Thread: Help with info on WWII Combat Camera

Help with info on WWII Combat Camera

I got this beauty as a gift. I already got some info online (cameraquest), but I'd like to tap into the huge LF knowledge of this board and get more info and suggestions on my new baby.

Here's a couple links I found online:
    http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...hp/t21138.html
    http://www.cameraquest.com/graphcombat.htm

A few photos I took of mine:

What I aready know:

- Manufactured in 1942, there is a civilian version made in 1945 called Graphic 45
    - Doesn't use a bellows for focusing, screw instead
    - Has two types of shutter... leaf up to 1/400 and curtain (up to 1/1000)
    - This is the military version (U.S. Navy), look at the anchor. There is another military version made for the marines in gray.

So here are my questions:

1-Based on the pictures, you can see the state is not pristine. It has some rust areas and some areas the paint is gone. Do you think it still has value as a collector's item?

2-Do you think it is a good idea to restore it? I don't want to loose some things like the instructions on the top written on the adhesive tape... it looks like they were written a long time ago, so how to restore it without compromising it "antique" look?

3-How to estimate its value?

4-Do you have any... any at all... information on this camera?

Cheers!

Re: Help with info on WWII Combat Camera

A few more:

And the last ones:

I love the instruction list on the top of the camera.

It's a Combat Graphic. Someone has put a later model Graflok back on it. I wouldn't classify these as particularly rare but they are uncommon. More info cn be found at www.graflex.org. I would try to restore it. It's a fully usable camera. Please try to find an OD spring back like it's supposed to have. They show up on that auction thingy now and then. Nice find!

W K Longcor

Quote Originally Posted by Padu Merloti View Post
    So here are my questions:

1-Based on the pictures, you can see the state is not pristine. It has some rust areas and some areas the paint is gone. Do you think it still has value as a collector's item?

2-Do you think it is a good idea to restore it? I don't want to loose some things like the instructions on the top written on the adhesive tape... it looks like they were written a long time ago, so how to restore it without compromising it "antique" look?

3-How to estimate its value?

4-Do you have any... any at all... information on this camera?

Cheers!
    1- Does it have collector value? YES! It is also HISTORY in your hands.

2- restore it? NO! NO !! NO !!! Gently clean -- maybe. Do NOTHING that wil in any way change the original finish. The chips and dings are battle scars (maybe only from being tossed in the back of a jeep somewhere in California - but battle scars none the less.) Any tape residue that does not hold important printing -- clean with GOO-GONE ( citris cleaner) if the tape goo is 65years old and hard -- you may need to let it soak under a paper towel wet with the goo-gone. Don't dig or scrape the paint. MAYBE, very carefully clean the rust with 0000 steel wool ( also wet with goo-gone).

3- Most of the price guides listed this camera -- but they are usually out of date.

4- The sources you list already have given you a good start on the history -- keep Googling.

I would do nothing more than get it into a functionally sound state and clean off whatever dust and dirt is on it. Tape marks all held something at some time, some still do, and they're about all thats left to tell people that this camera has had a life.

Now, on the other hand, I acquired a studio camera a few months ago and decided to sand and re-stain the whole thing. The original finish was in such a condition that it was an embarrassment to itself, and I restored it to its former glory.

Every camera has its own style of looking good, its our job to make that happen and not go overboard. My studio camera was made for a time and place where it needed to be the centerpoint of the operation, your combat graphic was made for quick and dirty shooting unbefitting a pristine, clean piece of equipment. Let it shine for what it is: the jeep of cameras!

-Patrick

PS: you lucky son of a gun, I've always wanted a combat graphic!

I wouldn't worry about the historical value unless you make some famous photos with it. Paint it purple and shoot a lot.

I think Hot-Pink is a better choice in colour.

Frank makes as equally important point as anybody else. It depends how YOU want the camera, and whether YOU want to sell it any time soon. If you fall in love with it "I'll never sell it" and you can deal with altering its appearance, go crazy.

I've only written my name on one camera, and that's the one camera I intend to keep. All others, even the ones I thought I'd never part with, most often are parted with. So if you're worried about value, only do so much as to make it look a little cleaner. If you're not worried about value, do what you like (like I did with a Speed Graphic I got cheap and ruined!)

Vintage collectibility...Do not restore... True collectors would love to find a mint collectible, but the reality is that collectible value is first and most often based on the item being unmolested.... as in UNrestored original condition.

Historical collectibility... Do not restore. You'll kill the history.

No true collector would be likely to pay top dollar for a camera that looks new, only because it was stripped down, repainted, shutter rebuilt or replaced with same model but not the original.

Many areas of collector markets are starting to break down into Restorations and Unrestored Original, with unrestored original starting to grab the bigger dollars. They are commonly referred to as the "survivor" market.