever taken was INLAND on the mainland, parallel to the train's path through the interior. There were some just STUNNING settings... not a road well-travelled - but it was kept up decently (gravel) - but WELL worth it! You might consider that as an option on the way back. Vancouver island pales in comparison...

Even with limited time, driving the Dempster would be a highlight in anyone’s lifetime. The Tombstones will simply take your breath away. It’s a shame you probably won’t have time to visit the spectacular Kluane National Park, or the amazing Chilkoot trail.

I would skip driving the Alaska Hwy on the way back (tedious and boring) and drive the 37 back down. After Meziadin Lake take a right turn onto Nisga’a Hwy (113) and head for New Aiyansh and photograph the moonscaped lava beds. Then head down to Terrace and try the legendary Copper (Zymoetz) for Steelhead. You won’t regret it. There are many other rivers that you can try, the Bulkley, Kispiox, Nass, Kalum, and the Sustat. If you love steelheading you may never go home. Then there is Rainbow Alley on the Babine. Anyways, happy photographing (and fishing).

Hollis,

Tire Slime - as you call it - requires that you re-inflate the tire asap. I once used three cans of that crap and barely made it five miles. Anyway, I'm glad that you've decided to buy a second spare. Happy trails.

pkphotog - thanks for the location tips.

Hopelessly Lost

I have hiked Kluane a few times and loved it, amazing place. I actually have a few first ascents of some peaks there (very minor though). Anyways, I have bad news. I was actually going north to New Aiyansh today to set up camp and on the way up there I ended up rolling my truck 4 times due to some loose (unseen) gravel on a sweeping turn. I am unhurt, not a scratch actually, but the truck is totaled. Fortunately, all my gear is safe and sound. I am really, really not happy about the situation. I will have to come back up but with some company that time. Now, I am stuck in Terrace until insurance figures it all out. So, if anyone is in Terrace and wants to take me shooting or fishing, let me know. You can drive but I will pitch in some gas for sure.
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.